Minor Football

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Sur lookit
Senior

Minor Football

Post by Sur lookit »

Minor footballers play Wicklow on Saturday in Tullamore at 1pm.

Feast of activity and only few parents allowed in.

Ken Furlong has done a decent job I hear but hard to know how it will go. Wicklow beat Longford just before the lockdown.

Good luck to them anyway.

Sur lookit
Senior

Re: Minor Football

Post by Sur lookit »

Fair dues to the lads, dug it out when looked to be going against them.

Few decent players there, but may find the step up against Kildare next week too much.
Great workrate and fairly well organised though.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Best of luck to management and players tomorrow.
Imagine the excitement if we were told last year that our minor footballers would play the same day as the Senior All Ireland?

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Sur lookit wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:04 pm Best of luck to management and players tomorrow.
Imagine the excitement if we were told last year that our minor footballers would play the same day as the Senior All Ireland?
+1

Go git 'em!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Super win for minors.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Well done to all involved great boost, Meath up next

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

great win well done to players and mentors . a win on sunday for the minor hurlers and we be in both finals for the first time since 1989 .

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Super display, word was they are a hard working bunch and they definitely improved again from last week. All players made great contributions but from knowing a little about the work that goes on with S&C at underage and the gradual improvement of many of the teams year on year (over last 5 years) as they progress to u20, much credit must go to the GPO's etc.

Management team must take credit for how well organised they are and whilst Meath will be a step up again there is no doubt that this group are learning game by game and should give a good account of themselves.

So well done, to all who supported them, from parents, coaches (club and county), schools etc. Tis great, and best of luck to the captain of this bunch Cormac in the hurling tomorrow.

Uibh Fhaili abu!

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Super win today. It's a long time since I saw an Offaly team play with such passion and assurance. A very balanced team that is strong in all sectors, with some outstanding individuals. Still a lot to work on, such as shot selection. They can build on this and bring home a Leinster title.
Last edited by first_touch on Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

first_touch wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:49 pm Super win today. It's a long time since I saw an Offaly team play with such passion and assurance. A very balanced team that is strong in all sectors, with some outstanding individuals. Still a lot to work on, such as shit selection. They can build on this and bring home a Leinster title.
I’d say you meant shot selection. It was a great win for Offaly today. I thought Kildare might win, but credit to everyone involved. Leinster final up next.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Well that was brilliant stuff. I've already heard today that "pressure is off now and they can go out and enjoy the final and see how they get on".
That shite does my head in. The pressure is absolutely on them now....100% it is. There is a final there to be won. For many it'll be the biggest game they may ever play in. Soak up the pressure and respond to it by beating Meath. Any of this "pressure is off" talk sets teams up for failure. Face up to it, man up and go out and win it....they are more than capable.

The platform for todays win was the exceptional performance of Plunkett and Furlong at midfield. I haven't witnessed fielding like it in many a year and it's proof you don't need to short kickouts all the time if well placed kicks are landed up top a chap who can catch the ball. The fundamentals of the game will always win out over the bullshit.
Apart from them 2 boys Cathal Ryan was super with Cormac and Alex Egan showing outrageous turn of pace whilst maintaining control of the ball.
Keith O'Neill will be one to watch as he progresses over the next 2 or 3 years.
Yep that was good today very good indeed. Lets have more tomorrow with the hurlers please.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'd rephrase that. It's great to have chaps who are able to win the ball in the air. Then you can aim well placed kicks at them. If you were winning, say, 30% of your own restarts then you'd have to find an alternative means of retaining possession.
bracknaghboy wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:43 amThe platform for todays win was the exceptional performance of Plunkett and Furlong at midfield. I haven't witnessed fielding like it in many a year and it's proof you don't need to short kickouts all the time if well placed kicks are landed up top a chap who can catch the ball. The fundamentals of the game will always win out over the bullshit.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Does anyone know if the minor football and hurling finals are affected by the latest in the series of lockdowns?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

first_touch wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:29 am Does anyone know if the minor football and hurling finals are affected by the latest in the series of lockdowns?
I think the finals will be cancelled because of the lockdown. It’s a pity after after so much progress at minor level. We will definitely know in the next few days. I hope 2021 is better than this cursed year.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Its going to be tough. They may finish the leinster, but not the all ireland series. Laois 2020 club final is on in July 2021.