Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by Fairplayalways »

just said I would pull this topic away from my earlier form of NFL Div 3, as such we have moved on from that...anyway, does anyone think we can pull off a shock on Sunday evening IF we put our best foot forwad team wise...hard to see it but you never know...Kildare havent been raising too many headlines either over the last while, so we will surely go at them...

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kilare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:11 pm just said I would pull this topic away from my earlier form of NFL Div 3, as such we have moved on from that...anyway, does anyone think we can pull off a shock on Sunday evening IF we put our best foot forwad team wise...hard to see it but you never know...Kildare havent been raising too many headlines either over the last while, so we will surely go at them...
It is unlikely FairPlay, Offaly have injury concerns over Jordan Hayes, and Shane Horan. If Offaly have their best team and really go for it, they have a real chance. Like Meath in Navan last year, when the game was there for Offaly.
Offaly have to adopt a bold approach, as they will be underdogs next Sunday.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

totally agree...better loose trying to win than being over cautious...

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Offaly should not fear the Lillies, play like we did for most of the match v Meath last year and we have a great chance, no silly decision making and take our scores, we have avery good full forward line so get the ball in quickly, use the mark also.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

We never fear kildare, however never beat them in recent years.

Injuries mounting up too so we live in hope.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its over a year ago since we played so well against Meath, and to be honest, very hard to say "play like that" so long after that game, if it was a week or a month maybe, but with the time span and change of panel etc. its really doesnt stand to say that now, not to say, I think what the poster means is to "go for it" get the ball in early etc...great if we give it a go, anything could happen, our luck might be in for once in many many years IF we give it a go..

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

So we have a few injuries but then so do Kildare with 2 important defenders, Doyle & O'Grady out & the recent retirement of Peter Kelly.

So if we can get enough good ball to the forwards the novice Kildare defenders could be in trouble.

Then Kildare have Dan Flynn back and McCormack who missed last year and 2 new good forwards in Kirwan & Hyland.

So Offaly defenders will have to be on their toes and it could boil down to midfield and I fear that we could be in trouble there without Hayes & Horan as Kildare have big men in Feeley, Masterson and Conway.

Now since I have lived in Kildare for almost 50 years I am more aware of the Kildare players than the newer lads on the Offaly team.

Lads like Eoin Carroll, Mangan & Hayes if he can play could match Kildare around the middle and then we are down to spirit, grit and determination where we have never been short and Kildare have been ......... Only one other issue :: Can Anton concentrate on playing his own best game and do not get on the wrong side of the ref...... He can be our matchwinner..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Interesting you say about Anton, I always wondered that when reading match reports etc and listening to matches, there do be "grey" incidents with him and you wonder what he does be at, the midland tribune has a picture of him and a Carlow player collaring one another AFTER the final whistle last Sunday...ok, maybe the Carlow player did say or do something, but the match is over, we won/ dont risk getting sent off silly after the whistle goes or even get injured or something....a fine play maker and able to take his scores..concentrate on the game me thinks..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Does anyone have the Offaly team for Sunday? I don't do tweets, and I am not on Facebook, so I am against the thread, but I don't care. Wish the GAA would think of us folk, when they announce teams.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I've no doubt that Offaly will give it a go here and aim to attack.
Who knows the state of any county panel at the stage, given the year we've had.

Against Carlow Offaly did concede more than scores than we'd like, however teams holding onto a lead can have a tendency to retreat and concede the initiative instead of killing the game off. At least we didn't end up like Monaghan did!

Kildare have been operating against a higher standard of opposition and that will stand to them. There is a slight glimmer of hope in that they have only scored one goal in their last 6 league games. If they don't hit the net this weekend it could leave the door ajar for Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 pm Does anyone have the Offaly team for Sunday? I don't do tweets, and I am not on Facebook, so I am against the thread, but I don't care. Wish the GAA would think of us folk, when they announce teams.
https://offaly.gaa.ie/2020/11/06/hurlin ... -announced

Offaly:
Paddy Dunican (Shamrocks);

Declan Hogan (Tullamore), Eoin Rigney (Rhode), Niall Darby (Rhode);

Eoin Carroll (Cappincur), Johnny Moloney (Tullamore), Joseph O’Connor (St Rynagh’s);

Aaron Leavy (Tullamore), Jordan Hayes (Edenderry);

Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh), Ruairi McNamee (Rhode), Anton Sullivan (Rhode);

Bernard Allen (Tubber), Niall McNamee (Rhode), Cian Farrell (Edenderry).

JimBwobb
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by JimBwobb »

I thought the game was tomorrow evening at 5.30.p.m.

Just realised it's on Sunday and it's not a double header as far as I can see - strange time for a game considering the time of the year- its effectively under lights.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:07 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:29 pm Does anyone have the Offaly team for Sunday? I don't do tweets, and I am not on Facebook, so I am against the thread, but I don't care. Wish the GAA would think of us folk, when they announce teams.
https://offaly.gaa.ie/2020/11/06/hurlin ... -announced

Offaly:
Paddy Dunican (Shamrocks);

Declan Hogan (Tullamore), Eoin Rigney (Rhode), Niall Darby (Rhode);

Eoin Carroll (Cappincur), Johnny Moloney (Tullamore), Joseph O’Connor (St Rynagh’s);

Aaron Leavy (Tullamore), Jordan Hayes (Edenderry);

Peter Cunningham (Bracknagh), Ruairi McNamee (Rhode), Anton Sullivan (Rhode);

Bernard Allen (Tubber), Niall McNamee (Rhode), Cian Farrell (Edenderry).
Thanks for that BNM. No Shane Horan. If Offaly adopt a positive approach, they could scatter the Lilies.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

JimBwobb wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 pm I thought the game was tomorrow evening at 5.30.p.m.

Just realised it's on Sunday and it's not a double header as far as I can see - strange time for a game considering the time of the year- its effectively under lights.
A few high profile games on Sunday afternoon. You will have Brian Gavin and John Reynolds to entertain you all evening.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

I dont expect team to start as named and expect one or two changes from team named! Best of luck to all......
jimbob