Amalgamations

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Amalgamations

Post by mynamesjeff »

I’ve heard about 2 potential amalgamations in Offaly in the past week.

Kilclonfert and Daingean.
Carrig and Riverstown and Crinkill.

private joker
All Star

Re: Amalgamations

Post by private joker »

Carrig and riverstown with crinkle should have been done years ago.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

The Daingean / Kilclonfert one is feasible.
Kilclonfert will struggle to field 15 in the next few years, just don't have the numbers. Daingean will benefit from the likes of Cathal Managan and a couple of young border players who might have opted for the black&Gold. There are a some players on Kilclonfert team who either live in Daingean or are from that area, so not such a stretch. Possible.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I've seen Crinkill hurl over the last couple of years and they have been quite poor. As were Carrig and Riverstown this year.

However with an amalgamation they could be decent enough in a few years as they have had reasonable underage success over the last number of years. Should hold their own Senior B and have a very good Junior A team.

Question - With an amalgamation what level would their teams have to enter next year's adult championships at?

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I would imagine CRC would go in at Senior B, to replace CR. Just my opinion, but the amalgamation should always replace the highest ranking club in the amalgamation. The 'Daingean' team should be Intermediate. Great base for them to make a run at climbing the ladder.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

If they are being listed up here then they won't happen! Especially the football one.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

Geansai Gorm wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:08 pm The Daingean / Kilclonfert one is feasible.
Kilclonfert will struggle to field 15 in the next few years, just don't have the numbers. Daingean will benefit from the likes of Cathal Managan and a couple of young border players who might have opted for the black&Gold. There are a some players on Kilclonfert team who either live in Daingean or are from that area, so not such a stretch. Possible.
Would they not amalgamate with Ballycommon before Daingean?
Considering it was done in the past and they’re served by the one school.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

mynamesjeff wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm Would they not amalgamate with Ballycommon before Daingean?
Considering it was done in the past and they’re served by the one school.
Parish rivalries are a strange thing. Ballycommon are more likely to join Cappincur than either of the other 2 in the parish. Ballycommon & Kilclonfert merger is one I definitely can't see happening, out of any potential combinations. All the younger players came up playing together on St.Vincents so there should be limited animosity to playing together at senior level, you would think. Not the case, by the time they are playing U17 you can see the club divide kicking in at times. Blood runs deep, so they say.

As for the original post, I really doubt there will be a merger. Yes KIlclonfert are strugling for numbers and will do for a while, but they are fiercly proud of their club, so I just can't see it.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

Any more word on these?