Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

Post by joe bloggs »

I reckon within 7 to 10 days Dublin will be in lockdown territory, going by the past 7 days growth there, but we may all be "in it together" again. One more week for the €€€€€ to be spent in the tourism sector. Hotels that have been full for the last two months will have few bookings from September onwards as the schools go back.

Anyway back to the hurling behind closed doors.
Hopefully plenty of games can be streamed for us all to see. Leitrim Co Board were possibly right when they had already moved behind closed doors as the 200 limit was putting enormous pressure on club secretaries with people looking for tickets that couldn't be got.
I really feel the government should have allowed in 500 but face masks mandatory and more emphasis on social distancing. I only got to one game and I made sure I was not near anyone else, but im sad to say many others didn't observe social distancing.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Didnt get a chance to preview the weekends senior A action, so here is my assessment of the games I seen and the results:

Belmont 2-21 Shinrone 0-20...Belmont showed plenty of fight in this game, and did so when it mattered most, were very unlucky not win by more in ways, but you have to credit the Shinrone keeper for some breath taking saves...he really was outstanding...Belmont will say they hurled alot better than in 1st round defeat to St. Rynaghs, and they did, but lordy me Shinrone seemed to get it into their heads sometime out from finish that "we wont win this" and it was all reaction hurling after that rather than planned our organised etc..I am surprised and disapointed with the way they faded out of the game completely almost.

Belmont defended very well in fairness when they were under threath, but the punch Shinrone had upfront was very different from what St. Rynaghs had or what Kilcormac might have in latter stages.that said it was a good win for Belmont, and they will be happy with it.Shinrone I believe still have a chance, of beating the other 2 for the last spot, so it will be interesting to see how they re-act against St. Rynaghs, they will surely go at it hammer and thongs for the 60 minutes..

Coolderry 1-21 Kilcormac/Killoughey 1-22 - only heard reports of this game, a win a is a win, Kilcormac are now through, Coolderry must have been ok to push KK so close, so last round of games will be interesting.

Rynaghs 2-19 Ballinamere 1-18...Rynaghs went into a big lead and then maybe, I dont know, heads went elsewhere, and that is not good enought, Ballygunner didnt spare Passage in the Waterford final on TG4 yesterday..that is the sign of a good team, not that anyone wants to see a team hammered but you have to keep at it.

The Rynaghs subs at the end were the usual ones, will they every give some of the good young talent a game and let them develop, Gaza and Flannery have served Rynaghs well, Gaza in particular, but for Gods sake, I see young lads on the panel now a few years and they are not going to hang around for ever, and I would say the year we are having is maybe why some are still around, if it was a normal year they would be gone.

Young Tierney and Luke O'Connor are good enough to start fair enough, but the others are surely good subs, not to say Rynaghs hung on and won and that is what Ken Hogan will say matters at the end of the day, which is true.

Ballinamere were fierce poor, I havent seen them hurl too often, but some of their big names hardly broke a sweat for the first 45 minutes, and some were fumbling are rooting around, I had to look at the names again to see were these the players I thought they were..they finishsed strong, whether that was Rynaghs going with old guard for subs or Balliamere letting off the shackles, it was probably the latter...

I will say, they will cause Belmont serious problems in the last game if they hurl like they did in the last 7/8 minutes yesterday for the majority of the game the next day...and they wont fear Belmont either and will view them as somewhat equals, so I wouldnt rule out Ballinamre getting a result V Belmont, if they can contain Oisin Kelly as best they can and do their own business up the other end of the field, but that is where they can win the game.

Birr V Clareen off due breivement _ condolences to Connors and Troy families

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So far the Senior championship, while tight and competitive, is progressing along expected lines. Kilcormac/Killoughey had to dig deep the grind out the win against Coolderry but really K/K with in around the 20 wide mark shouldn’t have had to been in a position where they could have been caught. They had a really good spell in the 2nd quarter but some very questionable shot selections stopped them from building even more of a lead than the 7 points they had at HT. The introduction of Kevin Brady at the break galvanised Coolderry and he made a big impact as KK began to falter but they managed to stumble over the line. They are now all but assured a place in the semi – final.

No real surprises in the results in the other 2 games where Belmont had a 7 point win over Shinrone and Banagher disposed of Ballinamere. After Kevin Corrigan giving them a full page spread after drawing with a team who have never won a county final one would have thought that Ballinamere would have pushed on to beat Banagher but alas no. Both Shinrone and Ballinamere now have to in their final games to have any chance of going through. Shinrone might have a chance as Banagher are through to semi –finals and guaranteed to top spot in their group. However Belmont should account for Ballinamere so that would see them Belmont join Banagher in the semi-finals.

In the Senior B Lusmagh got their campaign back on track with a comprehensive win over Drumcullen and as expected Kinnitty had a comfortable win over K/K.

The other group threw up the surprise result of the weekend where Clara drew with Clodiagh Gaels which means 2 of Tullamore, Clodiagh Gaels and Clara can qualify. At this juncture I would predict Tullamore to beat CG, Clara to beat Carrig and Riverstown (who are officially eliminated) which would leave that group with 1. Tullamore and 2. Clara

Semi finals would then be Tullamore v Lusmagh and Clara v Kinnitty and I would expect Kinnitty and Lusmagh to meet again in the final.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Birr 1-28 Clareen 1-16...wasnt at game so cannot comment, it would appear Birr were fairly sharp going by the high score...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So the mathematic certainties even before the weekend are that:

1.Kilcormac and Banagher will top their groups and avoid each other in semi finals.

2. Clareen are eliminated.

3. The winners of Birr vs Coolderry qualifies to play Banagher in semi - final. Losers are out. (A draw would see Birr progress)

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:02 pm So the mathematic certainties even before the weekend are that:

1.Kilcormac and Banagher will top their groups and avoid each other in semi finals.

3. The winners of Birr vs Coolderry qualifies to play Banagher in semi - final. Losers are out. (A draw would see Birr progress)
Thanks for your pertinent comments re semi finalists. Who do you think will come through from the other group Belmont,or Ballinamere, I think Shinrone are gone, can't see them repeat last year's heroics by beating St. Rynagh's. Been a bad year for Shinrone.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think Shinrone are gone way back and if the truth be told hard see them pushing for anything over the next few years alot of very ordinary players.

That leaves the Birr game v Coolderry as the main decider, Birr will be favourites but it will be tight.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:33 pm
frankthetank wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:02 pm So the mathematic certainties even before the weekend are that:

Thanks for your pertinent comments re semi finalists. Who do you think will come through from the other group Belmont,or Ballinamere, I think Shinrone are gone, can't see them repeat last year's heroics by beating St. Rynagh's. Been a bad year for Shinrone.
I think Shinrone have a chance against Banagher. It's not that they are any great shakes or anything just that Banagher are undoubtedly going to field players who mightn't necessarily start the semi-final as it's a dead rubber for them. They will use this game to give guys a chance to stake a claim for the semi-final or give them enough rope to hang themselves with. So on that basis Shinrone are in with a shout. Like if this was a do or die game for both teams I wouldn't give Shinrone a prayer. But it's not.

However even if they win it probably wont make any difference as I fully expect Belmont to account for Ballinamere and to take the 2nd place in the group.

The game of the weekend is Coolderry vs Birr. I've been back and forth on this one but I think Birr should just shade it. At the start of the year I expected Coolderry to lose all 3 games so I have to stick to my guns on it. However the way the year has transpired I wouldn't be surprised to see Coolderry in the semi -finals but I'll go with Birr.

Semi - Final line up predidiciton:
St Rynagh's vs Birr
Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Belmont

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Shinrone have not reached last years standard at all, i know its different championship and all that...hard to see them beat Rynaghs who will surely not go out to lose either, hard to see where the performance is in Shinrone, is there a kick left in them, if they do Ballinamere I think will ask questions of Belmont, if they keep with Belmont early on I think they have a chance too, Belmont have lost the one big header game they had against Rynaghs and one just never knows with them by times...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

I have been very disappointed with the standard of hurling in the games i have watched this year.
I cannot see anything other than a Rynaghs v KK final. Both seem to have been operating within themselves to date and are assured of topping their groups with one match to spare.
I expect Birr and Belmont to make the semi finals.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Actually think promotion of two teams from B grade is a big mistake. One team going up would maintain a high enough standard.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I think Kinnitty will acquit themselves pretty well at Senior A in 2020 if they go up. I feel Lusmagh would be the best equipped to go up with them but might struggle a bit. There seems to be a huge gap between top 9 (8 Senior A teams plus Kinnitty) and the rest but Lusmagh might make a good fist of bridging it.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

What happened at the coolderyy /birr match. Heard lads walk off during the match.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I heard that, apparently Brian Carroll clashed with a team mate, and afterwards walked off the pitch, gathered his belongings on sideline and walked off the pitch completely...now I will say one thing, if that happened, it does not show much respect for his management. If he had a grievance, go to the management afterwards and air your concerns, if it is still an issue and he feels not resolved, walk away then, but not off the pitch during a match, near the end or not. I manage another sport and if a player done that to me, one refused to play once in the dressing room at underage, and he was left in the dressing room!!!...he came back games later but it was my call when he played again, not his...

Look, having said that we dont know the full facts, but it doesnt reflect good on a hurler who was so unfortunate to come on the Offaly inter county scene in such lean times for his full career....Harry Ryan hit Liam Fennelly in a NHL match in New Ross I think it was in the late 80's and got sent off by the ref for hitting his own team mate, apparently it was a row a club level which was brought into the intercounty set up at the time...Fennelly raced though with the ball and Harry Ryan made a rund inside calling for the pass, Fennelly never passed and and got blocked down, Ryan gave him a thump going by...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Yes you dont know the facts he was struck by his own player....mad times for Coolderry!