Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

Post by Tmacmahon »

Can I ask, why are we shooting ourselves in the foot? Can egos and stubborness from all parties be put aside. Offaly football is bigger than any indivdual player or manager.
I think john maughan has done a very good job since his appiontment,and I have always liked him from afar, I know offaly only won 2 games out of maybe 13 last year( sligo and londan I could be wrong on that). but I felt we played well in most games and pusged meath all the way.
we could have won these games if the best players were playing . I want our best players on the field
The fact that Joe Mahar and Nigel Dunne are not on the Offaly senior football panel is beyond ridiculous.
I want to piont out that I genuinely do not care who is at fault,
I think Michael Duignan should enforce a clear the air meeting with all.
The bottom line is that both players are easily in the top 30 players in our county.
From what I hear Joe and gerry o Malley had some disagreemnet when the latter was over us.
The Nigel dunne situation is well documented.
Joe mahar was outstanding for ferbane this year, he is a player who at 27 is in his prime and scores freely
Nigel Dunne is easily in the top 3 players in the county. every game whether he plays good or bad id say he score about 6 pts.
Im passionate about this because i think we have the makings of a good side
The two young cians are such classy footballers, and should take to this level like a duck to water.
young johnson is such a talent and free spirit we should encourage his audacity. he will be our lynchpin for a decade .
any word on paul mcconway and niall mcnamee? are both injured at present...

NewEra
County player

Re: Maughan & O' Malley / Dunne & Maher

Post by NewEra »

Nigel Dunne was announced manager of Erin Rovers for 2020 so I imagine county commitment is not feasible for him now. I agree on Joe Maher, I think he would be a great addition in terms of ability.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Are you sure its him? Hes only 29 :shock: well id imagine he took on that role because he was not asked back in, surely at 29 thats the only logical explanation. id say if asked he would go in.
The same with Joe rumoured to be going travelling.
id say the both of them went these routes when it was clear 2020 intercount ball was not a possability.
Now maybe the 2 guys were asked. I dont know. but Ive heard ( from a good source) that they were not.
so I am open to correction.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Did Nigel Dunne not fall out with two different mgt teams?. I think his ship has sailed.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

He probably did , I can only assume he did. I always here that around the town as well about Joe, ‘ he falls out with everyone ‘
But my argument is that I worked a good while back with the biggest b***ix of a car salesmen.
He fell out with the whole place on s weekly basis.
He was still part of the team, still very much wanted because we all benefited from him.
He performed, he was our best salesman.
I’d prefer the best players in there . Good managers deal with problem players .
Dunne although moody is sublimely talented,
Maher may not get on with everyone but along with CJ dragged Ferbane to a senior championship.
If his ship has sailed, about 8 of the forwards on that panel ship has sank.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tmacmahon wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:12 pm He probably did , I can only assume he did. I always here that around the town as well about Joe, ‘ he falls out with everyone ‘
But my argument is that I worked a good while back with the biggest b***ix of a car salesmen.
He fell out with the whole place on s weekly basis.
He was still part of the team, still very much wanted because we all benefited from him.
He performed, he was our best salesman.
I’d prefer the best players in there . Good managers deal with problem players .
Dunne although moody is sublimely talented,
Maher may not get on with everyone but along with CJ dragged Ferbane to a senior championship.
If his ship has sailed, about 8 of the forwards on that panel ship has sank.
Nigel Dunne left the Offaly panel of his own accord last February. I believe he is managing Erin's Rovers, a neighbouring club, and one his father played for.
John Maughan is the Offaly manager, and it is his call who is on the panel, players who will give the necessary commitment.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

That’s a fair point and well summarized .

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

-
Last edited by FerbaneInsider on Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I dont think theres any major loss.

We are not talking about players that will really dig in when its needed in a battle

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

I don’t know what your metrics for measuring if they would dig a team out.
Think that is inaccurate.
Both as I stated earlier, all that matters is Offaly.
2 wins from 2 with big scores, Which is brilliant to see.
Maughan has them moving well .
I definitely stand by my original point however I take on board some mitigating factors.
Especially Nigel Dunne, who perhaps I throw a blind eye too because I believe he’s so talented. he did leave himself and wasn’t dropped or anything.
If I phrased it another way and said pick the best 6 forwards in Offaly, just on their ability . Dunne would be 1 . I think that’s why I do be annoyed. Maybe it is his own fault. I’m just giving my view on it.
Look it’s all about Offaly
Bring on the league
Cork away isn’t a bad start imo

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Tmacmahon wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm I don’t know what your metrics for measuring if they would dig a team out.
Think that is inaccurate.
Both as I stated earlier, all that matters is Offaly.
2 wins from 2 with big scores, Which is brilliant to see.
Maughan has them moving well .
I definitely stand by my original point however I take on board some mitigating factors.
Especially Nigel Dunne, who perhaps I throw a blind eye too because I believe he’s so talented. he did leave himself and wasn’t dropped or anything.
If I phrased it another way and said pick the best 6 forwards in Offaly, just on their ability . Dunne would be 1 . I think that’s why I do be annoyed. Maybe it is his own fault. I’m just giving my view on it.
Look it’s all about Offaly
Bring on the league
Cork away isn’t a bad start imo
Ah here, are you taking the mick or drunk.

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

you make no sense in terms of the statement lads digging in when a team needs it.

hayes, sullivan,mangan,allen ,tierney,ruiari mcnamee, etc etc
have never dug offaly from anything EVER in the classic sense of pulling a team through a game by sheer force of will and ultimitelty performance. I 'm not saying dunne or Maher have either, by the way
Nialler - contantly has dragged rhode and offaly out of bad situations, especially rhode
CJ - county final shows he will be that guy

i hope Niall and CJ can form our inside line this summer. a mixture of everything between the two guys

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

re Dunne & Maher:::::::::

Of course I would love to see both committed to Offaly...

over recent months have these lads indicated an interest in joining the extended panel and doing the hard training/gym work and living the life of committed County Players...…………..

Other lads have been doing that for almost 2 months now and there is no point in a lad putting his name forward in a few months time...…..

I imagine they both have John Maughan's phone number if they want in...…… or they can get the number from some of the panel...…….

Tmacmahon
All Star

Post by Tmacmahon »

Here Here Ryot. I agree.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Tmacmahon wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:42 am you make no sense in terms of the statement lads digging in when a team needs it.

hayes, sullivan,mangan,allen ,tierney,ruiari mcnamee, etc etc
have never dug offaly from anything EVER in the classic sense of pulling a team through a game by sheer force of will and ultimitelty performance. I 'm not saying dunne or Maher have either, by the way
Nialler - contantly has dragged rhode and offaly out of bad situations, especially rhode
CJ - county final shows he will be that guy

i hope Niall and CJ can form our inside line this summer. a mixture of everything between the two guys

just on your point of players contantly dragging offaly out of bad situations , not running him down but should you give me 3 games or more over the last 8 to ten years that Nialler as you say pulled us through because for the life of me i can’t remember them. seen many over the last few that he went AWOL in. and yes Joe maher and Nigel dunne would make offaly alot stronger .