Club Managements

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Club Managements

Post by SearingDrive »

Declan Cryan is Ferbane SF manager for 2021. Declan is from Portarlington, and played football for Laois.
He is a teacher in Rathangan, and previously managed Maynooth to the Kildare and Leinster Intermediate Football titles in 2009. Report in this week’s Tullamore Tribune.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

a bit of a shot in the dark manager here for Ferbane, alot of past managment history with this man, Kildare Voccational Schools and underage some years back, maybe now he is going into it a bit more...interesting appointment, unproven, but as others say, one has to start somewhere and I wish him luck.

wonka
Junior C

Post by wonka »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:34 pm a bit of a shot in the dark manager here for Ferbane, alot of past managment history with this man, Kildare Voccational Schools and underage some years back, maybe now he is going into it a bit more...interesting appointment, unproven, but as others say, one has to start somewhere and I wish him luck.
Was he any good ? Asking for a friend

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

looks a strange move to me. getting a guy who worked underage a good few years ago.schools underage to a "top" club is a huge jump. was there no one more suitable ?.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

biffinbanner wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:38 pm looks a strange move to me. getting a guy who worked underage a good few years ago.schools underage to a "top" club is a huge jump. was there no one more suitable ?.
Ferbane must have done their research before, appointing Declan Cryan as SF manager.

Offalyman21
Junior C

Post by Offalyman21 »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 am From football perspective, I believe Shane Curran has left Durrow and gone to Caulry in Westmeath. It is a little bit of a bazaar one given Durrow walked the senior B this year and are more than capable of having a good run in Senior A next year. The contrast is that Caulry are a team just hanging on to senior in Westmeath and were lucky to avoid relegation this year. Given circumstances around how he left, it will be interesting to see how both teams get on next year. I believe that he is taking his coach (who comes highly regarded) with him.
Players in Durrow wanted him gone he lost the dressing room after the semi final I heard, never showed up for county final stating it was for covid reasons, when in reality everyone knew it was because a couple of players were injured and he thought they wouldn’t win. They dodged a bullet with that lad

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Jimmy Barrett was in charge of Edenderry last year but has not returned, rumour has it Peter Brady to return but disagreement on committee over same. Decision to be made tonight, could be a Rhode man either time will tell

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Didn't think bringing in a manager from Rhode would sit too well in Edenderry?

And even more so when one of their own is going for the job?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

any update on the Edenderry job, there was nothing in Midland Tribune that I seen over the last few weeks since the 21st January proposed meeting...perhaps it was mentioned but if it was I missed it..

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

kingscounty wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 pm Jimmy Barrett was in charge of Edenderry last year but has not returned, rumour has it Peter Brady to return but disagreement on committee over same. Decision to be made tonight, could be a Rhode man either time will tell
P Brady was never in for this job. 100% not true.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

offalyman08 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:25 am
kingscounty wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 pm Jimmy Barrett was in charge of Edenderry last year but has not returned, rumour has it Peter Brady to return but disagreement on committee over same. Decision to be made tonight, could be a Rhode man either time will tell
P Brady was never in for this job. 100% not true.
Very good that puts that rumour to bed so, who got the job ?

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

edenderry were very close last year to reaching a county final, be intresting to see who they go with if indeed the mananger of last year is no longer in charge

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

They have the aw material alright, Brady would be nuts to go back in and might not be the right move for the club either.
Fresh blood needed but patience needed also.

Tullamore have the potential over next few years, serious talent coming through and Ken Furlong cutting his teeth well at minor level as a potential manager in due course for them.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Tullamore and edenderry in truth should be far more dominant than they are, huge poulation advantage over other clubs and yes i know they have more sports to choose from but even allowing that, its crazy to think of the pooll of players say tullamore can choose from with only one gaa club in our capital town and then a very small but brilliant club like cappincur can beat them. once offs happen i know

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Tmacmahon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 am Tullamore and edenderry in truth should be far more dominant than they are, huge poulation advantage over other clubs and yes i know they have more sports to choose from but even allowing that, its crazy to think of the pooll of players say tullamore can choose from with only one gaa club in our capital town and then a very small but brilliant club like cappincur can beat them. once offs happen i know
I agree. Huge urban population bases that have greatly underachieved. 6 titles between them from the last 20 since the turn of the millennium.