Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

Post by BiffoInThurso »

ah right, very good. If someone could let me know what edition of the paper it was in ill have a look, i have a digital subscription so will be able to have a read back through, thanks

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Its actually only mid Feb there gone I went back through the posts here as some posted "Joe is back" so it was in the tribune either the weekend before the 15th Feb last or the week after (before I think)...with this lockdown I was sure it was longer ago...

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Nope still can't see it! I checked all the tribune editions this side of xmas. Not to worry, be interesting to see if anyone else will get the call in. Looks like a good young batch coming up

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

ryot wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 pm I DONT BELIEVE THE VACCINE WILL HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS IN RELATION TO POSSIBLE FUTURE VIRUS====== Professor O'Neill might have educated answers to those fears.

We will develop antibodies which may in time help us fight it but so far only one person (in the USA) has been identified with sufficient antibodies. Most of us don't even have sufficient antibodies for the common cold or flu and have had both many times.

I will take the vaccine at the first opportunity (currently scheduled for 8th April)
I wouldn't take anything Luke O'Neill says too seriously. Everyone develops antibodies once exposed to a virus or bacteria. That's how our immune system works. And if we have a healthy immune system we will be not develop severe symptoms. In fact in the majority of cases we won't have any symptoms.

Vaccines, contrary to popular belief, do not boost our immune system. They may reduce inflammation etc but leave us wide open to the next virus that comes along. It would be interesting to see how many people developed severe cases of Covid after taking the flu vaccine. But that won't be researched by those with vested interests.

Lads, before ye take the vaccine could I ask ye to take a look at a video by Zach Bush called 'What Happened Last Year?' Or a podcast of him being interviewed on London Real. He's at the cutting edge of research which shows the vital role of bacteria and fungi in maintaining physical and mental health and viruses in our evolution.

Rover70
Junior C

Post by Rover70 »

First_touch how many people died of smallpox last year? Or in the last 45 years?

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Rover, the eradication of smallpox, as in the treatment of any disease, involved a complex set of measures. In this case it included increased hygiene, sanitation, isolation of infected persons and vaccination. It must be remembered that smallpox had a fatality rate of 30%. Vaccines were only given to people with symptoms and those who were exposed to those infected.

Compare that to what's happening now - the mass vaccination of mainly healthy people with unproven, experimental inoculations for a disease with a 99% survival rate. The smallpox vaccine caused fatalities. But at least it could be argued that it saved more lives than it caused deaths. Early results from Israel, the country with the highest Covid vaccination rate, appear alarming. But I will leave it up to people to do their own research as the mainstream media won't report anything that might question vaccine manufacturers and proponents.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Didn’t this forum begin as a discussion on Offaly football management, and panelists?
We have veered off the main point I think.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

That would be a fair point if there was football being played, or even panel training taking place. As GAA supporters we are entitled to question a policy that prevents playing of amateur games and denies young people the opportunity to engage in healthy activity.

Last year Offaly minor hurlers and footballers reached Leinster finals. A tremendous achievement. Is it going to be left at that? Is anybody asking will these guys ever get the chance of winning a Leinster (or All Ireland) medal? Does anyone care?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I normally pull people back to the topic but its no real harm if a topic skews off abit with another topic coming into play...just going back to the covid thing, theres a woman on liveline (not horror storys today unlike the last few weeks with Joe) but she is on about the public toilets (within reason) all locked up with the covid..I appreciate someone has to clean them and Covid is very real and dangerous especially in public areas, BUT, unfortunately some people are using the enclosed space outside public toilets where I go for a walk or a jog as a public toilet, and I am not talking number 1s either..It was so bad left totally un attended since last March 2000 until 2 weeks ago..OPW came with wet suits and power washers and lets just say I dint go walking or jogging over them days...within reason, such facilities need to be available be it 9-6pm even..lovely adds on the TV encouraging us to go and excercise is grand, and the majority of people will be ok until they get back home, some people will not, and the majority would probably avoid the public toilets anyway..but this locking them up lark..there are alot of things in this country with Covid that are exagerated restrictions..and I include the under agae GAA and other codes training in that..train only and keep it local...anyway..we await and see what 5th April brings...its easy know we have no TD at the top table in the Dail..our number are high Ime hearing from the meat plants in the county and bordering the county, but no decisisive action being taken as we are not relevant on the scale of things to the Ministers and politicans..big business in the ear of Government looks to be keeping Offaly open for business in the meat processing regard, the rest of us "get back indoors..quick!!" attitude applies...love or loathe Barry Cowen but if he was a Minister still, we wouldnt be left unaided as we are at the moment...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:05 pm I normally pull people back to the topic but its no real harm if a topic skews off abit with another topic coming into play...just going back to the covid thing, theres a woman on liveline (not horror storys today unlike the last few weeks with Joe) but she is on about the public toilets (within reason) all locked up with the covid..I appreciate someone has to clean them and Covid is very real and dangerous especially in public areas, BUT, unfortunately some people are using the enclosed space outside public toilets where I go for a walk or a jog as a public toilet, and I am talking about numbers 1 and 2 unfortunately!!..It was so bad left totally un attended since last March 2000 until 2 weeks ago..OPW came with wet suits and power washers and lets just say I dint go walking or jogging over them days...within reason, such facilities need to be available be it 9-6pm even..lovely adds on the TV encouraging us to go and excercise is grand, and the majority of people will be ok until they get back home, some people will not, and the majority would probably avoid the public toilets anyway..but this locking them up lark..there are alot of things in this country with Covid that are exagerated restrictions..and I include the under agae GAA and other codes training in that..train only and keep it local...anyway..we await and see what 5th April brings...its easy know we have no TD at the top table in the Dail..our number are high Ime hearing from the meat plants in the county and bordering the county, but no decisisive action being taken as we are not relevant on the scale of things to the Ministers and politicans..big business in the ear of Government looks to be keeping Offaly open for business in the meat processing regard, the rest of us "get back indoors..quick!!" attitude applies...love or loathe Barry Cowen but if he was a Minister still, he would be a Governent side voice for us at the moment..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

anyway, to pull us all back a little more football matters, does anyone think the league will get going at all..middle of March now...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:47 am anyway, to pull us all back a little more football matters, does anyone think the league will get going at all..middle of March now...
I think it would be better to park the league for this year, and run off the championships. We have a half promise of some bit of normality, including sporting activity will resume after 5th April, but with talk of a possible fourth wave, that may not happen. One welcome change would see the 5km rule changed. I can’t see the logic in that restriction. People are sick and tired of lockdown, and need a targeted easing of the lockdown rules.

To prepare for inter county activity, teams would need to commence training for about 4 to 6 weeks, which would see the leagues start in May, with a June or July championship start. Club games would start later in the year.
If Rugby can play matches, and LOI starting at the weekend, why are GAA games not permitted?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

and if LOI soccer can come back, surely schoolboys league can resume training at the very least...I think we will get 6/8 more weeks of lockdown co-operation after the 5th April if needs be, it will be a tough ask but I think people will adhere in general, there after, if the vaccine is not up an running as promised, they will loose the people me included...God help anyone with mental health issues, its so hard isn so called good health, they need to get their act together or they will lose the co-operation of the people, and its all very well saying "sure people will get sick then and possibly die"..I hear alot saying now they dont care anymore and that is a dangerous dangerous sign...and who can blame them, we are not all robots who can just park up for 18 months and do as we are told, while those telling us are at least getting to interact with various groups and bodies a part of their work (I dont envy them) but if you are after meeting or interacting with 10/20 people each day, its easy think everyone else can do as you say, you are not in the frame of mind of the person you are preaching to, whom havent seen or interacted with anyone properly in over a year...I dont think they understand how hard it is, how can they...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm and if LOI soccer can come back, surely schoolboys league can resume training at the very least and of course other sports too in a limited fashion..we are not asking for alot in that I think...I think we will get 6/8 more weeks of lockdown co-operation after the 5th April if needs be, it will be a tough ask but I think people will adhere in general, there after, if the vaccine is not up an running as promised, they will loose the people me included...God help anyone with mental health issues, its so hard for those even in so called good mental health, they need to get their act together or they will lose the co-operation of the people, and its all very well saying "sure people will get sick then and possibly die"..I hear alot saying now they dont care anymore and that is a dangerous dangerous sign...and who can blame them, we are not all robots who can just park up for 18 months and do as we are told, while those telling us are at least getting to interact with various groups and bodies a part of their work (I dont envy them) but if you are after meeting or interacting with 10/20 people each day, its easy think everyone else can do as you say, you are not in the frame of mind of the person you are preaching to, whom havent seen or interacted with anyone properly in over a year...I dont think they understand how hard it is, how can they...Ryan Tubridy and Ray Darcy for example will have guests on their shows telling us how tough it is now etc. for them, and then in the next breath they will tell us they met up with such and such a friend the other day for a coffee in such and such a shop (normally top end in Dublin) and social distanced of course etc. etc...they dont realise we havent even got a coffe shop opened in rural Ireland..its the filling station take away if you want a coffee out etc...these people are limited yes, but they have alot more on their doorsteps than the person in rural Ireland who sees no one from one end of the week to the other...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm and if LOI soccer can come back, surely schoolboys league can resume training at the very least...I think we will get 6/8 more weeks of lockdown co-operation after the 5th April if needs be, it will be a tough ask but I think people will adhere in general, there after, if the vaccine is not up an running as promised, they will loose the people me included...God help anyone with mental health issues, its so hard isn so called good health, they need to get their act together or they will lose the co-operation of the people, and its all very well saying "sure people will get sick then and possibly die"..I hear alot saying now they dont care anymore and that is a dangerous dangerous sign...and who can blame them, we are not all robots who can just park up for 18 months and do as we are told, while those telling us are at least getting to interact with various groups and bodies a part of their work (I dont envy them) but if you are after meeting or interacting with 10/20 people each day, its easy think everyone else can do as you say, you are not in the frame of mind of the person you are preaching to, whom havent seen or interacted with anyone properly in over a year...I dont think they understand how hard it is, how can they...
I can see an increase in mental health issues post lockdown. It’s not mentioned so far.
If sporting activity resumes, even without spectators, it will be a huge boost to people, and a break from the endless round of bad news/ drama on the media. I would like a knockout championship like last year, all on the day.