Management committee

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Management committee

Post by kingscounty »

I see Pat Horan has stepped down as secretary in what looks like controversial circumstances as he stated ‘ management told members not to vote for him’. This leaves the way for Colm Cummins to take the spot unopposed,

Sur lookit
Senior

Re: Management committee

Post by Sur lookit »

Can people not lobby for other candidates?

I think Pat should stand his corner if he wants to stay. The fact that someone might vote or prefer the option of working with Colm Cummins does not mean that they would not work professionally with Pat Horan.
I wish him well, but I think you are better off deciding to fight or not and let it rest if not. At the end of the day it comes down to politics when 2 people are contesting a position, and no more political than the GAA! Hard necks all round required.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Who on the top table is canvassing against the outgoing secretary. Very bad form if it is but not surprised. Any idea who it was? Surely it came from some of the duignan team that came in last year. Could it be duignan himself??

Maybe canvassing didn't come from top table but from another high up position :shock: :wink:

Similar situation happened a few years ago when there was a change in one of the long term officers and the winner won by a few votes. Canvassing happened from certain quarters to get one man out and another man in just by a very few votes. However what goes around comes around eventually.

I think it's every man for himself in the world of gaa politics. And sometimes unfortunately it's not the person who is elected is the best candidate for the job.

I think pat should have stood for election although I can see the reasons he stepped away.. I think he would have won the election or maybe the top table has canvassed their clubs and he did the sums on it.. He was only one of two left on the county board who would have been from the South of the county. But I think he would be a stronger candidate than cummins.

I think Cummins as development officer would be better able to lead change and development rather than be swamped in the day to day running of the county and administration. What exactly has pat done wrong? I always found him a gentleman.

Cant understand why Cummins couldn't go wait until Pats 5 year term was up. Part of me thinks that Cummins has his eye on a bigger permanent job in the gaa world coming up soon :wink:

It's a pity that the covid is around because then we would be able to see if this new duignan led committee can walk the talk.

You'd think for the sake of avoiding a fall out, duignan would have said to Cummins to hold off for a while. Maybe it's duignan and ballinamere influence that want cummins in a secretary.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

it was on the Midland Tribune that some of the committee were apparently canvassing for other candidates/asking people not to vote (same difference as they say) for Pat Horan, I think its not good to be saying it was Michael Duignan himself, which is unfair as surely of all people he would be clever enough to steer clear...I think if Pat Horan thinks that canvassing etc. does or should not happen, especially in the GAA he is not as clever as I thought he would be, of course canvassing or recommendations go on behind the scenes, who hasnt been to an AGM where something is proposed and that the club want, and if anyone raises any doubts, the matter is adjoured (to circle the wagons in the background and to go again at it maybe with just the committee present and not the ordinary members etc.)...not awfully up to speed with the various roles but I am sure who ever gets it will do their best for Offaly...I think Horan should have stayed, contested, and if he lost out and felt the canvassing issue was infact an issue, spell it out then...I know you might say then it looks like sour grapes, but, personally I think he should have stood and see what happened...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Colm Cummins is obviously an able candidate, who missed out on joining the executive last year. I think he has a national role with the GAA. This year he will be at the top table, it would have been more transparent if there was a contest with the incumbent. It appears in my view like an arrangement, but that hardly happened did it?
Ideally all positions should be contested at AGM time.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

What role do you see him having at a national level?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Hasselhoff wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:48 pm What role do you see him having at a national level?
Can’t name role, but I have heard him quoted in media. A check on GAA national officers should provide answer.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Colm is chairman of the GAA’s Community Development, Urban and Rural committee. It's an appointed role.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-plans-to-ta ... hic-shift/
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

What the f...?

Of course theres canvassing in the GAA for jobs, Jaysus its politics lads.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Lone Shark wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:14 pm Colm is chairman of the GAA’s Community Development, Urban and Rural committee. It's an appointed role.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-plans-to-ta ... hic-shift/
Thanks for the information LS.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Dolores slevin back in on leinster Council.

Very tight vote.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I see Tullamore issued a letter to all gaa clubs in Offaly over the rent due on OCP.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tullamore can like it or lump it, the Offaly cuckoo has control of the nest now!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Tullamore can like or lump it in my opinion.

Am I correct in saying there is still levy on every club in Offaly for OCP? So all the other clubs around the county raise finances which effectively go into the arse pocket of Tullamore GAA. And then they want the clubs to have sympathy for them because the county board can’t afford the rent, which is index linked to match inflation, in the middle of a Global Pandemic!! Give me a break!

Tullamore GAA enter 5 adult male teams in championships across the grades. So do Kilcormac/Killoughey and they get on fine without a bonus of around €50,000 from Offaly GAA. Christ, a small rural club like Coolderry enter 4 teams.

And even with this financial package hurling is a disgrace in the town. Their “senior” team is at best the 12th best team in the county and to be quite honest I’d say Kilcormac’s second team would beat them.

I’d love to see the county board quietly sound out Birr, see what they can offer with regards the hosting of matches, and break the lease of their agreement with Tullamore.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

frankthetank wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:34 pm Tullamore can like or lump it in my opinion.

Am I correct in saying there is still levy on every club in Offaly for OCP? So all the other clubs around the county raise finances which effectively go into the arse pocket of Tullamore GAA. And then they want the clubs to have sympathy for them because the county board can’t afford the rent, which is index linked to match inflation, in the middle of a Global Pandemic!! Give me a break!

Tullamore GAA enter 5 adult male teams in championships across the grades. So do Kilcormac/Killoughey and they get on fine without a bonus of around €50,000 from Offaly GAA. Christ, a small rural club like Coolderry enter 4 teams.

And even with this financial package hurling is a disgrace in the town. Their “senior” team is at best the 12th best team in the county and to be quite honest I’d say Kilcormac’s second team would beat them.

I’d love to see the county board quietly sound out Birr, see what they can offer with regards the hosting of matches, and break the lease of their agreement with Tullamore.
Well said. Tullamore are laughable in terms of their participation levels, success in both codes, representation on county teams.

I cannot even begin to comprehend what our club with do with the kind of money Tullamore get handed to them every year for not lifting a finger. Let them run OCP and see what happens.