DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am I detect nearly a sense of reliefthat Leitrim forfeited against Down and may not play next weekend possibly, if that is the level of hope in this Offaly squad we might as well shut up shop now..I didnt see the game yesterday, but listened to R3 commentary..the usual over labouring in possession was the feel of the game I got off the commentary...Tipp went down to 14 men with Jack Kennedys black card, Offaly were maybe a point or 2 down..I know Tipp pulled back all players behind the ball, but we still didnt capitalisze on the numbers advantage, once Kennedy came back on, they actually pulled out 3 clear and 4 as well...in injury time, Offaly were 4 points down, with only one player inside the 45..the mind boggles...time was running down the Offaly were passing the ball around with under a minute left as if they were in the lead...

I dont know, it has been a poor camapaign, surviving Division 3 now is our goal after a a couple of games every year.we won 2 games, I cannot even remember who they were against, Leitrim I think was one and maybe Louth the other, I dont know off the top of my head, but look where they are on the table...John Maughan actually said he was pleased with the perfrormcance but not the result:( strange comment I thought.
I think we are lucky there are so called worse teams than us in the Division...
Offaly beat Louth and Leitrim, and drew with Longford. I listened to Mid 103 yesterday, and I got the same message on the games. Offaly missed 3 or 4 point chances before half time, but when Tipperary went down to 14 men, in the second half, Offaly didn't take advantage. It seemed to me that a couple of chances were missed due to handling errors in the second period. That was a game we could have won, but we are still down to the last game of the season for survival, as in the last 3 years. Derry will be a stiff test next week if it goes ahead, with the proposed restrictions.
I would like to see Offaly make a determined effort to get promoted whenever the new season resumes.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I had the same issues as everyone else with GAAGO. It was unwatchable for the first half. I had the Midlands Radio commentary from the wireless but that was a minute ahead.

In a one score game you couldn't say that Tipperary were significantly better than Offaly. They went 7-3 ahead and their lead oscillated from 1 to 4 points thereafter.
From what I could see, Offaly were caught out early on by a couple of arrow kick outs from Evan Comerford.

Offaly battled gamely but didn't give the impression they could have a purple patch to put them in the driving seat. Even with Tipp having a couple of injuries and a black card, Offaly only slightly had the upper hand.
Tipp's forward play was more efficient where they had players like Conor Sweeney who could take on his marker and get a shot away. Offaly tended to work the ball through a few pairs of hands before having a shot.
Offaly also need to work out patterns of play where long range shooters like Peter Cunningham, John Maloney or Eoin Carroll are being teed up with more clean ball in the pocket.

There were a couple of sniffs at goal and if Conor McNamee's shot had been a few inches lower maybe we could maybe have snatched a draw.
Casey in midfield for Tipp hit two big boomers from distance in the closing stages which took the wind out of Offaly.

With Offaly out of the promotion and relegation battles the game with Derry offers a chance to sharpen up the attacking play a bit.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Next weeks fixtures (provided they go ahead) Sunday 25th October 2020 - Allianz FL Division 3 round 7
Longford v Cork, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 2pm - Cork to win by 9/10 points
Louth v Down, Drogheda, 2pm - Down to win by 6/7 points - Louth cannot be as bad as the beating Cork gave them - they will reist here I think
Leitrim v Tipperary, Carrick-on-Shannon, 2pm - people "not happy" with the stance Leitrim took?? I dont see why, if they were affected by Covid, they were right, their manager spoke alot of truths Ide say...was he trying to avoid relegation by throwing a spanner in the works...I dont know and doubt it. Tipperary will win here by about 3/4 points
Offaly v Derry, Tullamore, 2pm - Derry will win here by about 7/8 points if Offaly play anwway well, if Offaly play crippled with fear, it will be 10 points or more of a loss, the latter is very possible.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Shane Curran stirring shit on Twitter about offaly team selection. What would he know? There’s a reason why no club keeps him he’s absolutely nuts. Looking for attention on Twitter at his age is very petty

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

didnt see it to be honest and not particularly interested, having said that, in relation to his stance before the senior B final, a player was awaiting a test, it came back negative (I hope I remember it right) the players had a meeting the morning of the final after he (Curran) walked away and "agreed among themselves" to play the final..not sure if the county board had any input, if not they should have, and if they had, the advice should have been surely NOT to play until the result of the test came back negative...its a few weeks ago, and alot has happened since in all counties whom I follow and Offaly, but no more than whats going on at national level at the moment, Offaly hurlers have a case (or two now I think) and have conceded the game V Kildare today, Antrim have a few cases, yet they are "opting" to play the 1st round of JMCD tomorrow, I sew Wexford footballers played last week and today having had confirmed cases I think, Leitrim, and Offaly hurlers seem to be the only ones showing any real leadership...the GAA at intercounty level seem to be "devolving" down to local level which is wrong, this is either one way or the other..Offaly GAA should have slammed the door shut on the Senior B final as a test was pending..look, I know its difficult, but some clubs and counties are doing as they see fit...not on...its either all or nothing...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Roscommon game should not have proceeded today under no circumstances...they had one case and Cavan county polluted with Covid...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:08 am Roscommon game should not have proceeded today under no circumstances...they had one case and Cavan county polluted with Covid...
It's history now. Though it seems there are inconsistencies in how different counties deal with the virus. Roscommon are promoted, along with Armagh. Cavan and Fermanagh drop to Division 3, along with Wicklow and Limerick promoted from Division 4. Well done to Wicklow.
Offaly, Longford, Tipperary and probably Derry will comprise Division 3in 2021, with the 4 new counties mentioned. No easy games there. Derry to win today.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Another shocker today. Desperately negative stuff. I'll say it again.....the ultra negative 15 men behind the ball does not suit this team.
Maughan needs to watch back the Meath game from last year and see how these lads can actually attack. I don't care if theres a strong wind and the opposition have 15 men behind the ball......isn't that all the more reason to keep your full forward line pushed up in near the goal to at least have an option and occupy some their defenders?
Offaly spent an extraordinary amount of time fluting around the middle sector hand passing back and across the pitch and no idea how to set up on attack. Anton brought much needed drive in the 2nd half and Niall Mc as usual showed up excellent for the 25mins he was on and kicked good scores from frees and 1 from play. Offaly need him to stay on for another 2 years. Both simply must start against Carlow and the team needs to attack Carlow.
I'll be hammered if I name lads specifically but theres clearly starter(s) from today and the last day not up to intercounty football. An intercounty player should not be turned over 3 times in one game......it happened again today.
Management need to take a look at this during the week because Carlow will pack the defence like Derry did.
The quality we have in Offaly we should be putting Carlow away by 5 or 6pts next week but you'd have to worry after the last 2 outings.

Tullman
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Tullman »

Our starting 6 forwards never scored 1 point from play between them.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

very strange to see no player from ferbane featuring on the starting team today or last week? 2019 winners 2018 finalists and beaten on penos this year in semi? i dont like maughans style. hes great in interviews and talks a good game but i dont think hes advancing offaly football the way hes setting up.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

picking same 15 for most league games and getting beaten in most games. why aren’t niall mac and anton not starting games.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

biffinbanner wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 pm very strange to see no player from ferbane featuring on the starting team today or last week? 2019 winners 2018 finalists and beaten on penos this year in semi? i dont like maughans style. hes great in interviews and talks a good game but i dont think hes advancing offaly football the way hes setting up.
I agree on the latter bit.

On the Ferbane thing,
Cian Johnson is injured.
Joe Maher won’t be involved between the fact that he wouldn’t commit before Christmas one year, the bit where himself and O’Malley don’t get on and his two page spread in the Tribune about where he said he wasn’t asked in. Which wasn’t well received by a lot of people.
Oisín Kelly is with the hurlers.
Leon Fox is with the hurlers.
Jack Cullinan should arguably be in the shakeup for a place on the panel, but then again, he was on it at the start of the year.
Shane Nally is on the panel.

Who else from Ferbane should be involved? Being honest, nobody stands out, and at that, I wouldn’t necessarily have all those mentioned above on the panel. They’re just those already involved or the better footballers that Ferbane have.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Has not improved us one bit, I completely agree in that he sounds terrific in front of a mic or a camera.
We have simply not progressed.

The Ferbane thing is scandalous.

His reluctance to pick his best team and indeed panel is not acceptable.

I would hope a change in management very soon , even if it’s because of financial strains the CB will have going forward.

We will hammer Carlow next week then loose to Kildare .

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Awful fare today, though in fairness GAAGO sorted there stuff out so was able to stream without much hassle! That was about as good as it got sadly. While I can understand the defensive setup while playing against the wind, to score twice in a half of football is really not good enough. I heard Maughan talking afterwards where he was critical of the way that derry setup, saying they would be unlikely to win too many trophies playing that way, I wonder what he thinks we will win playing the way we did today. We lost just about every sector of the field, I'm not sure if i'm right in saying it but I don't think any of our players won there matchups. Derry were far more drilled, far more determined, far better conditioned. You could see the intent in every derry pass and a lot of there scores were the result of patient build up play, spotting the gap and then executing the finish. Conversely, we were so laboured in just about everything we tried. By the time we reached the derry 45, they had 15 men behind the ball. At this point we then proceeded to pass laterally for 20 or 30 seconds before being overturned. No penetration at all until Anton came on, I can't understand why he isn't starting. We might say that we are priming lads for championship but I really don't think offaly football is in such a place that we can be picking and choosing which games we turn up for. Every game is a must win in honesty, we need to build some confidence and now head into championship off the back of two losses against beatable teams. In fairness, we were just a kick of a ball away from getting something from both games but how many years are we saying that about Offaly? Carlow will pose us more problems than many will give them credit for given the way they set up and the fact that they have continuity through their last two managers.

Maughan, like last week, used the expression 'it is what it is' speaking to brian gavin after the game. This is pedantic but I hate hearing this, you may as well say 'sure look what can i do about it'. He sounds fed up. I think overall he's had a decent run at it but has probably suffered from the expectations that were set after last years loss to meath in leinster. On the Ferbane thing, its been covered already what the story is there. Johnson probably isn't at the pitch of it just yet but theres no doubt he has a very high ceiling and he should develop into a great player for us. I'd like to know what the story is with michael brazil, a player of his standard leaving the panel would have been mentioned somewhere so to see him not get any game time during the last two games is odd.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Tmacmahon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:22 pm Has not improved us one bit, I completely agree in that he sounds terrific in front of a mic or a camera.
We have simply not progressed.

The Ferbane thing is scandalous.

His reluctance to pick his best team and indeed panel is not acceptable.

I would hope a change in management very soon , even if it’s because of financial strains the CB will have going forward.

We will hammer Carlow next week then loose to Kildare .

i wouldn’t put the house on offaly hammering carlow next weekend not with the brand of football and players that we are playing. kildare though the same not long ago and left tullamore with their tail between their legs. any sort of win will do the job even a one point win.