Longest serving players in Offaly club championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Longest serving players in Offaly club championship

Post by Tmacmahon »

In light of the great Alan Mcnamee’s incredible record in terms of winning championships and his unbelievable service since 1998,
Who are the longest serving players in Offaly alongside him?( surely nobody close to Alan)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Longest serving players in Offaly club championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Breeder. Debut in 1996. Has made in the region of 200 championship appearances for his club.

Brian Carroll is a Coolderry Senior since 2000. Barry Teehan may have hurled Senior a year earlier but I'd have to check.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

That’s some going by Mullins.He’s been brilliant for so long now ,as have the two lads as well. Some service.

I think John Kenny played some part this year with Daingan, his debut was circa 93,

Ger Lynam played with Erin rovers this year and he played in the early 90’s as well.

Scott Brady is on the go a long time now .im not sure when he started.

There is a Kearney lad hurling with shamrocks since around 2000.

Niall Mcnamee 2001 and Shane sullivan not long after

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tmacmahon wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:22 pm That’s some going by Mullins.He’s been brilliant for so long now ,as have the two lads as well. Some service.

I think John Kenny played some part this year with Daingan, his debut was circa 93,

Ger Lynam played with Erin rovers this year and he played in the early 90’s as well.

Scott Brady is on the go a long time now .im not sure when he started.
Yes, John Kenny was playing for Daingean in 1993. Scott Brady played for Clara in 1998.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Evidence below that John Kenny was playing in 1993.
Interestingly, Daingean's 2nd sub would have been in his 70s by my reckoning.

http://daingeangaa.ie/Shared%20Document ... 0Clara.pdf

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

It WAS a conspiracy theory.
Bord na Mona man wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:09 pm Evidence below that John Kenny was playing in 1993.
Interestingly, Daingean's 2nd sub would have been in his 70s by my reckoning.

http://daingeangaa.ie/Shared%20Document ... 0Clara.pdf

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I am reliably informed by someone from over that way that Conor Gath made his Senior debut in 1996.

Brian Troy retired at the end of last year having made his Senior debut in 1997. Joe Brady hurled Senior from 1999 to 2019 inclusive.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

It would be interesting to hear from the various clubs as to who is the longest serving players etc

Some men to keep going all the above

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Not too sure but did Damian "Gift" Fox play junior hurling with Tullamore again this year? He definitely played last year. He is probably hurling senior since 1980ish and possibly even the late 70's as a teenager......

Would be hard to to top that
jimbob

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Well that surely won’t be beaten :lol:

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The only stand out candidate from the names mentioned is Mullins as he has played at the top level since 1996 the rest of dropped to lower ranks.

His level of performance and attention to detail is what any top team is what all teams success is based on. I am surprised a top inter county team has not came knocking on his door to be a member of the backroom team because when he talks eveyone listens he is just one of them characters. I am sure he would make a top class goalkeeping coach.
I know Lusmagh thought he was brilliant and I know what younger lads within the club think of him also.

I forget to mention his shot stopping ability is on a different level and are the same now as when he was in his prime.
Cant talk up this man enough.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

I would tend to agree although perhaps Alan McNamee playing midfield in football mostly at midfield is more impressive as it’s more taxing on the body.

I agree I have heard that Mullins was excellent with Liam agh, I always loved the way he carried himself , nice lad by accounts as well

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:29 am The only stand out candidate from the names mentioned is Mullins as he has played at the top level since 1996 the rest of dropped to lower ranks.

His level of performance and attention to detail is what any top team is what all teams success is based on. I am surprised a top inter county team has not came knocking on his door to be a member of the backroom team because when he talks eveyone listens he is just one of them characters. I am sure he would make a top class goalkeeping coach.
I know Lusmagh thought he was brilliant and I know what younger lads within the club think of him also.

I forget to mention his shot stopping ability is on a different level and are the same now as when he was in his prime.
Cant talk up this man enough.
Very good goalkeeper, must be in his 40's now, and still playing. I believe he is a good tennis player too.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Donie Ryan played Adult (junior B) first in 1992, made senior championship debut in 1994 and played first team championship for Doon last year (played in junior final and every game of last year’s championship) and still flying it this year for the junior C’s.
Doon exile....

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

jimbob17 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:03 am Not too sure but did Damian "Gift" Fox play junior hurling with Tullamore again this year? He definitely played last year. He is probably hurling senior since 1980ish and possibly even the late 70's as a teenager......

Would be hard to to top that
I asked around and yeah Damien Fox played a couple of games this year some going in fairness