Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The decision taken by the GAA was one that had to be made.

It's tough on anyone that has county finals (or any other club games) coming up, but unfortunately, otherwise sane people have taken leave of their senses in the course of county final winning celebrations. It's not just in Cork last Sunday, it's not just on television, but every team who wins a championship at any grade seem to ignore the current social distancing recommendations.

It any other year it would be okay to kiss the cup, to pass it around, to hug and embrace each other, to parade down the street, to go on all night benders. That simply isn't possible in the current pandemic. But people who otherwise wear their masks in the shops, wash their hands, work at home and generally observe social distancing are losing themselves in the course of the dam burst of emotion of winning the U14 B or Junior B. Unfortunately the virus isn't so selective that it gives winning hurling and football teams a free pass for a night.

We can't keep doing this. The north of Ireland is more or less on fire. The Forkhill episode is extremely scary. And sadly, someone had to call a halt. It’s tough on Rynagh’s Kilcormac-Killoughey and everyone else getting ready for a final. But is someone in the community contracting a disease that could have long term side effects a reasonable price to pay for a great day and night? I don’t believe it is.
SearingDrive wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 pm Not sure if closing down club activity ahead of official announcement from Government was wise, unless GAA believed that we were going to level 5 immediately. Why have training if club games are off indefinitely.?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

you are correct, this day was always comming, I did see one county final on TG4, I think it was Waterfords Ballygunner winning, and to be fair to them on the pitch, there was not mass celebrating (I know they have won loads of them of course so it wasnt a new thing for them) but still they kept it good when the final whistle went etc.. but the scenes after some of the games now was a disaster waiting to happen.

I have to say too, using the live stream service, those fortunate enough to get tickets, some sat on their own in the ground (how grand that would be if you were fortunated to get a ticket) others, some of an age where they should be minding themsleves in the current situation, down lying on the bar at sideline in a group of 5 or 6 or more, there on camera for all to see...yet these same people stand back letting you come out of the local shop before they enter...apparently the virus doesnt be active when they are at the match with their friends by the way they behave there...

Very tough on Rynaghs & KK, and to be brutally honest, had Bemont/Shinrone or Ballinamere won the final this year, wouldnt the scenes from other counties on our televisions be reciprocated, of course they would, and people would be more than willing to partake. There in lies the problem...I seen one pub advertising on social media the live stream of matches in recent weeks, one involving their own club, and the other the next day not local game at all, despite Michael Duigan advising against this in recent weeks if fairness, and I dont call that (advertising the live stream to be showed in a pub) an oversight, I call it reckless, the case I definitely know of where the games were advertised, the moral compas wouldnt exist and the clientele would be the first in the door when the pubs re-opened and if if the pub re opened again...

I dont know where all this is going to end up, too many people wont do what is required, those of us trying to do the right thing are getting very very weary, and the above situations, while we dont partake, effect everyone else in the long term...hopefully by end of next year we will all look back and say "remember this time last year".......hopefully....

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Thanks for pertinent comments guys.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

By all accounts Offaly made an appeal to Croke Park to allow the 3 finals go ahead this weekend citing the argument that we lost 2 weekends already due to the LOKdown but it fell on deaf ears and it now seems finals will be played in late November/early December.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 pm By all accounts Offaly made an appeal to Croke Park to allow the 3 finals go ahead this weekend citing the argument that we lost 2 weekends already due to the LOKdown but it fell on deaf ears and it now seems finals will be played in late November/early December.
I didn't know that, reasonable request given the circumstances here, but maybe the 'supreme soviet' did not want similar pleas form our neighbours. Fair play to Executive.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

what was the story with the Senior B football final, a player was a close contact and was tested (heres where I get a bit lost) the and was awaiting the result, should that game have gone ahead? players meeting among themselves and voting to go ahead is not hardly satisfactorily now in fairness, did the county board give the goahed to play that game (as in when they became aware of the close contact.

I can see if the close contact case withdrew, the game could possibly go ahead (everyone has their own opinion on that) but did the county board say "yes go ahead an play" or did they say nothing as the game was fixed to go ahead as per original fixture....I find the bit of the players meeting themselves and "voting" to play abit bewildering, now if the county board did give go ahead (rightly or wrongly) so be it, then its fine..any one else have their obs?