Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

NewEra
County player

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by NewEra »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 pm I could be wrong lads but I thought last December that Michael Duignan was elected as chairman of Offaly GAA.
You can't open a paper, switch on the TV or radio lately without him commenting on or being interviewed about all things relating to the national GAA scene. I see his auld buddy Donal Og taking swipes at him again now as well.
Did he give up the Offaly gig already does anyone know?
If so who is running Offaly GAA now?
Leave him off, still sulking over the change from the old guard

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

It's 8 days away from the start of the local championships and there still appears to be no information out there about how Offaly County Board intend to manage the situation. Attendances are limited to 200 per game. Players, management, officials etc are included as part of the 200 so that leaves about 120 patrons through the gates max.
Have we 120+ season ticket holders? Will they get priority or can you rock up early with your greasy tenner and get in? Will all games be all ticket?
Other county boards have this all planned out and ticketing systems in place already. We don't.
Last year a professional streaming service was in place (not just a lad roaring into a shaky camera) and offered great value. This year the CB can actually make real money from a service like this but again there appears to be no concrete details of it yet. 50 quid for access for the whole season would see hundreds sign up. The point I'm making is that our chairman seems distracted by other things rather than concentrating 100% getting our own house in order.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

BB can I just state the level of thickness were dealing with when it comes to you going by that comment.

It was announced last night and only last night that attendance would stay at 200.(god forbid these guys couldn't meet up lat night shame on them)

This is changing from day to day I am sure the CB will come up with a fair way of the matches been attended by supporters even though it will be difficult, on a side note considering everything that happened this year the change has been positive and it is great the old guard is gone.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:23 pm BB can I just state the level of thickness were dealing with when it comes to you going by that comment.
You can and you just did.
greenairfield wrote:
shame on them
Totally agree.
greenairfield wrote:
on a side note considering everything that happened this year the change has been positive and it is great the old guard is gone.
This isn't really "a side note".

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

An important regulation to note is that the GAA forbid any county from streaming games if TG4 or RTE or showing a live game at the same time.

As a result we may have slight tweaks to the throw in times of some fixtures.

Going by the 200 figure I would say you would be looking at clubs getting 50 tickets each max for their supporters for fixtures.

Also, how in the name of God is this going to be policed at the lower grades with home and away championship fixtures? I doubt club officials are going to turn away their neighbours if they rock up to a watch a Junior championship game.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

And would you believe it the restrictions on when you can live stream a game have this evening been lifted by Croke Park.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think the criticism of Michael Duignan of his work with the media of late makes no sense!! He used his reputation as a pundit as well as a County board chairman to go on off the ball and highlight a few glaring issues with the GAA’s handling of county teams training/ not training since lockdown ended!!
He also raised the issue around the disparity in funding from the gaa and how something needs to be done to address that, which is very relevant when u see the type of money being pumped into other counties to train senior county teams.
I think the fact that a number of media outlets picked up on what he said on The Off the ball show probably makes it look like he did 50 interviews, but they all just seemed to rehash the same story from what I could tell!!
There isn’t any point hammering the county board this year for what they are or are not doing as it’s unprecedented times & every decision that is made is criticised by someone else!!
200 to an Offaly championship group game would be a great crowd before Covid, and by the time county semi finals and finals run around there will be more directive as to who can and can not attend!!
The streaming decision to be banned when there is a game on TG4 is very strange as that’s prime time Sunday viewing time when u’d expect that most big club matches would be on!!
The Untouchable

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

3 live games from the SFC being streamed this weekend. €5 per game. Great value. Fair play to all involved.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:40 am 3 live games from the SFC being streamed this weekend. €5 per game. Great value. Fair play to all involved.
Excellent value, can't argue with that.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I just want to say well done to our current county board on their response to the many challenges Coronavirus has placed in front of them.

All issues were dealt with promptly, decisively and in particular (and this is stark contrast to the last number of years) transparently. The fixtures situation must have been a nightmare situation and especially since our localised lockdown. To have clarity on the fixture issue is a huge help to so many people.

Well done to all and credit where it's due.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Don't want this to turn into I told you so.....

However, irrespective of who you voted for, there has been a a bit of a positive shift in the fortunes of Offaly GAA in the last 2 years. Two minor teams have reached Leinster finals and now 2 senior teams are promoted and competing at higher level next year than we have in a while.

So that is kudos to management and players and little to do with co board?

I don't quite see it that way. The board decides who manages the teams and how well resourced the teams are. Having properly resourced teams means that players buy in and this fosters a positive vibe around a group. It is clear that there is a strong sense of purpose among both senior squads currently and this I feel is a result of the county board backing their managers with the resources required. There are then less walk offs and or discontent among players because players are happier and will give more to cause because they feel they are being treated properly.

Just seeing the positivity and energy around both teams at moment is cause for optimism and this is in no small part to the efforts made at board level to ensure that our players are given the platform and support so that they can make the most of themselves.

Well done to all involved.
jimbob

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

A few points.
We are coming from a low base. The only way is up particularly in hurling.
Division 2 football is a great achievement.

Minor success could be attributed to the structures of the previous regime. Personally, I think development squads should increase the number of training sessions during the winter so lads can strengthen up properly during the off season.

The management teams of Maughan and fennelly were in place before the present county board were in place.

The jury is still out on the present county board. Due to the covid they haven't really had a full chance to develop things.

New GDA s in clubs is good but that is down more to leinster gaa and funding from individual clubs.
I am disappointed that there is not a full time GDA in each post primary school as this is where I believe we could really benefit from their input. A GDA with a professional attitude and skills in each post primary school could really develop skills and strength and conditioning and develop a culture of success in the school.

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:01 pm A few points.
We are coming from a low base. The only way is up particularly in hurling.
Division 2 football is a great achievement.

Minor success could be attributed to the structures of the previous regime. Personally, I think development squads should increase the number of training sessions during the winter so lads can strengthen up properly during the off season.

The management teams of Maughan and fennelly were in place before the present county board were in place.

The jury is still out on the present county board. Due to the covid they haven't really had a full chance to develop things.

New GDA s in clubs is good but that is down more to leinster gaa and funding from individual clubs.
I am disappointed that there is not a full time GDA in each post primary school as this is where I believe we could really benefit from their input. A GDA with a professional attitude and skills in each post primary school could really develop skills and strength and conditioning and develop a culture of success in the school.
anybody with a brain would know and realise that the transformation that Michael Duignan has made to Offaly GAA since been appointed chairman is staggering. He has united the whole county, went about things in a very professional way and in return he has been able to attract people like Shane Lowry, Leinster GAA and others to invest financially in the long term development of Offaly GAA.