Poem

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Poem

Post by biffinbanner »

unusual one. i had a poem in my work locker for years.basically i lost it.id love to get again. its was either penned by a grennan man or a brennan. its was about the great offaly hurling events in 1998. it started off roughly come all ye from gaeldom and listen to me. if you come from the slaney the nore or the lee or similar. its a great piece of poetry..id love a copy if anyone has any memory or idea about it..thanks

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: poem

Post by Fairplayalways »

I think I know the man you are on about...leave it with me and I will message him..wont put his name up here as I dont think he would like that (he wouldnt mind but I wouldnt do it either)..when I hear back I will message you here...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

biffinbanner wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:01 pm unusual one. i had a poem in my work locker for years.basically i lost it.id love to get again. its was either penned by a grennan man or a brennan. its was about the great offaly hurling events in 1998. it started off roughly come all ye from gaeldom and listen to me. if you come from the slaney the nore or the lee or similar. its a great piece of poetry..id love a copy if anyone has any memory or idea about it..thanks
I have two men in the frame, one was Jim Brennan from Daingean, and various google searches sees mention of the poem about Offaly hurling but verses etc...the second man is a man named Alo Grennan from Rahan I think originally, but I think is living in the UK now, he wrote a poem as well, and I may be able to access that...do any of them names ring a bell?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Folks, I received a message to say a close family connection of one of the gentlemen mentioned has seen this post and is checking to see if he still has the poem.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

appreciated very much.grennan i think..

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

its a brilliant poem..if i get it i wont lose it again!!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Poem

Post by Fairplayalways »

was the poem ever uncovered?

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

There was manager called John Maughan,
Who was wiry, wore shorts and all brawn,
3 years in the sticks, his team finally clicks,
batin Tipp nearly back to Puckane!!

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

no. sadly it was never located . im still hopeful though. i wont lose it again!!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I will message my friend again, maybe he unearthed his poem...I will let ya know.

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

the lad that sent me it is from rhode but when i asked him about it he has no recollection of it or ever sending it..id say it was written in late 98 or early 99 as it was mostly about the 98 events..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

your friend in Rhode sounds abit like the ould major in Fawlty Towers minding the horse winning for Basil Fawlty :lol:

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

same lad would tell you who played left corner forward for offfaly in 1973 leinster minor 1st round!! but cant remember this.

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

reading the lovely tribute there on the late great john glennon .rip.a great rhode and offaly man. i have a feeling he was the man that wrote the long lost poem..