DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Re: DIV 3 NFL predictions and general chit chat.

Post by mynamesjeff »

Tipp beat Laois the other day in a challenge by a few points. Not sure of the finer details.
They’ve a 37 man panel from what I read the other day.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Any word on the makeup of the Offaly panel?

Any new lads in?

Thought Aaron Leavy and Ruari Egan were very good during the SFC, would be well worth a look in.

Also noted on social media that there are quite a few of our top scorers in the sfc that aren’t on the intercounty panel, should be something management are looking to rectify.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

where does one start after all that went on since our last time discussing games..I dont know where offaly are at now, as such it almost the same as starting off a new league, so hopefully, we will have a bit of a buzz about us, I dont know though, and I am sure Tipp are in the same boat, I went for a Tipp win in original fixture, and will stay with that...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

here are my original predicitons so will stick with them for what its worth...not sure if some games were played on the Saturday before lockdown..

anyway, for what its worth, heres my take on this weekends Div 3 fixtures:
FL Division 3 round 6
Down v Leitrim, Pairc Esler, Sat 14th March 7pm -Down to win by 7/8 points one would think, Leitrim may have a spring in them after win last day.
Cork v Louth, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Sun 15th March 2pm - Cork will surely do the biz here, at home, and by 6/7 points
Derry v Longford, Celtic Park,Sun 1th March 2pm - Derry have home advantage, Longford have scored well in most games, hard to see them win here though.
Tipperary v Offaly, Semple Stadium, Sun 15th March 2pm - Offaly badly need a win to keep any chance alive while hoping for slip up in teams above them, very hard to see the slip ups happening, if Offaly can throw off the cautious shackles when they get within 20-30 yards of goal they would win this game, problem is I dont think they will do that. Great if Niall McNamee and Cian Johnson were to start at least and play maybe a full half and see how they go, but neither probably will. I am going for a Tipp win or even a draw.

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Post by mynamesjeff »

“Jack Bryant (Shamrocks), Cathal Donoghue (Kilcormac/Killoughey), Bill Carroll (Cappincur), Carl Stewart (Clara), Rory Egan (Edenderry) and Eoin Dunne (Edenderry) after they impressed him during the club Senior Football Championship while there are recalls for two players from intermediate clubs, Joey O'Connor (St Rynagh's) and Raheen's James Lawlor.”

Bobby Mitchell and PJ Daly have left the panel.
It was on Kevin Corrigan’s Twitter. Offaly Express website.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

some good players in there, a pity to see lads leaving, but then I suppose thats the nature of the thing, and in particular the times we are in, lads maybe cannot commit for one reason or another...will we beat Tipp??

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:32 pm here are my original predicitons so will stick with them for what its worth...not sure if some games were played on the Saturday before lockdown..

anyway, for what its worth, heres my take on this weekends Div 3 fixtures:
FL Division 3 round 6
Down v Leitrim, Pairc Esler, Sat 14th March 7pm -Down to win by 7/8 points one would think, Leitrim may have a spring in them after win last day.
Cork v Louth, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Sun 15th March 2pm - Cork will surely do the biz here, at home, and by 6/7 points
Derry v Longford, Celtic Park,Sun 1th March 2pm - Derry have home advantage, Longford have scored well in most games, hard to see them win here though.
Tipperary v Offaly, Semple Stadium, Sun 15th March 2pm - Offaly badly need a win to keep any chance alive while hoping for slip up in teams above them, very hard to see the slip ups happening, if Offaly can throw off the cautious shackles when they get within 20-30 yards of goal they would win this game, problem is I dont think they will do that. Great if Niall McNamee and Cian Johnson were to start at least and play maybe a full half and see how they go, but neither probably will. I am going for a Tipp win or even a draw.
I agree with you there FairPlay. If Offaly abandon caution, and go for it, they can win. I think Tipperary will win on Sunday. Offaly have been depending on the last round of the league to stay in Division 3 for the past 3 years. Time to go for promotion to Div 2.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Was it las year we robbed Sligo blind I think...yeah we need to kick on and throw a bit of caution to the wind, its all very well be cautious against bigger teams in the championship, but you need to believe you are a tad better than your Div 3 opponents and givei it a go, and try and get out of there, its all a bit stagnant, with strong teams (Armagh & Down) dropping down to to Div 3 and beating the likes of Offaly easily and moving back up to the higher Divisions, Offaly need to get the hell out of Division 3 now, how long are we in it at this stage, we were stuck there in the old Div3 North back in the early to mid 1990's but as bad as we were we were always towards the top of them tables back then, missing out by a point or so on promotion, maybe only loosing one game was fatal back then, now we are still in Div 3 but at the other end of the table...I forget the sums and it is late in the league, but isnt there an outside (outside) chance we could get promoted, but really we are playing to save our bacon in the division, and if we survive, another year in Div 3 and players like Niall Mcnamee etc. will surely say "enough" after this league...

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

We did a fair spell in Division 4 too!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 pm Was it las year we robbed Sligo blind I think...yeah we need to kick on and throw a bit of caution to the wind, its all very well be cautious against bigger teams in the championship, but you need to believe you are a tad better than your Div 3 opponents and givei it a go, and try and get out of there, its all a bit stagnant, with strong teams (Armagh & Down) dropping down to to Div 3 and beating the likes of Offaly easily and moving back up to the higher Divisions, Offaly need to get the hell out of Division 3 now, how long are we in it at this stage, we were stuck there in the old Div3 North back in the early to mid 1990's but as bad as we were we were always towards the top of them tables back then, missing out by a point or so on promotion, maybe only loosing one game was fatal back then, now we are still in Div 3 but at the other end of the table...I forget the sums and it is late in the league, but isnt there an outside (outside) chance we could get promoted, but really we are playing to save our bacon in the division, and if we survive, another year in Div 3 and players like Niall Mcnamee etc. will surely say "enough" after this league...
Offaly were a point up v Sligo in 2019, Sligo have a 45 at the close, but the ref blows time before the ball is kicked , relegating Sligo to Division 4.
We should be aiming for promotion, look at Longford, a smaller county, but they go out with a positive attitude, and are in the promotion hunt.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:40 pm We did a fair spell in Division 4 too!
indeed you are right, didnt we get it woeful hard to escape from there as well...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:03 pm
frankthetank wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:40 pm We did a fair spell in Division 4 too!
indeed you are right, didnt we get it woeful hard to escape from there as well...
Offaly were relegated to Division 4 in 1993-4. They failed to get promoted in the next two seasons before winning the Division in 1996-97.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

SearingDrive wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:19 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:13 pm Was it las year we robbed Sligo blind I think...yeah we need to kick on and throw a bit of caution to the wind, its all very well be cautious against bigger teams in the championship, but you need to believe you are a tad better than your Div 3 opponents and givei it a go, and try and get out of there, its all a bit stagnant, with strong teams (Armagh & Down) dropping down to to Div 3 and beating the likes of Offaly easily and moving back up to the higher Divisions, Offaly need to get the hell out of Division 3 now, how long are we in it at this stage, we were stuck there in the old Div3 North back in the early to mid 1990's but as bad as we were we were always towards the top of them tables back then, missing out by a point or so on promotion, maybe only loosing one game was fatal back then, now we are still in Div 3 but at the other end of the table...I forget the sums and it is late in the league, but isnt there an outside (outside) chance we could get promoted, but really we are playing to save our bacon in the division, and if we survive, another year in Div 3 and players like Niall Mcnamee etc. will surely say "enough" after this league...
Offaly were a point up v Sligo in 2019, Sligo have a 45 at the close, but the ref blows time before the ball is kicked , relegating Sligo to Division 4.
We should be aiming for promotion, look at Longford, a smaller county, but they go out with a positive attitude, and are in the promotion hunt.
Even better than that, Sligo were already relegated so the game would in theory have been a dead rubber for them.
It suggested to me that Offaly played like a team fearing relegation and fell over the line. The qualifier game a few months later that Offaly won well was a better reflection of the gap between the two teams.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm
Offaly were relegated to Division 4 in 1993-4. They failed to get promoted in the next two seasons before winning the Division in 1996-97.
Wasnt that it, didnt offaly win the league in 1998 from the lower division....have I that right..

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 am
Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Wasnt that it, didnt offaly win the league in 1998 from the lower division....have I that right..
Offaly did win the league in 1998, beating Derry in the final at Croke Park. Your initial point was the league game v Sligo in Collooney.