Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

Post by Tmacmahon »

'I hope he lets off the shackles and gives the best players their outings on a consistent basis and let us push on...I doubt that wil happen but I hope I am wrong..' I hope your right fairplay

but,

Mayo - Kevin O neill all satr 93 and close to getting one in 2006 each side of maughans mayo reign - i think they had a falout and he never played in 96 or 97 , would have been some addition

roscommon- curan, dolan, grehan and a few more - all their best players

it happened with us as well

now im sure all players whether mayo offaly or roscommon have questions to answer but its an unusual way to do things, unless he feels it instill disciple and in turn improves things which is fine . i can see his view piont then. i would however like to see the results coming from this method,

i do feel 2021 if it ever gets going can be kind to us, and hopefully nialler stays on for another year which i am sur ehe will, a little luck an we can make a few strides .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the NFL is our best chance of a few games and push for promotion, as things are looking its hard to see what can be played first if we ever do get back..the League would be a kind introduction for most teams...the championship is not going to get most lesser teams anywhere far..I cannot understand how Rugby and LOI soccer is back, yet young lads cant even train ONLY with their local GAA or soccer team..I think that is wrong, they are staying local, actual games will wait, young lads should be allowed train in a controlled enviroment with their peers...some people involved in making these decisions have children n Blackrock College and other private fee paying schools, playing rugby and what have you and they dont see the first hand (they know ok) but dont see how hard actually is for kids not to be allowed even train..but I suppose big business talks as usual in this country...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:45 pm the NFL is our best chance of a few games and push for promotion, as things are looking its hard to see what can be played first if we ever do get back..the League would be a kind introduction for most teams...the championship is not going to get most lesser teams anywhere far..I cannot understand how Rugby and LOI soccer is back, yet young lads cant even train ONLY with their local GAA or soccer team..I think that is wrong, they are staying local, actual games will wait, young lads should be allowed train in a controlled enviroment with their peers...some people involved in making these decisions have children n Blackrock College and other private fee paying schools, playing rugby and what have you and they dont see the first hand (they know ok) but dont see how hard actually is for kids not to be allowed even train..but I suppose big business talks as usual in this country...
I think Offaly should make promotion a definite target this year, up to now avoiding the drop was the norm. We need to get to a higher grade, with a few promising players on the panel.
We might see GAA activity in April, if the case numbers allow it. Offaly has the highest 14 day incidence presently.
Ronan Glynn deputy CMO, is a big follower of the GAA, particularly Galway. Tony Holohan is also a GAA supporter, I would love to see GAA activity resume at all levels, just for the pleasure of it, and a break from COVID news.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

It's a sad day when we are left clutching at straws like Holohan's liking for Gaelic football for the youth of this country to be 'allowed' to mix together and engage in a healthy activity like play sport.

We are worse as adults for going along with it.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

first_touch wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:09 am It's a sad day when we are left clutching at straws like Holohan's liking for Gaelic football for the youth of this country to be 'allowed' to mix together and engage in a healthy activity like play sport.

We are worse as adults for going along with it.
Is the alternative to ape the morons who demonstrated in Dublin last week. I am not clutching at straws, never did. My point is that until case numbers reduce further, lockdown will continue, despite everyone being totally fed up with restrictions.
I did say that I would love to see GAA games resume, maybe you missed that.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Jaysus don't poke the bear First Touch.

A riot in Offaly is the last thing we need...we have some serious high numbers now?

Them fuckers in Dublin should be done for treason, ridiculous! Targeting Gardai with fireworks.

I'd give out about the students in Limerick, but jaysus, it's hard on that age group.
Me, I'm glad I'm not being asked to go out, aul age is a terrible thing!

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

"It's easier to fool the people than to persuade them that they have been fooled" Mark Twain.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sur lookit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 pm Jaysus don't poke the bear First Touch.

A riot in Offaly is the last thing we need...we have some serious high numbers now?

Them fuckers in Dublin should be done for treason, ridiculous! Targeting Gardai with fireworks.

I'd give out about the students in Limerick, but jaysus, it's hard on that age group.
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:52 pm
Sur lookit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:56 pm Jaysus don't poke the bear First Touch.

I know we are gone way off topic but no harm I suppose airing our views in some guise..something serious amiss in Offaly, cases top of the country for the last 2 or 3 weeks, not a word about it (being continuously so high) in any briefings for news articles...I hope no big business is in the ear of Government keeping the port door open for bringing in workers of some description or other...allegedly one factory in Tullamore is allegedly rampant with Covid and still open fully..I seen the heading in the Midland Tribune last week and said "finally" someone is talking about it and when I read the article, a fellah drunk at the end of a bar would have said better, apparently we are not to worry about the high cases in Offaly as Offaly is not a densely populated county"...now tell me how Offaly differs from 21 or so other smaller counties in Ireland with a trickle of the cases Offaly have...that wasnt even an excuse it was a throw offy type "nothing to worrry about here move on " statement from what I read of it....and before the defenders jump on me we had similar high infection of foot and mouth too back in 2001 only to find out the man who brought the disease into the country lived and farmed in Offaly (Clareen) so we do have a precedent for the nod and the wink by the looks of it...I dont knock anybody who has enough of this lockdown, it is affecting everyone different, and what works for me and you will not work for everyone else and our tolerance thresholds are all different...we can all duck and keep going and continue to see awful effects on some peoples mental health...its a double edged sword in some instances...but we cannot keep going indeffinitely either just because "its the right thing to do"...people are at the end of their tethers now, and unfortunately alot of people mentally cannot stay going..and the red tape led EU vaccination "stroll out" as I call it needs to be upped..showing us file pictures every night of big empty (patient wise) vaccination centres with the same clip showing people "gettig ready" to vaccinate, and no vaccines to use wont wash for too much longer...it took Arlene Foster the leader of the DUP to poke the Irish Government over the weekend to get its ar*e in gear as the two parts of the Island were going to have different levels of vaccination as they hope to open up in the summer..RTE portrayed the story last night that she said the UK could share excess vacccines with us, that was the last part of her statement, the first and majority of the statement was we are too slow with roll out and she didt want a situation where one part of the Island was fully inoculated by summer and the other part wasnt (even half done by looks of it) ..we have a Taoiseach whos hands will soon fall off from throwing the shapes of what we will do in a few months time...nothing is "we will do this from today or tomorrow" buying time from what I and many see..It looks like if we are to get anything done pressure has to be brought by someone or someplace...we will be here until the cows come home looking at the current "stroll out"...

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for vaccines Fairplay. Apart from side effects they will leave people wide open to the next coronavirus or suchlike that comes along. This is what makes me worry will we ever see crowds at sporting venues again.

Quick fix solutions are not the answer. The really exciting medical and scientific discoveries are around the microbiome and it's links to health and immunity and also the key role that viruses play in helping us adapt to environmental changes. But the medical community and so called health experts are way behind the curve on this and the big pharma companies don't want to know cos they can't make megabucks from it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

and of course I share your very valid concerns, the problem is the here and now, people will not wait a few years for natural things to develop to offset this virus or any new ones, I dont know your age, nor you mine, but I hope I have another 30/40 if Ime lucky left to see..older people of course have a lesser window, and on the balance of probability the vaccines side effects will be non life altering for the majority, not being able to go football training with your kids, visit Grandparents if your lucky enough to have them (my kids havent) are we going to sit in behind the curtains for the next 3/4 years waiting for this to pass?...how will our (my) teenage children develop, I am lucky so far the kids are getting by, but it is soul destroying seeing them not able to meet their friends and develop as best they can in the normal circumstances..suicides are rampant among the adult population, before the pandemic let alone during it, how long before something like that filters down to our youth, whom are affected already unfortunately for some...if the vaccine helps open up a bit and the the rare serious side affects are few and far between..I will take that chance for myself and society as a whole...of course you are open to to your own oppinion, and the vaccine isnt going to fix everything overnight, but it is a great tool in the process..the problem is if you dont accept it, will you be let into venues etc...that is another day work says you...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:31 pm and of course I share your very valid concerns, the problem is the here and now, people will not wait a few years for natural things to develop to offset this virus or any new ones, I dont know your age, nor you mine, but I hope I have another 30/40 if Ime lucky left to see..older people of course have a lesser window, and on the balance of probability the vaccines side effects will be non life altering for the majority, not being able to go football training with your kids, visit Grandparents if your lucky enough to have them (my kids havent) are we going to sit in behind the curtains for the next 3/4 years waiting for this to pass?...how will our (my) teenage children develop, I am lucky so far the kids are getting by, but it is soul destroying seeing them not able to meet their friends and develop as best they can in the normal circumstances..suicides are rampant among the adult population, before the pandemic let alone during it, how long before something like that filters down to our youth, whom are affected already unfortunately for some...if the vaccine helps open up a bit and the the rare serious side affects are few and far between..I will take that chance for myself and society as a whole...of course you are open to to your own oppinion, and the vaccine isnt going to fix everything overnight, but it is a great tool in the process..the problem is if you dont accept it, will you be let into venues etc...that is another day work says you...
I will take the vaccine, whenever it becomes available. I could have a long wait though.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

I DONT BELIEVE THE VACCINE WILL HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS IN RELATION TO POSSIBLE FUTURE VIRUS====== Professor O'Neill might have educated answers to those fears.

We will develop antibodies which may in time help us fight it but so far only one person (in the USA) has been identified with sufficient antibodies. Most of us don't even have sufficient antibodies for the common cold or flu and have had both many times.

I will take the vaccine at the first opportunity (currently scheduled for 8th April)

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

where was it said that Maher is back in with the footballers? not seen it written in any local papers? Whats the source?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:19 am where was it said that Maher is back in with the footballers? not seen it written in any local papers? Whats the source?
It was on the Midland Tribune at the time, it was a comprehensive article on the both football and hurling squads...Im going to say just after Christmas it was announced, but cannot say for sure..it could have been just before hand...