Kehoe Cup 2019/2020, NHL 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: Kehoe Cup 2019/2020

Post by Hasselhoff »

I think we should leave Shane Dooley where he is . What age is he now. Time to look and build a team for the future. However, we must get out of the christy ring cup this year.

DoingUntold
Senior
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by DoingUntold »

kaiserchief wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 pm
greenairfield wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:06 pm I think there is a few vital points you could make from watching Offaly in there two games.
With everyone back and the best 15 on the field we should be fairly formidable at this level but I think it will be very hard to say we have made progress or anything like that because realistically we should be dominating at against these teams.
What you would like to see is consistency in performance and some sort of a settled team come the end of the year.
Thomas Spain wasnt called in this year as far as I'm aware.
Bergin is available, I would imagine Kevin Dunne will go back in if called upon, I would like to see Sean Coughlan go in also but never really seemed to have the commitment that is required but that's fair enough.

Is Shane Kinsella in this year or is he injured? Also, Paddy Murphy, Colin Egan?

I know Conor Mahon hasn't committed this yet also, in fairness around a long time too and probably needs a break as a lot of miles on the clock too.

I agree and think that a more settled 15 will happen throughout the league. Management using Kehoe cup to decide on the panel. They beat UL is a challenge game last week which is also a good boost. Need to get back winning first and then winning comfortably.

Wonder if there is many players who will be on the panel but haven't played. Shane Dooley is the only one I can think of.Is Joe Bergin available? Where is Thomas Spain? Is there anyone else?

DoingUntold
Senior

Post by DoingUntold »

Thomas Spain wasnt called in this year as far as I'm aware.
Bergin is available, I would imagine Kevin Dunne will go back in if called upon, I would like to see Sean Coughlan go in also but never really seemed to have the commitment that is required but that's fair enough.

Is Shane Kinsella in this year or is he injured? Also, Paddy Murphy, Colin Egan?

I know Conor Mahon hasn't committed this yet also, in fairness around a long time too and probably needs a break as a lot of miles on the clock too

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Agree re Sean Coughlan - a strong hard hurler that should be there last 5 or 6 years.

Is Sean Gardiner playing at all or is he in there. Definitely one of the best in the county if fit, in his prime and should be in there. Ditto Chris McDonnell and Paddy Murphy who are also in their prime - havent seen either name on a panel yet?

If Tom Spain has not been called in, its a poor reflection on management in my opinion. Huge talent and coming from Inter club who has done well at co level. Heard he is possibly making a transfer to KK? Is that correct?

That said, David Kenny would or at least should know the best lads in the county and would / should definitely be able to get the best fellas in. Heard that Oisin Kelly is toying with prospect of being involved with Footballers this year but not sure if true - obviously not surprising given that Christy Ring hurling is the level we are currently at in hurling.
jimbob

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

jimbob17 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:07 pm Agree re Sean Coughlan - a strong hard hurler that should be there last 5 or 6 years.

Is Sean Gardiner playing at all or is he in there. Definitely one of the best in the county if fit, in his prime and should be in there. Ditto Chris McDonnell and Paddy Murphy who are also in their prime - havent seen either name on a panel yet?

If Tom Spain has not been called in, its a poor reflection on management in my opinion. Huge talent and coming from Inter club who has done well at co level. Heard he is possibly making a transfer to KK? Is that correct?

That said, David Kenny would or at least should know the best lads in the county and would / should definitely be able to get the best fellas in. Heard that Oisin Kelly is toying with prospect of being involved with Footballers this year but not sure if true - obviously not surprising given that Christy Ring hurling is the level we are currently at in hurling.
Gardiner sustained an unpleasant knee injury last year I believe. Don’t think he hurled this year due to it.

The Tom Spain to KK rumour was out last year, so I don’t know. Did he play for either Erin Rovers or Brosna Gaels this year does anyone know?
Good Luck

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tom Spain played at least one game for brosna gaels

DoingUntold
Senior

Post by DoingUntold »

Massive score put up.
Big score conceded.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Final vs Antrim will be the first indicator for this offaly team to where they are at. I expect similar scoreline when offaly play in christy ring. They'll hammer all around them. I also expect offaly to lose vs Antrim.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

strange game hard to make anything out of it. over as a contest after about 5 minutes when offaly went 2-2 to a point up. 8-18 and alot of wides .the only thing mick fennelly will be concern about is the amount of scores offaly are giving away 3-18 today and a big score again Down as well. its eary and alot of changes again today from the Down game .

standout players today watkins and micheal cleary backs , Oisin kelly 4 goals ,sean cleary and liam langton . good to see Kevin Dunne back done well when he came on . Antrim in the final now i think .

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

When and where will the final be played.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Couldn't be in two places at once today actually it would have been 3 places!! However, is anyone else concerned by the big scores being conceded? How did Meath put 3-18 up today? Yes the boys are doing the business down the other end but what happens when they don't? The pressure is on to GET the fuck out of these divisions and start playing teams at a higher level. POTH mentioned after relegation from the top flight in 2018 that the speed of the game was the biggest issue facing Offaly at the lower levels......he was right, it will be all to easy to get dragged down to this level but I suspect Fennelly knows this. As I've said before the team must prepare at 100mph regardless of the opposition. Speed of skill happens outside the live matches and one hopes thats being done to death.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Navan, Sunday, 2PM.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I heard on the radio on the weekend that it was Offaly's decision to drop to the Kehoe Cup for 2020, rather than it being forced upon them based on results, which I had just assumed was the situation. Interesting decision.

On the one hand it gives players a chance to get at least a couple of wins under their belts and some breathing room for mgnt to get to know players under little or no pressure for their first few games. The opposition is mainly the standard that Offaly will face in their 2 main competitions this year - league 2a and Christy Ring, so it makes sense to play against them teams.

On the other hand, this was our only opportunity this year to get some competitive game time against teams from the higher levels. Yes, it would have probably meant a beating or two, which would start the year on a negative but would it have helped the new mgnt team get a better sense of the real abilities of the players when asked to hurl up a level? Offaly's first meaningful game of the year will come against Kerry in the second round of the league. The next round out is against Antrim. Those 2 games will dictate the league and whether it is a success or not.

I genuinely don't know the answer as to what is the best approach. Based on how last year went, maybe the decision that was taken was seen as the most logical.

The obvious goal this year is to get back to Joe Mc Donagh for next year. That is seen as vital. Would it be the end of the world if we didn't get out of 2a? It would definitely mean that our preparation for 2021 would mean a league campaign competing against teams of equal or less standard. However, that might be better than going back to D1 again and getting heavy beatings in prep for next year's Championship.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Better for offaly to win games. Need to win games regardless of opposition. Need to build confidence.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It was a good weekend for Offaly GAA. Wins for senior footballers, senior hurlers, and U 20 footballers. 3 out of 3.