Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly V Kildare 2nd round of LSFC

Post by Fairplayalways »

100% aggree...we have to go for the league, play Niall McNamee in every game if possible, if he gets a niggle or other, fair enough, but if he is on the panel he has to play, no argument about that...a few lads gone off the panel too in recent times, Brazil from Tullamore and I think one or 2 Edenderry lads and players from up that direction (hurling is my first choice but do follow the football abit but names of lads who have left wouldnt come to mind without going researching etc.)If one selector is keeping 2 or 3 players we need playing for Offaly off the panel, then the county board need to sit down and see what is going on...of course no player should be dictating who manages or how they manage, but if management are deemed to be unfair or unreasonable in resolving issues, we will be saying this time next year "where is such and such etc." Ime 50/50 with Maughan staying, probably 60/40 that he stays, but to be honest, I dont think he will,...We werent that bad I thought last week, yes, we really never looked like winning the game though, when you are behind all game, its very hard to say where the "we could have won that game" comes out of, yes, we missed goals, missed them, not score them, Meath scored their chances today, and are now in Leinster final, I think you might be right, they will go to some other containing plan now next week, and will be trailing by a few points for 60% of the game and at the end of the day, its the scoreboard counts, and Dublin will have more digits on theirs despite all this containing lark....go out and play them, yes you will be hurt at the back if you go forward, but try and score more than them and you might win, trying to restrict them from scoring and forgetting to score yourself is a mugs game....Offaly need to treat Division 3 as a championship next year, play it like every game is knock out, if they do, they wont be far away at the end, but if the continue as they are, we will be having this conversation mid November 2021...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Shane Tierney played with Daingean this year and helped them win Junior. A player who didn't get much of a look in with previous mgt's and one of the stand out performers through U21.
Joe Maher situation needs to taken off line (not going to be sorted out here), we know nothing about what situation is so move on. And management team will be decided on the basis of the whole group not whether they keep everyone happy as that's impossible.
I wouldn't agree with playing Niall Mc in all games, this year is an exception, he is playing championship off the back of finishing his club season with county final win. At his age to hit the ground running in Feb in the league, ah lads, come on.

If Maughan stays then question is will he work with younger players (probably without Joe Maher) and take a chance, and go full on for the league, getting back to work soon. Or if new manager, most likely candidate would be internal, probably not Pascal, possibly U20 manager Declan Kelly...there may be a small broom applied.

Bottom line is with Kildare yesterday and I didn't watch it but listening to it they should have been well ahead at half time and were only 4 points down with 10 mins to go? I think they've had their problems Kildare, but Meath are no great shakes either. Reality is, if we can bring through some of the emerging talent we have we can progress to taking a scalp from one of these 2 in next few years, along with Westmeath and Laois. But will take some serious work from both clubs and county. Its clear that something needs to be done with the championship anyway and that needs to be addressed as Dublin have done what they liked with both Laois and Westmeath, (both not bad sides) and I think they will set down a marker agin Meath also.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

In a word should John stay or go?

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Stay

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sur lookit wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:52 pm Shane Tierney played with Daingean this year and helped them win Junior. A player who didn't get much of a look in with previous mgt's and one of the stand out performers through U21.
Joe Maher situation needs to taken off line (not going to be sorted out here), we know nothing about what situation is so move on. And management team will be decided on the basis of the whole group not whether they keep everyone happy as that's impossible.
I wouldn't agree with playing Niall Mc in all games, this year is an exception, he is playing championship off the back of finishing his club season with county final win. At his age to hit the ground running in Feb in the league, ah lads, come on.

If Maughan stays then question is will he work with younger players (probably without Joe Maher) and take a chance, and go full on for the league, getting back to work soon. Or if new manager, most likely candidate would be internal, probably not Pascal, possibly U20 manager Declan Kelly...there may be a small broom applied.

Bottom line is with Kildare yesterday and I didn't watch it but listening to it they should have been well ahead at half time and were only 4 points down with 10 mins to go? I think they've had their problems Kildare, but Meath are no great shakes either. Reality is, if we can bring through some of the emerging talent we have we can progress to taking a scalp from one of these 2 in next few years, along with Westmeath and Laois. But will take some serious work from both clubs and county. Its clear that something needs to be done with the championship anyway and that needs to be addressed as Dublin have done what they liked with both Laois and Westmeath, (both not bad sides) and I think they will set down a marker agin Meath also.
Well I wouldnt mean McNamee to play all minutes of all games, but at least come on as a sub, and not 15 minutes from end when its too late...if we are loosing, he comes on at half time..we only have the one year left with him, so we might as well play him decent game time at least, next year will come and go, Niall will be used sparingly again, no real impetus or stamina built up, and we will be having this conversation again, and possibly no Niall McNamee for the following year.....if he cant last half a game for 5/6 league games, is it really worth having him on board (I dont mean that in a bad sense)...League Division 3 winners should be our goal, runners up will do, that is our goal next year, if we achieve that, we can look at winning a round or two in the championship/qualifiers, no point sparing Niall for a Leinster championship that we are not going to win...Div 3 it has to be, no half measures...

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Ah lads, what are ye talking about? Who watched Offaly in the league this year and thought Maughan was holding lads back for the Championship? We are probably as bad as we’ve been since the mid 90’s, with no sign of a good m U20 coming through to get us excited like we had back in 1995 which laid the base for an Offaly senior team for the next 10 yrs or so!!
Our aimless brand of football where we just constantly over work the ball and run into blind alleys means that we’re not even cultivating a style of football that we can use in the championship!! We got completely overrun by Kildare whenever they went up a gear we had nothing to go with them & then Kildare took the foot off the gas and would allow us back in the game as they were obviously more focused on the Meath game than beating us out the gate!! Yet Offaly fans swallow another glorious defeat as we ran them close!!
Maughan should go, he’s not a progressive manager with our style of football and he clearly doesn’t like or trust a number of players who we would rate as players who should be involved, Cian Johnson, Joe Maher, Michael Brazil, etc!! I think player commitment is an issue, Our player conditioning is dreadful, this was evident in our hurlers 10 yrs ago as the rot set in and it has quickly spread to our footballers where we look completely out on our feet 15 mins where inevitably we end up losing!!
I appreciate that we’re not winning a Leinster title anytime soon, but let’s not pretend that the current management were trying to do that, because they absolutely weren’t!!
The Untouchable

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Dublins destruction of Meath, should leave Offaly and rest of Leinster in no doubt of where they stand in relation to being competitive in Leinster...Dublin now are doing Kilkenny on it in the hurling, they cannot beat you by enough, going for the third goal on an number of occasions and taking it right at the death and they 20 points up...Cork played Waterford in the 1982 Munster Final, Cork won 5-31 to 3-06, near the end of the game Cork had their 5 goals scored, they got in again, and Tomas Mulcahy rounded the keeper and tapped the ball over the bar...thats sportsmanship, we cant blame Dublin for being so good, they have an exceptional bunch of players, but lordy me, back in the day if you had a hunch you were going out into a hiding like Meath got this evening (and last year) the referees notebook should be full of names from before the throw in and for the last 10 minutes, getting beaten like that and not raising a puff....Meath back in the 80's would have Brian Fenton gone out this evenings game in the first few minutes, a yellow card to show for it or even a red, but the oppositons influential midfielder gone and rattle the be jaysus out of a few more of them, they can handle themselves I know, but no one lays a glove on them, so they can just play football whatever way they want...Donegal will beat Cavan tomorrow, and will at least go out and shake Dublin up a bit more than the tame slumber they come out of Leinster with for the last 10 years...come on and say "you cant do that" etc. but any man worth his salt is not going to lie down and get beat into oblivion, Meath teams in the past would not have buckled with the timidness their current team did this evening....Kildare or Offaly would have suffered a similar or worse fate this evening...you can be sure if it was Offaly, Niall McNamee would have been turned upside down the first ball that would go into his position....

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Dublin are skillful, tough and will lay down to no one. Probably do 20 in a row in leinster. As mad as it is to type that, it will probably happen.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Sadly the gap in Leinster is only going to widen in the foreseeable future as the effect of the financial doping of the last decade takes hold. There are lads on that team last night that I've never heard of with no adverse effect on Dublin, proving this isn't cyclical, it's permanent.
private joker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:17 am Dublin are skillful, tough and will lay down to no one. Probably do 20 in a row in leinster. As mad as it is to type that, it will probably happen.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

An extremely well ran County board would have a lot to do with it also. Money well spent. As Eddie brennans off the record comments suggested about laois county board, more to do with good planning and proper planning and strategy in dublin than your suggestion of doping. Offaly county board until this year has been very poorly ran. Similar down in Cork where it was horrendous.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

private joker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm Offaly county board until this year has been very poorly ran.
Good to hear this. What areas this year have better do you think albeit with all the problems covid presented?
It needs to be monitored year by year so that same mistakes are not made.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

firstly, hats off to Cavan, I thought their nine lives were used up against Monaghan and Down, but to be fair, the raised their own game today, and wanted to win much more than Donegal, delighted for them, a county I always liked, they had Jim King and Gerry Sherridan and Gerry Faulkner in the 1980s, would be on any county team back then, then the late 80s came with the great Ronan Carolan and the late Vivian Dowd among others on the great U21 team that Offaly beat in 1988...I remember their last win in 1997, great to see them back as Ulster Champions...

Tipperary, where does one start, almost going out against Limerick in that game, they were gee'd up today for Cork, their big name players stepped upto the mark, abit iffy about dropping they Moloney chap to faciliate O'Riordan back from Sydney Swans, Moloney is a fine footballer, and I do believe the manager has the personality and the squad support, to make a move like bringing in O'RIordan and dropping Moloney and keeping all on board...people will come on here and say you have to do what you have to do to win, maybe, and when you win all are unified, when you loose, very easy for players to turn around and say to hell with this ...it happens...Cork done the very same thing today that they were, to be honest, very lucky to get away with against Kerry, over passing, over retaining the ball, not shooting within 25/30 metres of the goal, almost trying to create the perfect dead cert score...if you cannot kick it over the bar in space from 25/30 yards, you are at nothing....I pity Cork in ways, like Wexford beating Kilkenny in the early 1980's, only for Offaly to beat them in the Leinster final, Cork beat Kerry, and should have had a bit more about them today, but they looked the very same today as they did against Kerry, and they were more than lucky to beat Kerry.

Offaly will say, we ran TIpp to a few points back in the league, and we had our chance to beat them with an extra man, but opted to remain over cautious even with the extra man, no "lets make this count" etc...Dublin will be happy enough this weekend, can any of the teams left beat them?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Look at John Connellan's letter. Between 2010 and 2014, Dublin received €270.70 per club registered player in coaching and games development funding. In comparison, Mayo GAA received €22.30 per club registered player, Tyrone received €21 and Kerry received €19. There is no equity or fairness in that. That's doping to me.

Granted Dublin GAA haven't pissed it away, but that's another story entirely. It's easy plan with that level of financial backing, and that's before the AIG sponsorship and Dublin's other 'corporate partners'. And I look forward to you informing us how Offaly GAA have improved this year.
private joker wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm An extremely well ran County board would have a lot to do with it also. Money well spent. As Eddie brennans off the record comments suggested about laois county board, more to do with good planning and proper planning and strategy in dublin than your suggestion of doping. Offaly county board until this year has been very poorly ran. Similar down in Cork where it was horrendous.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

On the money going to dublin on the basis of registered players. There is a lot of unregistered players at 4, 5 6 years of age in the nursery and dont get factored in the numbers. There are huge numbers playing the game now in dublin. There are clubs were 4 to 500 kids in their nursery's. Huge games program every weekend both hurling and football. All Dublin clubs are currently training till about the 15th of December and will be back by the 16th of January. 200 coaches a month are currently doing the coach education programme. A plan had to be formed before any money was given to Dublin. Cork could've funded a GPO program for the next 20 years but they built a stadium instead. Offaly has spent a huge amount on the faithful fields and o connor Park. Why has only one club in offaly have a GPO? Niall o connor in clare wrote about the way his county is been ran and that has little to do with money.
I would give more money to other counties but I wouldn't give it to the county boards. I was listening to the roscommon games manager on the radio last year. He said he wouldn't have work for anymore staff. Dublin money goes to GPO s and raising participation numbers and mentors numbers. They spend most of their time in primary schools and coach education.

In regards to the county board, I didn't say they have improved as this is a non year. I said it was badly ran up to this year. The early signs were good in regards to fixtures and communication seemed to be a lot more open. What are your thoughts on the current county board?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Obviously this year is a write off. You did indeed say it was very poorly ran until this year which gave me the impression that was no longer the case and I was all agog to hear details of the good news!
private joker wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:21 pm In regards to the county board, I didn't say they have improved as this is a non year. I said it was badly ran up to this year. The early signs were good in regards to fixtures and communication seemed to be a lot more open. What are your thoughts on the current county board?