40 years since we started the Hurling Revolution

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

40 years since we started the Hurling Revolution

Post by The Biff »

No matter what other "pretenders" followed later on in 1980 itself and in later decades, surely this was the most momentous upset in Hurling since God was a nipper. It ranks as one of my biggest sporting regrets that I was not among the 9000-ish attendance on the famous day in Croke Park. I cant remember why but it cannot have been that I did not think they had a chance. Sure hadn't many in my Football end of the county already been happy to have double the days out in those Summers of the late 70's. The celebrations on the pitch at the end of the match are truly epic. It's rare to see such utter elation and wild-abandon in players and supporters now.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0713/ ... y-hurling/

Surely a good Trivia question arising .... whose jersey was Padraig Horan wearing when he lifted the Bob O'Keefe cup in 1980?
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: 40 years since we started the Hurling Revolution

Post by Bord na Mona man »

There is a great interview by Pat Nolan of Padraig Horan and Damien Martin here:
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/hu ... s-22336856

You'll find the answer to the jersey question.

A few points of note in the article.
- Did Offaly suffering an early whistle in 1980 make people more eager to register a protest in 1998?
- Frank Murphy must have spent his entire life lodging objections
- Interesting that the hurling oriented clubs seemed less in favour of outside help, even though a Cork man Br. Denis had made great strides in getting Offaly better organised.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: 40 years since we started the Hurling Revolution

Post by Fairplayalways »

it is surely 40 years and who thought we would find ourselves almost back where we begun, that said, we need to move on, we have had enough of "hall of fames" ...anniversary of this that and the other, repeat team holidays etc..mark them certainly once but then move on..our local media only a week or so ago Seamus Darby was involved in a motor accident, around Tullamore in recent times, after briefly detailing the initial circumstances which were fair to both parties involved, it turned into "Seamus Darby scored the winning goal in the 1982 all Ireland final and went on a bit about his Offaly football context etc...for Gods sake like come on...