Should we stick with Michael Fennelly now?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Should we stick with Michael Fennelly now?

Post by Fairplayalways »

not related I know, but with Eddie Brennan gone in Laois, should Offaly stick with Michael Fennelly and current set up?..I know it has been covered here in under other topics/headings but just said I would give the matter its own space here..I think we possibly should, will we be any further on in a year or two?..I know it wont be fixed overnight or in the near future, but what is progress either...how do we quantify it...or will we be here next year saying "well this didnt happen or that didnt happen etc."...

private joker
All Star

Re: Should we stick with Michael Fennelly now?

Post by private joker »

100% stick with fennelly. The problems are far more deep rooted. No point in changing the roof when there's cracks in the foundations.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Stick w him.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Context:
1) Missed targets this year. What is Michael Fennelly's view, reasons for and what did he learn, do differently

2) Proposed solutions to meet them next year, can he deliver, can Co Board support solutions.

3) Are there blinding alternatives that can guarantee success (probably not)

If there is a positive meeting around 1 & 2 between him and the Co Board then (and he has indicated he wants to stay), we stick.

But hey, not my call...but at this stage County Board would not want to embark on a search. I'd say its a done deal.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Yes, as long as it's in an unpaid capacity as a GAA volunteer.
If anything outside of mileage expenses is going on them absolutely no he should be gone.
Our financial resources are not there to be squandered.
My 96 year old granny could have managed our hurlers to 3rd place in division 2A and to a semi final defeat in the Christy Ring this year, bless her.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Stay with Michael Fennelly. I don’t see an alternate candidate willing to take over. the problems in Offaly go beyond the manager. Personally I think speculating about changing managers is unhelpful, but the poster is entitled to his/ her opinion.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

I don't see many other alternative candidates at this stage and in fairness the covid probably restricted his preparation.
Who else are we going to get? Let's have suggestions?

However after paying our big money for a manager and his set up, it's really disappointing to say that we could not even get out of Christy ring Cup.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I cannot see our chats here being on the table at a county board meeting discussing the future of Offlay hurling/manager...looking at replies so far the main view is he stays and I would hesitantly go with that right now..hopefully we will be winning whatever cup it is we are in next year and step on from there..2nd rung from the bottom is not a nice place to be for a once hurling force...be it not too long a time frame in hurling history over all..we made great strides in 40 years to go back to the bottom again..