Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Senior A and B Hurling Championships 2020

Post by Fairplayalways »

Lusmagh must be gone back ferociously to be beaten by that amount in the B championship...I know its like any ohter rural parish now its all about maintaining numbers and that is very hard to do...

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Edenderry back to Adult hurling for the first time since 2013 county final, huge win against Clareen in the JBHC. From what I hear it’s a very young Edenderry team, great to see the small ball back in the town like it was for a 100+ years before hand. Final score Edenderry 3-17 Clareen 1-10

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Surely this latest lockdown is going to make things extremey difficult for Offaly championships, and that is hoping the current restrictions only are in place the two weeks...if it goes beyond, we are in serious bother....

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

So the lockdown for Offaly is provisionally set to end at midnight on Sunday August 23rd which will mean 3 weekends of lost GAA action.

This means if fixtures are to continue to alternate between football and hurling weekends all county finals will be pushed back 3 weeks. So this would leave the SFC final on Sunday October 11th and the SHC final on Sunday October 18th.

Also spare a thought for the Junior and Junior B hurlers around the county. Pushing those finals back 3 weeks from their original dates brings you to the weekend of November 14th/15th. Prime hurling season!!

However like anything in life this won't be as straightforward as I've outlined because I've deliberately not mentioned the elephant in the room.....the inter-county season.

I don't envy the county board in trying to make up for these lost weekends particularly with so many dual clubs. They might have to get creative. Of course, a scrapping of the inter-county season would be a big help for our club fixtures.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

It says alot about the year we are having even with revamped champinships, if we are fortunnate enought not to experience any futher delays which is highly possible, our county finals could still be played in or around the same time the are played every other year...Inter county thing will be interesting...we might end up with two rounds of championship per week to catch up, games on Wednesdays and Sundays maybe...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Interesting comments from Michael Duignan today. He mentioned that if the current lockdown is to be lifted on midnight Sunday August 23rd as is currently outlined the Offaly County Board will look for special dispensation to play games on Saturday August 22nd and Sunday 23rd which would mean that only 2 weekends of action would have been lost rather than the 3 that is currently in the pipeline.

However considering the conservative nature of all NPHET's decisions so far I wouldn't be optimistic of it happening and if NPHET were to acquiesce to this request I'm sure they would emphasise that the games must be fully behind closed doors.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

I can't see the intre county championship taken place this year.
I think the most cb can afford to spend the money needed to prepare County teams this year.
Would the GAA have not been better just running the club competition this year.
The could have an all Ireland club final as normal.
It would mean less time pressure on cb to finish completions and spending money on team preparations for games that no one can go to see.

Then hopefully in 2021 things will get back to normal.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

good point about just concentrating on club championships this year, and it would have allowed greater scope for situations like at present where outbreaks of covid with in each county...Lordy me I dont know, nor I dont think anyone in power either does, where all this is going long term..talking about planning for the next 6/9 months now today about it...that doesnt augur well...isnt it hard to believe with modern technology and medicine, that a cure cannot be found and tested within a few months...this is a flu like condition (which can kill unfortunately) , it isnt cancer or any other such type illness...I find it incredible with all thats spent on research of more termminally ill diseases, that something such as a bacterial type infection such as Covid cannot be acconted for within a few months...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

County Board have announced that if Covid restrictions are not lifted for Offaly until midnight Sunday August 23rd there will be a round of football played on Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th with a round of hurling on weekend 28th-30th August.

This will result in Offaly losing 2 weekends of matches. Wise decision.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:35 pm County Board have announced that if Covid restrictions are not lifted for Offaly until midnight Sunday August 23rd there will be a round of football played on Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th with a round of hurling on weekend 28th-30th August.

This will result in Offaly losing 2 weekends of matches. Wise decision.
It is a good way to resolve the fixture backlog. What about playing football and hurling on different days the same weekend?
The fortnight's restrictions from 8th August should end on 21st August, but the closure has been extended to the Sunday.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Couldn't possibly do that with the amount of dual clubs.

I think the solution they have come up with is a suitable one.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

One thing that bugs me if carroll meats were based in Dublin and had 230 workers with 9 positive cases, Dublin would not be locked down,
Dublin City would be in a small geographical area than offaly where the population is more compact so higher risk.
So even though the cluster is the same because Dublin population is 20 time ours,they would need an outbreak of 1800 to be equal to ours per 100,000 people.
Statistics can always be found to support a point of view.
I feel offaly has been shafted but laois has been treated even worse.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Liam2020 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:55 am One thing that bugs me if carroll meats were based in Dublin and had 230 workers with 9 positive cases, Dublin would not be locked down,
Dublin City would be in a small geographical area than offaly where the population is more compact so higher risk.
So even though the cluster is the same because Dublin population is 20 time ours,they would need an outbreak of 1800 to be equal to ours per 100,000 people.
Statistics can always be found to support a point of view.
I feel offaly has been shafted but laois has been treated even worse.
Good comment about Dublin. Laos had very few cases, and Offaly figures are quite small.
I hope we get back to normal after 2 weeks.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

If this lockdown gets extended by another couple of weeks we should pull out of the intercounty championships.
Rushing them off to get finished in time would be disrespectful to all the club players who have been training hard over the last few months. The club is the most important unit in the GAA and let's keep it that way.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

we cannot honestly say Dublin wouldnt be locked down if Carroll meats was in Dublin, we are being a bit biassed in that assertion (I was myself on Friday evening to be honest)...I think they (NEPHT) would advise the lock down in any place, the building sites in Dublin were a little different in that they obviously had a handle on it immediately it was known, I said in the last few days this thing about Tullamore and Edenderry being miles from Banagher and Birr and Ferbane etc..yes, but other workers in the factory accessing freezer rooms to load vans, forklift drivers etc. they were all in close enough contact with the workers on the meat line, and that is not to say that the outbreak was on the meat line, it could have been the forklift driver, the van driver, the storeman etc. who could have contacted the virus first, we are all jumping up and down about the workers on line because thats a pre conceived perception and the media show pictures of gowned workers cutting up meat side by side etc..the workers could have been any other worker as listed above, and lived in any other town in Offaly...thats why the blanket county lockdown was imposed. I figured that out over the weekend when I calmed down abit, but it took until last night for Ronan Glynn to point out what he viewed the "mis perception" in the media that the cases were linked closely to the factorys in Tullamore etc...Now infairness he may have caused a major panic if he said that last weekend, but on the other hand he might have helped disperse some of the gatherings I seen outside some establishments whom could open last weekend as they had outside space to serve food/drink, while unplanned I am sure, if you open your door you are enticing a crowd to gather, especially with things as they are. Back to the football/hurling, dual clubs will just have to get on with it now, if a player opts for one code, so be it, no point having a panel of players who are never going to get game time as a fixture is held up everytime because player X playing with the footballers this weekend etc...in the long term you will loose the fringe players through lack of game time...I hear the argument but never supported it..