The offaly way.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

The offaly way.

Post by private joker »

frankthetank
All Star

Re: The offaly way.

Post by frankthetank »

I thought you were referring to the 29km walkway across the Slieve Blooms for a moment.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

While I look forward to seeing how the process will play out, I can’t help thinking the flat earthers will be sharpening their pencils and writing their letters. Their wish lists will include:

A return to old fashioned ‘catch and kick’ football and an end to handpassing;

A return to ‘ground hurling’, that oul Limerick stuff is ruining hurling;

An end to coaching. That only encourages tactics and similar hyfalutin’ nonsense; Kilkenny (hurling) and Kerry (football) don’t do tactics;

An end to S&C programmes – it only results in lads getting injured;

Training should consist of playing matches, there should be no drills - they are what's ruining hurling / football;

Only former Offaly All-Ireland winners should be appointed to manage the Offaly county teams;

Don’t be giving gear to county players – who do they think they are, prancing around town in branded polos, half zips, shorts and flip flops and the like?

Football clubs shouldn’t have any say in how hurling is run in the county; Separate hurling and football boards should be introduced;

Short puckouts / kickouts should be banned;

Offaly Senior hurlers should be immediately restored to the Leinster championship. The Christy Ring is for football counties;

Get rid of the black card in football, it’s taking the physicality out of the game;

There’s nothing wrong with the rules of hurling but referees should use common sense. And ‘allow for the conditions’ on a wet day.

Don’t be picking lads from the football end of the county on Offaly hurling teams. Except Shane Dooley and Brian Duignan – they have the pedigree.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 pm While I look forward to seeing how the process will play out, I can’t help thinking the flat earthers will be sharpening their pencils and writing their letters. Their wish lists will include:

A return to old fashioned ‘catch and kick’ football and an end to handpassing;

A return to ‘ground hurling’, that oul Limerick stuff is ruining hurling;

An end to coaching. That only encourages tactics and similar hyfalutin’ nonsense; Kilkenny (hurling) and Kerry (football) don’t do tactics;

An end to S&C programmes – it only results in lads getting injured;

Training should consist of playing matches, there should be no drills - they are what's ruining hurling / football;

Only former Offaly All-Ireland winners should be appointed to manage the Offaly county teams;

Don’t be giving gear to county players – who do they think they are, prancing around town in branded polos, half zips, shorts and flip flops and the like?

Football clubs shouldn’t have any say in how hurling is run in the county; Separate hurling and football boards should be introduced;

Short puckouts / kickouts should be banned;

Offaly Senior hurlers should be immediately restored to the Leinster championship. The Christy Ring is for football counties;

Get rid of the black card in football, it’s taking the physicality out of the game;

There’s nothing wrong with the rules of hurling but referees should use common sense. And ‘allow for the conditions’ on a wet day.

Don’t be picking lads from the football end of the county on Offaly hurling teams. Except Shane Dooley and Brian Duignan – they have the pedigree.
It’s worrying that I too had this thought initially. Good to see the process starting but worry that the prevailing attitude in Offaly is very much that the ways that served us well 30 years ago should be the methods that we return to

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

While I too look forward to seeing how the process will play out, I can’t help thinking the modern game know all's will be sharpening their pencils and writing their letters. Their wish lists will include:

Handpassing only. Any kicking or striking (depending on code) will result in serious punishment yet to be determined.

Posters of the current Limerick hurling team to adorn all GAA facilities in the county, no exceptions.

All players from U6 upwards to be given a large tactics board to carry with them at all times.

No ballwork until children turn 18. Gruelling weights program to begin from 4 years of age. Earlier with parental consent.

Training should consist of analysis of previous matches only.

Only big names from outside the county should be brought in, the bigger the price tag the better. The holy grail being one that bankrupts the county.

Senior intercounty teams must have a backroom staff consisting of a minimum of 30 gurus.

GPS trackers to be worn 24/7 by intercounty players.

Ban all kicks and pucks greater than 15 meters. Life time ban for any goalkeeper "going long".

Only 9 teams shall contest the Liam MacCarthy from now til the end of time.

More gurus.

Invest millions in "sports science".

Any club that appoints a coach or has some sort of plan or other on paper shall receive the title "progressive".

Value of the point in hurling to increase depending on how muscley the striker of the ball is. 2 for average, 3 for big muscle man.

Tighter jerseys for the intercounty teams, particularly the Limerick boys....wit-wooooooooo

2 nights of training a week to consist of stats. What stats? Any stats it doesn't matter just stats.

More gurus.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I think somewhere between bracknagh boy and plain of the herbs approach could be the way to go!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The phrase 'irreconcilable differences' springs to mind.
pigeon house biffo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 pm I think somewhere between bracknagh boy and plain of the herbs approach could be the way to go!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

One thing is for sure, there'll be no shortage of suggestions when they go around the county canvassing opinions.

If Offaly were a brand, we'd be Nokia. We were going great guns years ago until the advent of the Smartphone.

Some lads will suggest that we must now try to match or get ahead of the more recent innovators.
Other lads will say that the answers lie in the winning formulas of the past, that the tables will turn if we come up with a newer version of the Snakes game.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:34 pm I thought you were referring to the 29km walkway across the Slieve Blooms for a moment.
It passes through Lough Boora as well Frank.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Was there not a huge level of work done on this a number of years ago in both hurling and football. I remember a large group involved in hurling from which that famous document was sat on shelf for over a year. From football context, Paul O'Kelly was involved at a point with a group that gathered a lot of info. Why are we going back to start on this starting from scratch? A body of good work was done. Why can't this be continued?
jimbob

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Was this not done recently as posted above?

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

And this kicks off this evening for the footcall with option of joining 2 sessions in January for those not available.

So I presume the warriors here are all signed up and ready to input suggestions and get involved?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Ah, it was 'the other crowd' who drafted that document, so it doesn't count.
jimbob17 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 pm Was there not a huge level of work done on this a number of years ago in both hurling and football. I remember a large group involved in hurling from which that famous document was sat on shelf for over a year. From football context, Paul O'Kelly was involved at a point with a group that gathered a lot of info. Why are we going back to start on this starting from scratch? A body of good work was done. Why can't this be continued?

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

I am presuming that Kevin Egan and Pat Donegan attended the online forum last week and have inputted into the new strategic plan for Offaly??

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Not necessarily , but they might have signed up for the January sessions.
I did if its any help to you?