Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by greenairfield »

Who is missing from Offaly through injury?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

yeah a strange time of 5.30 on a Sunday, the only good thing to come out of Covid, if one could say such, is that all games are streamed and it is good value for money and I for one have seen way more club games this year etc..and apparently we have a Cathedral in Tullamore going by the commentator of the Offaly/Carlow game last Sunday in Gaago or whatever ou call it..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

just signed up to watch Offaly and Derry in the Christy RIng on Pairc TV..interesting to see if it is as good if better than Gaago...

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Shane Horan is out for tomorrow Cian donoghue too , Jordan Hayes 50/50 if we will play. This is our team to start
Paddy dunican
Niall Darby Eoin Rigney Declan hogan
Eoin carroll Johnny moloney colm doyle
Cathal mangan Jordan Hayes
Anton Sullivan ruairi mcnamee peter Cunningham
Bernard Allen Niall mcnamee Cian Farrell

Kildare forward line looks good on paper. Daniel Flynn can be one of the best in the country when he shows up suspect Eoin rigney will pick him up. Paddy brophy was in the afl for a while he has the body of a pro athlete big man and able to move. Jimmy hyland has been an underage Star for them able to kick scores off both feet. And Darragh Kirwan another good young player who could cause problems.

I suspect we will have massive trouble in the air on kick outs. Kevin feely and Aaron masterson are both 6’4 with a big leap. Put Paddy brophy out with them and suddenly you’ve got three giants our most natural fielder of the ball will be at wing back. I hope we try go short on our kickouts because if we go long we are playing into their hands.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Interesting to note that Kildare’s go to man Daniel Flynn of Johnstownbridge has great Offaly breeding.

His mother is from Kinnitty and his grandfather won a senior county championship in 1967. Also, his uncle Eoin was full forward on the last Offaly team to win a Leinster U21 championship in 2000.

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kilare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 pm Does anyone have the Offaly team for Sunday? I don't do tweets, and I am not on Facebook, so I am against the thread, but I don't care. Wish the GAA would think of us folk, when they announce teams.
Edgy!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 am Interesting to note that Kildare’s go to man Daniel Flynn of Johnstownbridge has great Offaly breeding.

His mother is from Kinnitty and his grandfather won a senior county championship in 1967. Also, his uncle Eoin was full forward on the last Offaly team to win a Leinster U21 championship in 2000.
If ever there was county that would be a permanent fixture in Division 4 were it not for imported talent!

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kilare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:48 am
SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 pm Does anyone have the Offaly team for Sunday? I don't do tweets, and I am not on Facebook, so I am against the thread, but I don't care. Wish the GAA would think of us folk, when they announce teams.
Edgy!!
Reality. My support goes back a long time, don't need silly comments.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tullman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:38 am Shane Horan is out for tomorrow Cian donoghue too , Jordan Hayes 50/50 if we will play. This is our team to start
Paddy dunican
Niall Darby Eoin Rigney Declan hogan
Eoin carroll Johnny moloney colm doyle
Cathal mangan Jordan Hayes
Anton Sullivan ruairi mcnamee peter Cunningham
Bernard Allen Niall mcnamee Cian Farrell

Kildare forward line looks good on paper. Daniel Flynn can be one of the best in the country when he shows up suspect Eoin rigney will pick him up. Paddy brophy was in the afl for a while he has the body of a pro athlete big man and able to move. Jimmy hyland has been an underage Star for them able to kick scores off both feet. And Darragh Kirwan another good young player who could cause problems.

I suspect we will have massive trouble in the air on kick outs. Kevin feely and Aaron masterson are both 6’4 with a big leap. Put Paddy brophy out with them and suddenly you’ve got three giants our most natural fielder of the ball will be at wing back. I hope we try go short on our kickouts because if we go long we are playing into their hands.
All we can do is our best. Management select the team, as they are supposed to do. Let's all hope Offaly have one of those days, when they kick the form book off the park.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Size looks to be a potential issue which is all the more reason to spread out and run at them.
Kildare haven't set the world alight in the league during the year and if this was in summer I'd be a lot more worried.

The fact that it's in Portlaoise probably sealed Offalys faith. I'm going to do some digging at some point into this....surely no county can have a worse record in a ground than Offaly teams at all levels in that God damn Portlaoise?
Anyways strange things happen in sport, teams can have a man sent off, unexpected goals go in so its not a foregone conclusion, plus Offaly have the best forward on the pitch in Niall McNamee so we are not without hope.

Also normally Kldare outnumber Offaly supporters 4 to 1 at these championship games so the absence of supporters might have a positive impact for Offaly.
Maybe I'm clutching at straws?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Kildare 0-10 Offaly 0-09 at HT

Really decent showing from Offaly. But it does look like that Kildare can get their scores far easier.

Example 1 - Kildare's first score came 15 seconds after throw in.

Example 2 - Kildare's last point of half took 30 seconds from kickout to ball going over the bar.

Having said that our backs are playing very well considering they are under a lot of pressure.

Cian Farrell is so talented and has had a very good first half and was so unlucky for a goal.

Whether Offaly can maintain the workrate and intensity remains to be seen. Looks like Kildare will win by 5 or 6.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Great showing by most of the team so far, but I'm not going to single out any names yet. Kildare heads could drop when they see their own wastage. Keep it up lads. We CAN win this.
Mawn Offaly.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly just fell short in the end. Denied 3 goal chances tonight, maybe on another night they would go in. Fair play to everyone, players and management, and thanks from a disappointed Offaly man. When we go for it, we can put it up to any team.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Aaaaaaah Fekit anyway. Missed chance there.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Offaly lose by 4. Very honest performance. Unfortunately we were in serious bother in midfield at kick-out time.

Also felt the referee was very hard on us in second half. Colm Doyle should have got a free in when taken out of with a frontal challenge by the Kildare keeper and I think it was Doyle again that was penalised for a free right on the sideline that Kildare scored with a couple of minutes to go. No way was that a free. 2 point swing in those decisions alone and real momentum changers.

On the balance of play Kildare marginally deserved the victory. I'd say their wides count isn't a pretty stat.