DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
oneshot
County player

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by oneshot »

Tmacmahon wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 pm Great post white grass.
In terms of stabilising managers over the last 10 years, Cribbin and Flanagan yes both going close to promotion and even though both were far from perfect they did a good job. Maughan can’t be regarded as that, it’s been a turbulent reign in some respects, avoiding relegation on the last day of the league two years running and the ‘good’ run in last years Championship was more luck of the draw ( and thank God because it was great to have a few championship outings) Than a stabilising manager.
Ultimately we need to beat Kildare next week to show improvement and with Kildare not having a game under their belts it may be a brilliant time to take that scalp.
Player unrest was evident or rather player treatment!!
Judging by interviews that young Tierney and joe ( il advised imo) did with the tribune it paints a bad picture of management. The lack of empathy Was strange. I know The Nigal Dunne thing was a separate thing but I read an interview earlier in the year in the Irish times and again it struck me as bad man management and in this case it made me uneasy.

Flanagan ultimately never took a scalp either and that has to be pointed out . We improved under pay Flanagan and he is still probably the best option rn

Cribbin has a great 2010 and overall I would agree with him .

To turn out attention to Sunday , I think it’s a strong team and Carlow are actually missing 3 of their best players in Brendan Murphy, Sean Murphy and st ledger.

I’m not in any way disrespecting Carlow when I see us winning easily.

Isn’t great to have the games back .

if we are to beat carlow theres not a chance we will beat kildare they are way ahead of offaly at the moment . beating laois and westmeath handy enough sides that offaly who struggle to beat and haven’t beaten over the last few years. just a win over carlow tommorrow would be a start.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly got there by 3 points, but it sounded like it was hard in the end.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

A win is a win at the end of the day, goals win games :D

Is their a couple of lads injured? Mickey Brazil, Dsvid Dempsey, Cian Johnson?

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

3-14 to 0-20 we looked to be cruising to victory for once but Cian Farrell got a black card with 10 minutes left and Carlow scores 5 on the trot also Paddy dunican made a brilliant save and Carlow missed a penalty, conceding 0-20 to a team who couldn’t get out of division 4 doesn’t look promising to see what Kildare could score. We left a lot of scores behind us particularly goal chances despite scoring 3. The squad is fairly shook at this stage before the game we were down David Dempsey who was in hospital last I heard , Cian Johnson groin from club championship and micky brazil left the squad. Put them on top of Jordan Hayes Shane Horan and Aaron leavy all off injured in the first half today. But look a win is a win hopefully the injuries aren’t too bad and every game is different so let’s see if we can bring a huge performance to Kildare

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

We got there in the end, tough conditions on all the players and well done to them.
the lilies up next

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

its always nice to win.

Congrats to the team and all involved!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

a win in a win, we will take it with both hands...conditions were terrible, and that is putting it mildly...the game itself, we played alot more positive than the league, starting a strong team makes one wonder what we could have achieved in the league (promotion wise) if we had been a bit more positive...too late for that now. Carlow scored 20 times, we scored 17 times. we had three majors which were decisive, we took ours, to be honest, they were unlucky not to get at least one with balls skimming by the post etc..we conceded 20 points to a division 4 team is a worry, we scored 3-14 (which I will be first to say I predicted we wouldnt) so hats off on the forward aspect...Kildare next week will be a bigger task, not massive either but will be a much different task..well done on yesterday...

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

Well done to the Squad.

Since appearing in the 2006 Final, Offaly have won three games in Leinster; Since 2011 Offaly sides have played something like 99 times in league and championship scoring three or more goals on four Occasions.
So yesterday was a good day no matter what way one looks at it.

The three goals were a continuation not a deviation on Offalys previous methods, Carlow simply weren’t as good at turning Offaly around as the Division 3 teams.

Jordan Hayes caught Paddy Dunican's first kick out, Colm Doyle found space to drive forward, slipped the ball to Panda whose shot hung in the air and Niall McNamee fisted it to the net.

There were 11 or 12 passes in the second goal and most of the build-up occurred in Offalys own half of the field, a lot behind the 45. Colm Doyle caught a kick out inside the 45 and it ended up back with the goalie, Niall Darby was close to being dispossessed or pulled for steps but did well, managing to get out of trouble and Doyle won a free in roughly the centre back position, Eoin Carroll took the free to the opposite side of the field to which the play had developed allowing Declan Hogan to drive up the field. Shane Horan did great to take a pass, give a pass, give a make a run for the return and feed Jordan Hayes who beat a man and finished with a great shot.

The third goal, Ruari McNamee incepted Carlow coming out the field and drove on to the 21 but found his way barred and had to turn back out the field. There were 5 or 6 passes across the 45 till Cian Farrell threaded a ball to Niall McNamee, three Carlow defenders moved to close him down but he got a hand pass to Colm Doyle who was blocked down by the goalie but did fantastic to regain the ball and get it to Bernard Allen who finished really well.

Offaly found gaps yesterday and exploited them. There are less gaps to exploit against higher opposition. Carlow were slower than teams like Kildare or even Longford would be in closing down Hayes and Doyle on the first goal. Horan did really well for Hayes goal and he is always trying unlock defences, but sometimes against better sides he gets dispossessed trying to do this and because he’s not a scorer himself and has no lobbyists inside the county fighting his corner, he becomes a scapegoat. Offaly’s passing in the backline sowed the seeds for that goal but that will be forgotten or ignored, especially the next time they struggle to get the ball out. Ruairi intercepted a several balls yesterday but in the League, Offaly often couldn’t find the space for the type of pass Cian Farrell managed to send to Niall and they would have had to continue passing across the 45, with resulting criticism. There were a lot of moving parts in the goals and they were very well executed but better teams are understandably better equipped to stop such attacks.

Another clean sheet, that’s five from eight games. The half back line did mighty work driving forward. They may find it harder to find gaps next week and they will definitely find they will have to get back into position quicker if Kildare win a turnover. The mid field and half forwards worked like Trojans to make interceptions and turnovers to launch attacks. Seven scorers is a decent spread. 2-7 from those named on the inside line (Although it appeared Peter Cunningham was out the field for much of the game) and 5 points from the bench is uplifting. The subs in general made a positive contribution. There were of coarse errors but they were the honest mistakes of a side trying to win as a team rather than selfish ones. When you’re trying to dig out results its that selfless mind-set that works. Confidence is the all-important issue. Understandably Offaly teams who haven’t experienced much success and constantly hear about the lads at home, often appear to doubt themselves when they get a lead.

But in the end they dug it out. Fair play to them.

Delighted for a lot of lads, hope the win helps back themselves in future

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Division 3 next year will have both the Munster and Ulster provincial champions. Great wins by Cavan and Tipperary. Promotion will be a big task.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I can hear that being our excuse for not getting promoted before a ball is kicked in Div 3 next 2021 season..if we go out to play football and the beat us, fine, we tried, if we go out (like Cork yesterday and in their game against kerry for which they were dosed to win) and start over passing and over retaining it, we will finish bottom possibly or near enough again...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Fair dues to Tipp and Cavan. It shows what a win or 2 and a bit of momentum can give to a team.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:02 pm I can hear that being our excuse for not getting promoted before a ball is kicked in Div 3 next 2021 season..if we go out to play football and the beat us, fine, we tried, if we go out (like Cork yesterday and in their game against kerry for which they were dosed to win) and start over passing and over retaining it, we will finish bottom possibly or near enough again...
I said it would be a big task, not making any excuses. With 2 provincial champions in the league, it gives the lie to the Tailteann Cup idea. Congrats to Cavan and Tipperary.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Mickey Harte to Louth is a fair appointment, interesting to see how he does with them on a 3 year contract...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

does it matter i think the leinster chaampoinship is dead, great coup for louth but would they be 20 to 30 points off Dublin come champonship time i belive they will. the only thing for leinster counties outside of dublin is to have a good run in the leagues as the champonship is a dead duck .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

all the more reason to put a bit of real emphasis on the league now, Dublin are doing to Leinster football what Kilkenny have done to hurling, all very well sayingyou cannot blam them, they have set a standard etc. etc., the problem is, in particular to Dublin, they have the big name sponsors and structures, and employment opportunities for players who do make the grade...the rest of Leinster does not have such resources..I wouldnt even waste money trying to match them, what would it cost..sure no "rural" county board could afford that...

Galway in Leinster hurling is absolutely no use to Leinster hurling (great for Galway alright) Laois and Offaly now are pushed back where as in the /80's and 90's they were up there or there abouts....Leisnter hurling, with Galway have been caught out too..Kilkenny were not really at the races all year, yet won a Leinster title...some counties cannnot win one when they do have a strong team as Kilkenny beat them into oblivion, many never to recover and fall light years behind..so let Kilkenny and Dublin spin out, their runs will end, nothing lasts for ever, and when they are gone back we will have a "normal" championship again....