Offaly SHC 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly SHC 2021

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:48 pm I think Drumcullen who would of been underdogs would be well off 3 or 4 clubs in Offaly and get some big defeats.
There is a big gap in standards between Senior B and the A championship. Teams relegated to the B championship, and later promoted, have a better chance of staying up, than teams promoted from Senior B, with no previous experience in the higher grade. My own club, Clodiagh Gaels found the Senior A grade, a big change in 2017. We are still aiming for promotion to the A championship.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

They sure did. They conceded 4-17, 4-29, 7-24, 5-24 and 3-29 in their 5 games and lost their games on average by 24.4 points.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:43 pm They sure did. They conceded 4-17, 4-29, 7-24, 5-24 and 3-29 in their 5 games and lost their games on average by 24.4 points.
Tough watching those games.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

If they had to meet anyone other than Kinnitty in the semi final of the Senior B in 2020 they would have won and got promoted.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

looking like we are in for another "takeaway" club championship this year if we are lucky that is..and to try and play last years final too...

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Correct and right fairplayalways, and that’s a sobering notion for me anyway. The joy is somewhat stumped with the sheer amount of restrictions around the hosting of our games and I clearly know that must be the way. We must sacrifice the now for the freedom of the future. The enjoyment is no where near the same . It’s still great to have a talking point when the championship will be on , it’s just as a supporter it feels false. The craic of the game day and the whole area engrossed and sucked towards o Connor park or birr or whatever is magical and something that we all will cherish in the future. For now we sit at the kitchen table with a few family members trying to recreate a feeling that we simply can’t. There is no game day anticipation or nervous energy to sense of we are all in it together, the phone call after the game to big P to dissect the match is not the same as the walk back to the car wondering why the line was so slow to bring on little mark. If we didn’t have it all the same we’d be gone mad so Thank God there is something to look forward to.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

with a traditional team( like Clareen) in the final against maybe a non traditional hurling club, Clareen will be favourites, often having beaten the ir opponents (easily) in the group stages, the tables realistically wont be reversed in the final either, so getting the final is an incentive if you get promoted by getting there, it isnt re-inventing the wheel or anything suggesting the runner up gets promoted, I am sure it has happened in other gaelic codes and other sports...

Northoffhurling
Junior C

Post by Northoffhurling »

Strange that Seir Kieran have never made the break through, they have great players at there disposal they have forwards like Joe Bergin, Adrian Hynes, Kevin Dunne, Tom Carroll, James Mulrooney and Barry Kealey, Tom Dooley came into the team last year and the couple of games I seen him in last year’s championship he looked very exciting, also Luke Carey coming in this year who looked like the Offaly minor teams most dangerous foward. Strong backs also in Eanna Murphy, Dermot Mooney and Sean Coughlan interesting to see will they ever make the break through, think we need seir kieran producing to get Offaly hurling back.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Clareen produced a stunning u21 win in the last 10- 12 years i think and they are as you say a traditional hurling power. they always produced very talented players, in every era they have numerous county standard hurlers. they probably never had quiet enough to make a breaktrough since their last win in the mid 90s , i cant say they underachieved at senior , they just hadnt the panel of players good enough to win a championship since the back to back in the mid 90s which was incredible considering birr were the best club team in ireland

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

and to be fair to Clareen, when Rynaghs struggled with the makings of a strong team, it was Clareen who could catch Birr on any given day...Rynaghs always seemed to almost catch Birr, but ultimately wouldnt but Clareen just seemed to be able to up it for Birr on some big occassions (I am sure it didnt happen too often but it did happen along the way from memory)..Clareens problem now is like the rest of rural Irleand (and absolutely no disrespect to them or any rural club) but the last 20 years has seen a massive change in young people staying around their local areas and opting to travel instead...Clareen no different and with population affected worse as if 2 or 3 decide to travel or opt out for a year, its a massive blow to them, where as the town clubs would be able to manage somewhat better...its a pity rural Ireland is the way it is now, and the Greens in power will decimate it altogether if they get their way...all very well but who can afford "green" living...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

The question is can we afford to not live Green???

Hopefully with the movement towards remote working, (if it is fully embraced) we could have a situation where rural areas are revitalised?
This has to be the ambition of every TD for their regions...feck sake it took a pandemic to provide a bit of outside the box thinking!!

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Rant over, back to the hurling!

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Rule changes in hurling

Post by Liam2020 »

I think the sin bin and a penalty is an over reaction. It should have been a free from 21 and a sin bin.
Now teams will be ultra defensive. teams will try slow down the game during the sin bin. It will lead to forwards diving inside the 21,
Should the forward not be sin bin for diving also.
Will this not completely change the game, which has become boring in recent years.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sur lookit wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:55 pm The question is can we afford to not live Green???

Hopefully with the movement towards remote working, (if it is fully embraced) we could have a situation where rural areas are revitalised?
This has to be the ambition of every TD for their regions...feck sake it took a pandemic to provide a bit of outside the box thinking!!
Eco Eye on RTE last night Tues 2nd March, had a house "retro fitted" including a heat pump and now house has A2 rating...the owner calmly said the entire cost came to €70,000 for which a grant of "upto" €35K was available...my point always is, who on earth can afford to spend that type of money €35K on "retro fitting" or whatever fancy name you put on it..yeah yeah you will save it over the life of the house etc. but that wont pay the bills next week or next month or next year...its way way too expensive to live like that in the here and now...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Rule changes in hurling

Post by Fairplayalways »

Liam2020 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:11 pm I think the sin bin and a penalty is an over reaction. It should have been a free from 21 and a sin bin.
Now teams will be ultra defensive. teams will try slow down the game during the sin bin. It will lead to forwards diving inside the 21,
Should the forward not be sin bin for diving also.
Will this not completely change the game, which has become boring in recent years.
sin bin all very well with 10 minutes or more left, what happens in the last few seconds of injury time when a player is put through and the defender takes one for the team, for argument sake the penalty is saved..the sin bin then is of no extra punishment, the sin binned team will hardly start the next game with 14 players for 10 minutes now will they...I dont know..the above scenario could happen as the rules are, the defending team might take the risk on the penalty...other than that we are going down silly rugby rules like "penalty goal" or something being awarded to ensure the defender wont take down the player...there is no easy fix to the rule..the sin bin will be okish if committed in time for the offending team to be reduced to 14 for 10 minutes, but as I say, its only half the price for the crime if its committed in the last moments of the game...