Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by SearingDrive »

I will always support Offaly teams when they line out, including today. No change in that policy.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

First water break and I don’t know which is worse, the stream or our performance. Meath playing all the decent hurling and leading 0-06 to 1-02. Offaly have 8 wides to Meath’s none.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Huge improvement in both the stream and our performance in the 2nd quarter including a fantastically worked goal finished by Adrian Haynes. Unfortunately we have lost both our corner backs to injury, Damo Egan replacing Joey Keenagahn and Paddy Rigney replacing Paddy Delaney.

Meath have a strong wind at their backs in 2nd half. We’ve probably hit 12 wides aswell. Ross Ravenhill and Liam Langton showing up reasonably well.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Meath 2-9 Offaly 3-20 EXCELLENT RESULT. Especially considering the hard work they made in the game in Birr last year.....

Hoping they can keep it going now........

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

brilliant great win 16 point win not alot seen this coming , great to see so many on the scoresheet today . alot of work still to do big game next weekend against the kingdom we owe them one . confidence should be good after today .well done to team and backroom team.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Important win for Offaly today. Well done to all. Kerry next in Tullamore, on Sunday.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Result aside what did ye think of the performance? Could certainly see what they were trying to do.

I’d be worried if we gave kerry or carlow a start like that they might make us pay more. Good showing from a young group though.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:30 pm Result aside what did ye think of the performance? Could certainly see what they were trying to do.

I’d be worried if we gave kerry or carlow a start like that they might make us pay more. Good showing from a young group though.

both teams first day out meath started well but offaly also had 8 wides but after the water break only one side in it. good to see the team push on and win well unlike last year we didn’t put teams away when on top Antrim game comes to mind . look only first day out bigger games to come.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What is pleasing is that Offaly took control in the 2nd quarter after the water break.
This is precisely the point of the game where Offaly usually start to unravel against underdogs and create the beginnings of a shock.

It's a good sign that after a poor opening the unit used the break to straighten out matters. Which hopefully means there is a unity of purpose and a belief in a plan.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Very concerned about our goalkeeping situation to be honest.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:59 am
frankthetank wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm 33% of that team were hurling in a glorified intermediate club championship in 2020.

53% of that team didn’t win a senior club championship game in 2020.

Makes you think that the best hurlers in the county are not on that panel due to their own choice or through management selections.

Damning enough in its own right.

Could anyone hazard what out strongest team, on paper, would look like? I do think this would be classed as a comparatively understrength team. Not withstanding best of luck to the lads, can never beat Meath by enough so hopefully they put the hammer down.
I've never put much stock on the grade a player operates at. You can have marquee senior clubs delivering with solid squads and not possessing anyone particularly exceptional. A grade or two down, one fella could be performing miracles and carrying a whole parish on his back.

Coincidentally Neil Francis (Lord help us) touched on something similar today in the Indo when discussing the Lions selections:
Ireland had a few cribs and they need to be looked at. However, one anomaly has not really entered the public consciousness yet. The Leinster contingent’s heritage is a little shy of the mainstream. Jack Conan (St Gerard’s College), Andrew Porter (St Andrew’s College), Tadhg Furlong (Good Counsel) and Robbie Henshaw (Marist College) are not exactly the schools you mention when the famed Leinster conveyor belt of talent is brought up in conversation.

So if you want your son to win a Leinster schools medal, send him to Blackrock College. If you want your son to play for Leinster send him to St Michael’s. If you want your son to play for the Lions . . .
So some Rock old boys may be spluttering on their caviar and twanging their braces wondering why chaps from Athlone and Wexford are making Irish teams while fine blue bloods from the winningest schools teams aren't getting a look in.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Great result today. Was apprehensive

Big one next week.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

frankthetank wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:48 pm Very concerned about our goalkeeping situation to be honest.
3 goals does grab the attention. Did not watch the game. Did anything happen specifically to cause your concern?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:09 pm
BiffoInThurso wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:59 am
frankthetank wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm 33% of that team were hurling in a glorified intermediate club championship in 2020.

53% of that team didn’t win a senior club championship game in 2020.

Makes you think that the best hurlers in the county are not on that panel due to their own choice or through management selections.

Damning enough in its own right.

Could anyone hazard what out strongest team, on paper, would look like? I do think this would be classed as a comparatively understrength team. Not withstanding best of luck to the lads, can never beat Meath by enough so hopefully they put the hammer down.
I've never put much stock on the grade a player operates at. You can have marquee senior clubs delivering with solid squads and not possessing anyone particularly exceptional. A grade or two down, one fella could be performing miracles and carrying a whole parish on his back.

Coincidentally Neil Francis (Lord help us) touched on something similar today in the Indo when discussing the Lions selections:
Ireland had a few cribs and they need to be looked at. However, one anomaly has not really entered the public consciousness yet. The Leinster contingent’s heritage is a little shy of the mainstream. Jack Conan (St Gerard’s College), Andrew Porter (St Andrew’s College), Tadhg Furlong (Good Counsel) and Robbie Henshaw (Marist College) are not exactly the schools you mention when the famed Leinster conveyor belt of talent is brought up in conversation.

So if you want your son to win a Leinster schools medal, send him to Blackrock College. If you want your son to play for Leinster send him to St Michael’s. If you want your son to play for the Lions . . .
So some Rock old boys may be spluttering on their caviar and twanging their braces wondering why chaps from Athlone and Wexford are making Irish teams while fine blue bloods from the winningest schools teams aren't getting a look in.
Franno doesn’t rate Scots either.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

credit to the the Offaly hurlers where it is due, as others said above, they pushed on and put the game well out of sight once they got ahead, I will add though that Meath did seem to fall very much asunder...I have mentioned in other GAA forms that I hope for the sake of hurling that the so called weaker counties (Meath etc.) do not regress from the steady team they had over the last few years..they seemed very very all over the shop yesterday, Offaly were good yesterday moving the ball very well..I think the reality lies somewhere in the middle of Offaly playing reasonably well, and Meath being poor from waterbreak onwards...Westmeath took a pasting from Galway, and Laois from Wexford in the Divisions above us, and these counties were beating us last year, so I would be a tad worried about our exact standing..all we can do is play who we are pitted against...I was very impressed in Brian Watkins whom some had concerns about his age etc. but yesterday he was excellent I thought, Langton popped up all over the field and was impressed with him too..Clancy whom I was glad got his chance will be disappointed with one of the last 2 Meath goals, but to be fair the game was up and concentration levels were probably weaning, but at least those late goals were not crucial to the result etc..Kerry next weekend I think will be a stronger test, assuming they havent regressed, they ran up a nice tall yesterday and hopefully our lads will go at it in a similar fashion and if they do, we will be ok I think in that game...