Har Donnelly R.I.P.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Har Donnelly R.I.P.

Post by ryot »

R.I.P. Har, a hero of 1960 & 61

The death has occurred of Harry (Har) Donnelly

Abbeyville, Arklow, Wicklow / Westmeath / Offaly
Harry (Har) Donnelly
Formerly of Offaly & Westmeath. Peacefully, beloved husband of Sheila, adored father of Ronald, Colm & Karen & much loved brother of Rita, Ann, Brendan & the late Syl. Deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife, sons, daughter, son-in-law Darren, daughters-in-law Jenny & Caroline, grandchildren Sarah, Kate, Ronan, Keelin & little angel Doireann, brother, sisters, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nephews, nieces, relatives & friends.
Rest in peace.
In accordance with government guidelines, Har’s funeral will take place in private. Removal from Sweeney’s Funeral Home on Saturday morning at 11.30, walking via his home in Abbeyville to St.’s Mary & Peter’s Church, arriving for Requiem Mass at 12 noon. Those who wish can join in the celebration of this Mass via the Arklow Parish Webcam www.arklowparish.ie/webcam/ Funeral afterwards to St. Gabriel’s Cemetery.
Messages of condolence & support may be expressed in the condolence section below. Family flowers only please. Donations in lieu, if desired, to Arklow Cancer Support Group www.arklowcancersupport.ie
Date Published: Thursday 4th February 2021Date of Death: Thursday 4th February 2021

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Har Donnelly R.I.P.

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rest in Peace, Har Donnelly.

A man who was a key component of Offaly's 1960 and '61 team. Rightly labelled The Faithful Pioneers by Ciarán Reilly and Pádraig Foy in their book of the same name. Har Donnelly made 58 appearances for Offaly between 1958 and 1964 (18 championship, 32 NFL, 6 O'Byrne Cup and 2 Grounds Tournament. Har scored 4-69 in the course of those 18 championship appearances, in an era when scores were hard to come by.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

Har did win an All Ireland medal======== with Westmeath Vocational Schools in the very first All Ireland Vocational Schools County Championship..

Their victims in the Final------- Offaly----

That Westmeath team also included at least one more Offaly man, from Tubber........

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Very well regarded member of that team.

May he rest in Peace.

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

where was Har from and what school did he attend to play for Westmeath Voc school?

Who was the Tubber man?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

feirmeoir wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 pm where was Har from and what school did he attend to play for Westmeath Voc school?

Who was the Tubber man?
Har Donnelly was from Kilcormac. His family later moved to Athlone, and Har probably attended Athlone Vocational School. Har was approached by someone in Offaly GAA, to declare for Offaly, as he could have played for Westmeath. His club when playing for Offaly was Air Corps, his employer.
In the 50’s and 60’s players ‘declared’ for a county, if born there, even if they lived in another county.
Har lived in Arklow Co. Wicklow, up to his death, and worked for Nitrigin Eireann.
Not sure about Tubber Man, Tubber is in Rosemount parish, Co. Westmeath.

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

Yes, Har did attend the Tech in Athlone and played for Westmeath Vocational School team.

He would have joined the Air Corps at age 15/16.

I have seen somewhere that he played Minor for Westmeath but cannot confirm.

The Air Corps team, he & Charlie Wren played on reached a few Dublin Finals. The one I recall was in 1960. It was played at Noon the same day Offaly played Carlow in Newbridge in the Leinster First Round. They played the first half of the Dublin Final and arrived onto the pitch in Newbridge after the National Anthem. They had to jump over kids sitting on the sideline as the place was jammed and kids was put out to the sideline. I was one of those kids.

To correct an earlier post: Rosemont is in Tubber Parish and the Offaly player did play Minor with both Ballycumber (with other Tubber players) and with Rosemont...... Rosemont won the Westmeath Minor Final but not the medals,,,,,,,,,,,,

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ryot wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:23 am Yes, Har did attend the Tech in Athlone and played for Westmeath Vocational School team.

He would have joined the Air Corps at age 15/16.

I have seen somewhere that he played Minor for Westmeath but cannot confirm.

The Air Corps team, he & Charlie Wren played on reached a few Dublin Finals. The one I recall was in 1960. It was played at Noon the same day Offaly played Carlow in Newbridge in the Leinster First Round. They played the first half of the Dublin Final and arrived onto the pitch in Newbridge after the National Anthem. They had to jump over kids sitting on the sideline as the place was jammed and kids was put out to the sideline. I was one of those kids.

To correct an earlier post: Rosemont is in Tubber Parish and the Offaly player did play Minor with both Ballycumber (with other Tubber players) and with Rosemont...... Rosemont won the Westmeath Minor Final but not the medals,,,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks for clarifying the parish issue. I thought Rosemount was the parish, with the cross border rivalry between Offaly and Westmeath.
Interesting one about the Minor football, why no medal presentation?

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

what year was the monir final?

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

I think he is referring to the obligatory "row"? No?