Club Managements

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Club Managements

Post by jimbob17 »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:46 pm He obviously really got a taste for volunteerism while making the journey from Clare to Wexford for training.

I wouldn’t agree with the previous poster’s assessment of his hurling ability but that’s neither here nor there.

On the coaching front, he was a staunchly loyal lieutenant of Davy Fitzgerald (once heard that on the way home from a league match that the Clare bus stopped at a shop. Tony Kelly went in on and bought sweets and chocolate and Bugler rang Davy about it as Davy wasn’t on the bus!) so I’d consider thats the main reason he was brought to Wexford to be quite honest.

On a factual point actually, St Flannans haven’t won an All Ireland colleges in 16 years, havent competed in one in 15 years and have only won one Harty Cup in 15 years. So how successful has his coaching career really been in Flannans as the previous poster alluded to?

A lot of that post smacks of hyperbolic fan boy BS to me.
Firstly, don't know the man from Adam. However, Flannans won the Harty Cup last year for first time in years and to my knowledge, Bugler played a huge role by all accounts. As far as I am aware, he was teaching in Kilkenny up to 2 or 3 years ago and from what I have heard, made huge impact in Flannans when he went in there and won a Harty Cup straight away.

You can be assured that Davy Fitzgerald would have his homework done on any coach he would bring with him and this was why he was brought to Wexford. He brought Paul Kinnerk into Clare seniors and gave him his opportunity. He now has replaced Bugler with Niall Corcoran who was Eddie Brennan's coach with Laois so he must have some credentials.

As a hurler, he was thought highly enough to get an All-Star in 2012 when Clare were beaten in 1st round of champ and then beaten in qualifiers (acc to Wikipedia) so he can't have been too bad. He was the pick of their backs for years and won 2 All-Stars off an average enough team (albeit winning All-Ireland in 2013) so maybe he deserves a little more credit than you afford him, especially as he is coming from a very weak senior club and often inter club.

To be honest, I first came across him when I saw him winning a Fitzgibbon with UL and he really stood out for me in a team of outstanding players. Far from fan boy BS Frank, but sure if it makes you feel better about yourself to have a cut off a lad, fair play......maybe lockdown is having an impact on the oul mood and hopefully 2021 will cheer you up a little......

As for the volunteerism element, point accepted, but I guess that is the way things are going and he is hardly the first. Was the Galway man coming down to Birr for good of his health either a few years ago? Is Ken Hogan taking Rynaghs as a volunteer? Ditto Francis Forde. Was Martin Fogarty driving to Kilcormac for good of his health? The list is endless if you want to go down that route! If a club is willing to seek a lad out from a good distance away, then he is entitled to be reimbursed with expenses. Fairly sure it was Birr that approached him and not other way around in fairness, or maybe that is me just being a hyperbolic fan boy........
jimbob

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Nearly all club managers are paid now so I am not sure where Bracknaghboy is coming from. In relation to his success its hard have much when you are only starting out.
He did win a harty cup this year and I belive that was his first year over a them so thats a start consiering they hadnt won one in 15 years.

I wish him all the best an excellent appointment.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:40 pm
frankthetank wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:29 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Yeah thats him..from Scariff....a good hurler he was too...
He certainly isn’t from Scariff. He’s from Whitegate.
My apologies..I didnt realise there was 13 Km between the 2...I was thinking like saying someone from Cloghan is from St. Rynaghs...but I do think that Whitegate have their own club etc...

Correct, Bugler is from Whitegate and was one of the main players with Clare for 10 years or so until he retired. A steely centre or wing back who won it all including 2 all stars and one in a year when Clare were not successful. If he was from Tipp or Kilkenny and had more success during this time, he would probably be considered one of the all time greats.

He is young and new enough to coaching at adult level but would have been heavily involved at schools level in St Flannans where he has developed a strong reputation and hence the reason that Fitzgerald brought him to Wexford.

He will need a lot of good inside people around him if Birr are to win but there is no doubt but that he has the players capable of winning a championship if they apply themselves. It was a shame they threw it away last year to St Rynaghs and Whelehan has done a very good job in reasonably short space of time with them.

On another note, I think Trevor Fletcher has done a fantastic job with Belmont. They really were on the edge of winning a championship and should have at least played in one final in last 3 or 4 years. Is it true he has moved on to another club?

Any other new appointments Shinrone Coolderry Clareen, Ballinamere?

Baker seems like a good appointment for Belmont.

On football front, have Ferbane same management as previous or are there changes?

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

did durrow get a lad from doon as player or as a manager???

Keith Begley Shamrocks Manger according to their facebook page. Big ask for them with nigel dunne out injured and johnny o toole greene and scott delaney not available again in 2021. could be in bother.

Birr have made a great apt in Bulger,

belmont showing their ambition with baker, might get an extra few percent ou of them.

who is over shinrone?

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Trevor Fletcher is over Shinrone

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

chimbonda wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:10 pm Trevor Fletcher is over Shinrone
an interesting one again, I thought Shinrone were even a little ahead of Belmont at one stage over the last year or two, but they had a bad QF defeat to Birr where all the old failings showed again, be it they shot something like 17/18 wides so that would say they had the hurling and chances but didnt take them, doesnt make them a failure on one year alone...that said, I think Fletcher has basically taken over a similar level of team in Shinrone, and it is an interesting appointment...while not a Shinrone man I would love to see a team like them win a county final at senior A level...it would be good for hurling to have a new team in the mix..

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm
an interesting one again, I thought Shinrone were even a little ahead of Belmont at one stage over the last year or two, but they had a bad QF defeat to Birr where all the old failings showed again, be it they shot something like 17/18 wides so that would say they had the hurling and chances but didnt take them, doesnt make them a failure on one year alone...that said, I think Fletcher has basically taken over a similar level of team in Shinrone, and it is an interesting appointment...while not a Shinrone man I would love to see a team like them win a county final at senior A level...it would be good for hurling to have a new team in the mix..
It will be a long time before Shinrone are competing to win a senior championship. Have gone backwards in recent years and a let of their key players have a lot of miles in the legs.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

chimbonda wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:50 pm
It will be a long time before Shinrone are competing to win a senior championship. Have gone backwards in recent years and a let of their key players have a lot of miles in the legs.
Agree with Point 1. Disagree with point 2 and 3.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tmacmahon wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:52 am Keith Begley Shamrocks Manger according to their facebook page. B
Delighted Keith is volunteering his spare time to help out Shamrocks.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:20 pm
chimbonda wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:50 pm
Agree with Point 1. Disagree with point 2 and 3.
thanks for the reply, just from my own perspective what I hear: point 2: Belmont and Shinrone are mentioned by most commentators print/raidio etc. as more or less on a par at the start of any of the last few seasons,, if point 3 is not liking to see them win a final as it would be good for hurling, that is my own oppinion and might be that of a few more Ide say in fairness, time would tell if was good or not for hurling,

with Kinnity gone down and Coolderry in some decline by the appearance of it, Sier Kieran are holding their own (so far) after getting back to Senior A, I think another team in the "Bir direction" would be no harm and keep things competitive up around that area...Interestng, some years ago I said to a hurling man that it would be nice to see a team like Shinrone win a county final and he said "Ide hate to see them ffrs win anything"...I asked why and he went into a tirade about an underage match many years ago and what have you, and I said, "and that is why you dont want them to win a county final??" and he just changed the subject..not saying thats why anyone here doesnt like them to win one, but Ide say most neutrals wouldnt begrudge them or a newer team a win on county final day...interesting year ahead, if it gets off the ground with the way things are going here with Covid and slow vacination process so far..only in Ireland:)

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

What I meant when I agreed in my previous post was that

1. I agree with the assertion that Shinrone are a long way off competing for a county championship

2. I disagree that they have gone backwards - They have clearly stayed the same over the last number of years. Consistent quarter finalists and nothing more

3. I disagree that key players have miles in their legs - What hurling have they done to have miles in their legs? And some of their better lads are still young. Clearys, Samspons etc.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm What I meant when I agreed in my previous post was that

1. I agree with the assertion that Shinrone are a long way off competing for a county championship

2. I disagree that they have gone backwards - They have clearly stayed the same over the last number of years. Consistent quarter finalists and nothing more

3. I disagree that key players have miles in their legs - What hurling have they done to have miles in their legs? And some of their better lads are still young. Clearys, Samspons etc.
Hurling is becoming a younger game each year with retirement ages coming earlier. 2 of Shinrones full back line are well into their 30s. The clearys i believe will shortly be 30 and Sampson (jason) and a number more of the team are >28. Apart from Killian Sampson i dont think they have added any new players over the last few years and have been performing poorly at minor/under 20 so unlikely to have new blood coming through.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

On the volunteerism front and by no means are they duty bound, but it's interesting that there is very little football coaching in Tullamore college where both Keith Begley and Richie Dalton are both teachers. Yet both are appointed to Shamrocks and Raheen respectively.

Bracknaghboys point is a crucial one, that clubs are spending a fortune on coaches and S&C, (his own clubs set up won't come cheap this year) but secondary schools in particular need more support, and little funding there might be more beneficial.

We can talk all we like about progression, but the secondary schools are crucial to developing talent and not enough is being done there, not just Co board issue but clubs really need to get involved.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Michael Doolin is another good Gaa coach in Tull college.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sur lookit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:26 pm On the volunteerism front and by no means are they duty bound, but it's interesting that there is very little football coaching in Tullamore college where both Keith Begley and Richie Dalton are both teachers. Yet both are appointed to Shamrocks and Raheen respectively.

Bracknaghboys point is a crucial one, that clubs are spending a fortune on coaches and S&C, (his own clubs set up won't come cheap this year) but secondary schools in particular need more support, and little funding there might be more beneficial.

We can talk all we like about progression, but the secondary schools are crucial to developing talent and not enough is being done there, not just Co board issue but clubs really need to get involved.
Ya that’s something that really grinds my gears. I know of intercounty hurlers (but Offaly and outside the county) who have recently taught in secondary schools in Edenderry and never raised a finger to do a bit of hurling coaching in the schools.