Offaly vs Louth 2021 Leinster Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Louth 2021 Leinster Football Championship

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This game will get lots of attention due to the Mickey Harte factor. He might have edged out Simon Casey back in 2003, but let's hope he doesn't repeat the dose this time.

Both teams will see this game as winnable. Louth have dropped to Division 4 but will expect to get a bounce from the new regime and make strides this year. Offaly have been a bit better than Louth of late and need to show progress by advancing in the Leinster Championship.

History is not in Offaly's favour when it comes to jilted managers taking over backwater counties while on the rebound. Think of Micko going to Leix in 2003 and Paidi to Meathwest in 2004. Both of those bandwagons would never have gotten the handbrake off, only for dubious wins against Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Louth 2021 Leinster Football Championship

Post by SearingDrive »

Two different Hartes. Offaly will be looking for a total eclipse of the Harte. Time will tell if Offaly can advance, we hope they can.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Its debatable to say if Offaly are better than Louth, yes Louth were relegated and Offaly werent I suppose is the marker..interesting to see if Niall McNamee now is fully fit for championship...Louth will have Sam Mulroy and as is nearl always the case with Louth they might not win the game but you can be sure Mulroy or his equivalent will weigh in with 1-10 of a personal tally..Offaly will have either McNamee or Allen top scorer with 0-6 or so and 4 or 5 of them will be frees..we have stablized a bit, maybe over playing the ball a bit and bit too cautious by times, and of course a fully fit match winner up front...I take it Cian Johnson isnt going to feature this campaign...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:40 am I take it Cian Johnson isnt going to feature this campaign...
Why not?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

last reputable football source I heard only a few months back he either needed or was waiting on an operation or other..the vibe I got was that it was going to have him out for abit...that said maybe with lockdown he had the operation and had loads of time to recover...we could do with him and Niall McNamee if at all possible...

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Wish him the best. Hope he able to recover.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I see Niall McNamee broke his finger or something but expects to be ok for championship anyway from the fleeting look at the headings of the story...

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

It is jusrt great to see Joe back on board , the league is set up for a semi final appearance with both limerick and wicklow two of the weakest teams we could have faced.
rack up a big score in both games,
see where we are against tipp,

in regards championship
we should beat louth and then i think we have a right shout againsta completely overated kildare team.

im excited for the year ahead now, forward line for 2021

shane horan, joe maher , anton sullivan
cian johnson , niall mcnamee, cian farrell

an exciting forward line at last. :D
based on ability and recent club form etc,
the only player that would make that front 6 is nigal dunne, other than that jack bryant and ruari mcnamee will push as well hopefully as both were really good for clubs,

is michael brazil gone off the panel completely or what is the story? we are short of big men in the middle third.
conor mcnamee gone as well,

i know we still have eoin carrol, peter cunnigham, cathal mangan,

league rd 1 prediction
offaly 3-14 wicklow 1-11

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tmacmahon wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:55 am It is jusrt great to see Joe back on board , the league is set up for a semi final appearance with both limerick and wicklow two of the weakest teams we could have faced.
rack up a big score in both games,
see where we are against tipp,

in regards championship
we should beat louth and then i think we have a right shout againsta completely overated kildare team.

im excited for the year ahead now, forward line for 2021

shane horan, joe maher , anton sullivan
cian johnson , niall mcnamee, cian farrell

an exciting forward line at last. :D
based on ability and recent club form etc,
the only player that would make that front 6 is nigal dunne, other than that jack bryant and ruari mcnamee will push as well hopefully as both were really good for clubs,

is michael brazil gone off the panel completely or what is the story? we are short of big men in the middle third.
conor mcnamee gone as well,

i know we still have eoin carrol, peter cunnigham, cathal mangan,

league rd 1 prediction
offaly 3-14 wicklow 1-11
Cian Johnson is recovering from a serious injury, as reported above. He may not be available for the league, or opening championship game. The Wicklow game is not a foregone conclusion, as Offaly find it hard to win there, you should know that. In the league Offaly footballers, have depended on the last game of the season, to avoid the drop. Tipperary will be a tough one, Limerick won’t be simple either. I would love to see Offaly make a serious effort to get promoted this year, but with two provincial champions in the groups, it will be a big ask.
Offaly have to first overcome Louth, before they face Kildare. Nothing guaranteed there. I will be supporting Offaly like yourself in 2021, but nothing is guaranteed before games are played.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Guys, as my good friend Kriss Akabusi said on manys an occasion, "PMA - Positive Mental Attitude".

Offaly should be entering the Louth game full of confidence and a Louth team that has badly regressed in the last 3 or 4 seasons should not cause anyone any sleepless nights, thats for sure.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

how well did u know him kid?

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

Hyper wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:02 pm how well did u know him kid?
My brother from another mother, man.
We'd play 5-a-side on the Astro over in Clara, manys a summer night, after hours, just the two of us. Often without a ball.
Special times. We had a special bond.
Clara too, a special place, with many, many special people.
Simpler times. Simpler people.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Agree with BNM man, and I did feel as I said that we would be up against it.
But aside from the players there were a few supporters that got the trip to Croker again so they will have had that experience.

The strong angles of running that Derry brought to the game and our inability to turn them was crucial. Also the easy handling errors that we made at the early stages drained us a bit. We could easily have had 4 points up during the first quarter. Granted we were steeped that Derry didn't have a couple of extra goals to their credit in the first half.
We were beaten up on our own kick out and this is something I would have feared, however if Louth do press I think we will be able to counter that a lot easier than last week.

We have a few decisions to make now, do you throw Aaron Leavy/Cathal Mangan/Bill Carroll or Moloney in and hope they can get their hands on ball and who do you leave out?
Peter C, Ruari M, Shane Horan, J Lalor offered nothing in the tackle and this killed us. Panda might be injured, but is not going well.
Joe Maher is not really up to the pace of intercounty and will need another season from what I've seen.

On the other hand, this team has beaten Tipp/Limeric/Wicklow and Fermanagh, so Maughan is unlikely to make many changes, with many of the guys keen to make amends for the performance. We've given a decent performance in Navan 2 years ago and no reason why we can't, if the atitude is right get over the line and get another championship victory which would be great.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Depending on the result, the post match analysis will reveal that the outcome was obvious all along. :mrgreen:

Louth win - Mickey Harte x factor. Tired Offaly shouldn't have played the League final, Louth waiting in the long grass, Offaly got carried away with a couple of league wins.
Offaly win - Mickey Harte washed up, on the rebound, chasing expenses. Offaly learned from the Derry match, playing in Divison 3 a big help, moving in the right direction.

Also, the media and pundits are rooting for a Louth win because it will give headlines, talking points and something to pump up. So losing would be extra annoying with the extra hooha it would attract.