Senior A Football Champioship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Phoenix
All Star

Re: Senior A Football Champioship

Post by Phoenix »

I saw the 2nd semi-final on the online 247.tv service. Each team had to overcome challenges. Tullamore had to come back after Ferbane's goal to lead at the end of normal time. Tullamore could have won it 10 times with the chances they had, particularly in the first period of extra time. Ferbane overcame their injuries to get vital equalising scores, showing their class every time the game was on the line. Cian Johnson once again showed how amazingly accurate he is when he gets his shot away - despite the fact he doesn't get much separation. Tullamore would have been very unlucky to lose but Ferbane would equally have deserved it if they had come out on the right side of the penalty shootout.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

Rhode to win the senior A.
Gracefield to win the senior B.
KK to win the intermediate.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

Rhode to win the senior A.
Gracefield to win the senior B.
KK to win the intermediate.
Daingean to win the junior.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

- Congratulations to Rhode - worthy champions for 2020. Aren't slowing down any time soon.
- Best and most competitive Offaly senior football championship in a long number of years?
- Clara relegated from Senior - have they ever played in the second tier before? Gracefield missed their chance to bounce back to Senior and may find themselves looking down rather than up over next few years. Clara will walk Senior B.
- Durrow join the Senior ranks next year and become another Senior dual club with Ferbane(Belmont)
- Tullamore blooded many young players in the run to the final - famine since 2013 continues
- Cappincur registered a historic win against neighbours Tullamore (Missed out on a semi final due to a 1 point defeat to Clara - a draw would have been enough)
- Alan Mc - 13 senior medals. Never be beaten. Outstanding longevity. Niall Mc - pure class still.
- Senior POTY - Ruairi McNamee/Niall McNamee/Aaron Leavy

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Rhode, champions again, number 30, 4th title in 5 years, a super bunch of players

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Nobody will beat Alan mcnamees medal record.
Niall Mc 7 man of the matches in finals
Could Cian Johnson beat this? He’s in a young Ferbane team who have already got over the line and will be in finals more often than not in the coming years, someone said he had 13 possessions vs tullamore 6 points from play and fouled 5 times, he already has 1 MOTM in a final 6 to go he is best placed to challenge that record.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I would like to see a greater spread of SF titles in coming years. No fault of Rhode, but it's not ideal to have one team dominate a championship.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Been Senior since they won the Intermediate in 1956.
NewEra wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:27 am - Clara relegated from Senior - have they ever played in the second tier before?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Has Niall McNamee really got 7 county final MOTM awards? Source?

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:55 pm Been Senior since they won the Intermediate in 1956.
NewEra wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:27 am - Clara relegated from Senior - have they ever played in the second tier before?
Wow - 64 years at the top table. Do you know POTH, have any Offaly teams, football or hurling, been a mainstay at senior ranks for their existence?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Tullamore won the first one, in 1896 and have been Senior ever since.
I would have guessed Rhode were too, but I pulled the club's centenary history just to be sure and I was surprised to see they were regraded Junior in 1917. They won the 1917 Junior at the first attempt and have been Senior ever since.
Ferbane have been Senior since winning the Junior in 1964.
Edenderry spent a year at Intermediate around 2008ish.
Cappincur, Bracknagh and Shamrocks have came up in recent years, as everyone knows.

In hurling, Coolderry have always been Senior and so have Birr.
St Rynagh's are Senior since 1964, there's been a Senior club in Kilcormac-Killoughey parish since 1965, Shinrone are Senior since winning the Intermediate in 1991, Belmont did likewise in 2004, while Ballinamere and Seir Kieran are recent Senior B winners.
NewEra wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:23 pmWow - 64 years at the top table. Do you know POTH, have any Offaly teams, football or hurling, been a mainstay at senior ranks for their existence?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:30 pm Edenderry spent a year at Intermediate around 2008ish.
It was 2007 POTH. They were relegated in 2006.
Does anyone remember the full circumstances around their relegation? It was chaotic if I remember correctly.
There were 3 teams involved. Edenderry, Shannonbridge and Doon and 2 were to be relegated. There was some crazy system of playoff games to determine the two that dropped. The Shannonbridge v Doon result was disputed up as far as Croke Park due to an infamous 16th man. Did Edenderry then threaten legal action? It's bugging me now as to what the full story was....I'm normally good at remembering this stuff but this was such a mess of a situation that I can't figure out what went on. Ross Brady decided then that he was no longer from Edenderry after their relegation :P

As for Clara's relegation that year. I've nothing personally against the club but I will say that after their carry on in last years semi final they were unlikely to have an 'luck' on their side this year.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Did Edenderry then threaten legal action?
No, we just went down to intermediate.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything