Standard of Senior club hurling in Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Re: Standard of Senior club hurling in Offaly

Post by mynamesjeff »

Leagues are gone.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

That offical?

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:35 pm If you were impressed with Kiladangan and Loughmore . . . you wanna see Na Piarsaigh.
Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 pm watched the Tipperary final today on TG4 and seen other rounds as well...anyone that says the standard of club hurling in Offaly is as good as these counites is kidding themselves..OK kIladangan may not go on and win an All Ireland, simply because they will have to face a Na Piarsaigh or a Ballygunner in 1st round or at some stage in Munster...Ballyhale or the Dublin Champions are Leinsters equivocal, and at that the Offaly champions may not even get to meet them (Rynaghs knocked out by Laois champions last year and Wexford champions in 2017 when the won it)....Loughmore or Kiladangan would have beaten any team in Offaly today..maybe not everyday but the skill levels of these teams are way above anything I have seen in Offaly.....

just a point on this offaly also in club hurling have been left behind. just back to last years leinster club theres no way an offaly club team should be beaten by 20 plus points by the laois winners rathdowney/Erill fair enough to be beaten but we were gave a lesson of the skills of the game that day. and lets remember rathdowney/Erill were beaten by carlows st mullins after.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

you may have seen my post re the 1984 centenary final elsewhere on this forum...it ended up a ten point win for Cork, but the sheer intensity of the game start to finished has me gobsmacked, (I was 14 in 1984, the game was on GOLD channel on SKY last few nights)....the ground hurling was something else, intensity was 100%....you wouldnt see the likes now adays..most games now are very pedestrianised, bar the odd game involving he big teams, and at that, it isnt for the full game...hurling has changed for the worst in my view..the lethargy is very evident now in most club games too..Iw was on the pitch in recent years after a county final, the loosing team were getting pats on the back etc. as usual, 2 or 3 were showing signs of disappointment, the rest of the team and panel were talking to family/friends "will you ring me when your heading over" and "bring my gear back, Ime heading with Jimmy, Ill text ya later" etc. etc.. it was as if it was after a training session or a challenge game..no sign of real disappointment that I seen outwardly anyway...

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

I agree this light ball is a problem, there are great scores but the ball is in play a lot less, a goalkeeper can land the ball on the 21 with a breeze behind him whereas back then a score from 70 was rare.
Another thing that bugs me is the size of panels, back them 24 was your panel now it could be 40.
Dies that devalue an all ireland medal when u could have 20 lads that never hit a ball getting medals.
For small counties its not sustainable to have huge panels because if a county spend 300 k on a panel of 40 if they panel was 26 100k would be saved by the cb.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Couple of things:
I would have thought the ball is in play much more, quicker restarts and the like.

Don't be fooled by extremely lengthy puckouts. They are actually counter productive. The practice only leads to half-forward lines pushing too far upfield and causing crowding. And results in too much space in your defensive / midfield area. I was surprised Tipperary persisted with this on Sunday. The ling puckouts produced very few scores for them.
Liam2020 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:19 pm I agree this light ball is a problem, there are great scores but the ball is in play a lot less, a goalkeeper can land the ball on the 21 with a breeze behind him whereas back then a score from 70 was rare.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 pm Couple of things:
I would have thought the ball is in play much more, quicker restarts and the like.

Don't be fooled by extremely lengthy puckouts. They are actually counter productive. The practice only leads to half-forward lines pushing too far upfield and causing crowding. And results in too much space in your defensive / midfield area. I was surprised Tipperary persisted with this on Sunday. The ling puckouts produced very few scores for them.
Liam2020 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:19 pm I agree this light ball is a problem, there are great scores but the ball is in play a lot less, a goalkeeper can land the ball on the 21 with a breeze behind him whereas back then a score from 70 was rare.
Puckouts, not restarts! Please call them puckouts, please.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I throroughly agree with the puck out statement, re start is when the second half throws in or extra time etc..gaelic football is gone down the rugby road as if it wasnt bad enough, terms like "we are not turning over the ball quick enough" or "we are conceding possession to easily when trying to break out"...ffs..these things drive me mad, the game of football is bad enough, hurling I think is beginning to slip now too with little or no intensity in some matches and these foreign speak/terminology coming into the descriptions now too...

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

It’s only natural that the game of hurling has evolved to where it is at right now. It made little or no sense for squads and management teams to be putting so much effort and time into preparing themselves without looking at an obvious way to improve. ie try to retain possession over the more entertaining and traditional method of drive it long and let two men compete.
The excitement that them duals brought were tremendous and games of yesteryear seemed more edge of the seat .
As we become more sophisticated with preparation and sports science we will see more and more set plays from general play . There will be more and more thought and choreography into each play and the off the cuff hurling will not be as prominent.
Limerick are case in point. They play with a crowded defence and work the ball through the hands until a clear path to gillane or mulcahy is on. The ball in is always to the forwards advantage even when in the case of gillane he is often surrounded by 3 men.
It probably is far more simple than people tend to let on. Keep the ball,
I do often long for a more direct less tippy happy game but I can see the preparation and skill of the current players and their execution is top class. I can honestly say I enjoy the game and yes there are more shots at goals and as a result more pick outs than we were used to, but that’s the evolution at play.
Stronger more athletic players who are thinking about the game more than ever, ways to improve etc,
Scoring and shots at goal have increased because the expertise of backroom teams and management have created an environment for players to improve what the game is about. Scoring.
I can’t see a situation where we will ever go back to hurling as it was 20 years ago.
The game has changed beyond belief in the last 20 years .
It’s still a great watch.

Best of luck to our hurlers at the weekend

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Ever read the rule book?
Rule 1.1 states "The ball is in play once it has been thrown in or picked, after the referee has given a signal to start or restart play, and it remains in play until..."
llkj wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 am Puckouts, not restarts! Please call them puckouts, please.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:29 pm Ever read the rule book?
Rule 1.1 states "The ball is in play once it has been thrown in or pucked, after the referee has given a signal to start or restart play, and it remains in play until..."
llkj wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 am Puckouts, not restarts! Please call them puckouts, please.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:30 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:29 pm Ever read the rule book?
Rule 1.1 states "The ball is in play once it has been thrown in or pucked, after the referee has given a signal to start or restart play, and it remains in play until..."
You were referring to puckouts in your original comment, weren't you? That faster puckouts mean that the ball is in play more. I don't think you were referring to line balls, throw ins, or any other form of 'restart'. Puckouts have always been and always should be called puckouts... never restarts.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'll call them what I like, thank you very much.

Incidentally, keep an eye on what Limerick do with line balls the next time they are on TV. Traditionalists will go bananas.
llkj wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:46 pm You were referring to puckouts in your original comment, weren't you? That faster puckouts mean that the ball is in play more. I don't think you were referring to line balls, throw ins, or any other form of 'restart'. Puckouts have always been and always should be called puckouts... never restarts.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Puckouts are puckouts. Not restarts. Ever!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tmacmahon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:31 pm
As we become more sophisticated with preparation and sports science we will see more and more set plays from general play . There will be more and more thought and choreography into each play and the off the cuff hurling will not be as prominent.............
Stronger more athletic players who are thinking about the game more than ever, ways to improve etc,
Scoring and shots at goal have increased because the expertise of backroom teams and management have created an environment for players to improve what the game is about.
Have you ever watched American Football Tmacmahon?
Trust me, you boys would love it. Theres nothing off the cuff or anything exciting like that. It's all about the set plays and choreography.And you get 3 hours of it instead of a measly 70 mins with the hurling. Worth a watch.