Adrian Cahill RIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
oneshot
County player

Adrian Cahill RIP

Post by oneshot »

Sad news about the late Adrian Cahill my sympathies to the Cahill family. besides Brian whelahan he was one of the best underage hurler come out of offaly. his display again kilkenny in they 1989 minor leinster replay in portlaoise was as good as any. also his point in the 1995 club final replay again dunloy was as good as point scored in croker. rip mongo

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Adrian Cahill RIP

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A great hurler gone too soon. RIP.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

An Offaly star shines in heaven, as on earth. May he rest in peace.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Adrian was the biggest loss to Offaly hurling out of that minor squad, yes, he did play senior briefly until the leg break before the AI club semi final in 1991/2, but while Brian Whelehan was the best to come out of that group, and he was exceptionally good, Adrian Cahill was the best NOT to feature long term for Offaly out of that group, and there were some excellent stars in that minor era. I am known to meniton Adrian Cahill in the same spheres of DJ Carey, Adrian Ronan, & Charlie Carter and Corks Brian Cunningham was a minor of that time too. Before his passing, people would ask me how good he was, and I had no hesitation saying he was as talented and good as any of the above I will go as far as to say had things worked out for Adrian and he reached his potential at county level, Offaly would have won another All Ireland or two, he was that good. RIP Adrian, Offaly GAA can speak your name as one of its best ever underage hurlers, and you will be meintined when people talk of Brian Whelehan and Birr and Offaly, thats how good you were, you will never be forgotten by anyone whom was lucky enough to see you hurl in your prime. Condolences to his family.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Sad loss and condolences to his family and friends.
He was as people have said such a gifted underage hurler and unfortunately never progressed into Senior squad for any length of time.
He gave a great display at wingback on the senior team v Galway in 1990 was it? where he was exceptional for us. The leg break set him back and he struggled thereafter. But he was part of some fantastic wins for Offaly during that era. May he rest in piece.

Would there be any way that some of them Leinster and All Irelands at minor and U21 were videoed and could be gotten up online. There would be some viewing over the next few months if that could be done?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I seen the U21 1992 on some channel there a good few months back...what a game...great idea, I am not an IT or video expert, I would love to be..I have great memories of scores and saves and incidents that defined Offaly GAA over the last 40 years (when I was a young boy), and no one can direct me to an app or system that I can access to pull these clips together onto one little video, add a few songs from the time of the games...and I know GAA people would love tot see them..The Midland Tribune, people give out about it being "no use" and "who reads that" etc. but the coverage on Adrian Cahill this week was top class, some excellent articles and review of his career, sad some of it, Paddy Kirwan summed it up, Adrian did what he did, "if we were all the same life would be very boring"...The skill of Brian Whelehan but a brash streak to got with it, was also an excellent description...Well done MT this week...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

I agree, great pieces put together in the TRibune

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

i think paddy kirwins piece in the MT said it all wouldnt it be a boring world if everyone was the same.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

and that is the truth, hadnt been talking to him in many years, but when he would be out having his few pints, Adrian was a great chat, do you know, if he wasnt like that, I wouldnt be able to say that about him, I knew him through his working around Birr, he never wanted any airs and graces, he was humble in his surrounds despite his ability, even when Birr were zooming home with county finals and leinsters and All Irelands, Adrian mixed with everyone , no cliques or anything like that...and that, along with his testified hurling prodigy, made Adrian different, and all in a good way...he will never be forgotten, and his passing has made sure he will be talked about in the same way as Pat Carroll, Boo Rosney(died in the arms of Pat Carroll at county training in March 1983 - exceptional up and coming talent apparently - I was only 12 back then) to mention two, whom graced hurling in our county...they will always be remembered when we talk of our hurling past...RIP to those legends!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

For the day thats in it and our great prodigy laid to rest today in Birr, its only fitting that the post should be top of the roll today. RIP Adrian, and thanks for the memories you gave us.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

sad day for the cahill family and Birr and offaly hurling . his skill on the field will never be forgotten was glad to see him hurl in his prime. RIP mongo