Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by Bord na Mona man »

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I did not personally abuse anyone..just made reference to to a pool of opinions on here who have always backed the county board yourself included.
You were at the same political crap when people were calling for Bolands head.

Change is needed If you want to keep eveyone happy and wont say who you want as chair it's not surprising really-but I know who you want.

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

Leave Lone Shark alone - he is able to give us his opinion in the offaly independent with no proof to back it up but can't offer one on this topic without been informed.
Hard to listen to people who make or have made a career from a horrible and corrupt industry anyway.

The county Board clutching at strays with a response like that on the website. JT should no better though and may have swayed this back in tb favour.

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

Quote from Tommy Byrne in Midland Tribune
" There is a lot of talk about strategic plans and those things are important but it is airy fairy stuff. A Strategic plan is grand if you can implement it but we have two strategic plans in football and hurling which we are implementing"

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

I think its rich for Duignan team to stand on all or Notting basis. What the difference between the current cb and Duignans team full of his hand picked ' yes men'.

I all for change but positive change.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If this county has one last lifeline its Duignan getting in..things could be a whole lot different.
If Byrne gets back in it's the final nail in the coffin.

The difference in the two interviews on what vision they have was frightening!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm I did not personally abuse anyone..just made reference to to a pool of opinions on here who have always backed the county board yourself included.
You were at the same political crap when people were calling for Bolands head.
greenairfield wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:50 pm If Mr.Byrne and his buddies do get in again I suppose the only bright side of it is I can say I told you so in 5 years or 10 years time...pack of uneducated monkeys!
At best, it's ambiguous what you meant there. Now I'm obviously not going to tell you what was in your head when you wrote it, but to me it sounded like a pretty clear insult to existing volunteers.

I find the "no, I intended to insult people on this forum" defence an odd one, but if that's your line, so be it. I ain't descending to that level, as far as I'm concerned this is a disagreement about a topic, and I've no intention of getting personal with someone that could be 80 years of age, or still be in school for all I know.
greenairfield wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:42 pm Change is needed If you want to keep eveyone happy and wont say who you want as chair it's not surprising really-but I know who you want.
I just said that I'm not going to be so arrogant as to try and tell you what's going on in your own head, please do me the same courtesy.

And no, I'm not going to put into the public domain what I want. I deliberately framed my pieces for the Offaly Independent entirely around the quotes, so that people could judge for themselves based on what the two candidates said. Given what happened in response to the Tullamore Tribune interview with Tommy Byrne, I'm not sorry I took that approach. If someone wants to PM me and ask my opinion, I'll happily share it, but as far as I'm concerned my role in this situation is to try and delve into the candidates' views and relate them accurately - not to tell people what to think.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Can i ask a question regarding the Byrne vs Duignan debate. I know each club gets a vote but who actually decides, i assume it is the secretary but do they go back to their club and and decide or how does it go. What i am getting at here is like the All Ireland B as we could call it and the people voting versus the players and the conflict that could occur.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Buttons wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm Can i ask a question regarding the Byrne vs Duignan debate. I know each club gets a vote but who actually decides, i assume it is the secretary but do they go back to their club and and decide or how does it go. What i am getting at here is like the All Ireland B as we could call it and the people voting versus the players and the conflict that could occur.
This is a big bugbear of mine, though I suspect it won't be as much of an issue at convention as it would be at an ordinary county board meeting.

IN THEORY, what happens is that every club's committee will sit down and will go through all the votes that are to take place at convention, and they will establish the club's position on each one, and the delegates that go to attend convention will vote according to that. However there is no way of knowing that, and if a club delegate decide to vote against their mandate, no-one would ever be able to prove it. Moreover, not every club will diligently sit down and go through all the issues properly, so in some cases, the delegates may either decide as a group there and then what they're going to do, or they'll each choose their own path. You'd imagine however that for something as important as this, particularly since the Duignan camp have gone to the bother of going around to meet all the clubs, that won't happen here.

In general, there is an issue with a club's selected county board delegates not fulfilling their appointed duty - i.e. to serve as a channel of communication from CB to club. There are far too many CB delegates who go to county board meetings for a chat with old friends, and they happily absorb the business at hand but don't take an interest unless it directly affects their club, and certainly they don't prepare detailed reports to bring back to their next club meeting. Worse still, there are instances where delegates feel that by being appointed, they have been given a clean slate to vote as they wish and speak as they wish on all topics. So for argument's sake, if I was a Ferbane delegate, I might go to a county board meeting and spend my time speaking my mind, and voting as I see fit, rather than as the Ferbane club committee would want me to do.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Lone Shark wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:25 pm
Buttons wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm Can i ask a question regarding the Byrne vs Duignan debate. I know each club gets a vote but who actually decides, i assume it is the secretary but do they go back to their club and and decide or how does it go. What i am getting at here is like the All Ireland B as we could call it and the people voting versus the players and the conflict that could occur.
This is a big bugbear of mine, though I suspect it won't be as much of an issue at convention as it would be at an ordinary county board meeting.

IN THEORY, what happens is that every club's committee will sit down and will go through all the votes that are to take place at convention, and they will establish the club's position on each one, and the delegates that go to attend convention will vote according to that. However there is no way of knowing that, and if a club delegate decide to vote against their mandate, no-one would ever be able to prove it. Moreover, not every club will diligently sit down and go through all the issues properly, so in some cases, the delegates may either decide as a group there and then what they're going to do, or they'll each choose their own path. You'd imagine however that for something as important as this, particularly since the Duignan camp have gone to the bother of going around to meet all the clubs, that won't happen here.

In general, there is an issue with a club's selected county board delegates not fulfilling their appointed duty - i.e. to serve as a channel of communication from CB to club. There are far too many CB delegates who go to county board meetings for a chat with old friends, and they happily absorb the business at hand but don't take an interest unless it directly affects their club, and certainly they don't prepare detailed reports to bring back to their next club meeting. Worse still, there are instances where delegates feel that by being appointed, they have been given a clean slate to vote as they wish and speak as they wish on all topics. So for argument's sake, if I was a Ferbane delegate, I might go to a county board meeting and spend my time speaking my mind, and voting as I see fit, rather than as the Ferbane club committee would want me to do.
This is what i was thinking myself, it depends a lot on the clubs delegates and who they get on with, either Byrne or Duignan. As you stated it might not be what the club wants in though.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Most clubs on the night will have three votes each if they manage to get three delegates to go and the top table one each. See my earlier post on the break down of the votes.

I think it's 141 votes overall.
I know some clubs have mandated their delegates to vote in a certain way but on the night its the people with the pen and paper on the night who have the power and the vote. I took it for granted that the ballot was a secret ballot but I wonder on the night could it be by open ballot. That would put the cat among the pigeons and lads would see where the votes were then

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hasselhoff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:05 am Most clubs on the night will have three votes each if they manage to get three delegates to go and the top table one each. See my earlier post on the break down of the votes.

I think it's 141 votes overall.
I know some clubs have mandated their delegates to vote in a certain way but on the night its the people with the pen and paper on the night who have the power and the vote. I took it for granted that the ballot was a secret ballot but I wonder on the night could it be by open ballot. That would put the cat among the pigeons and lads would see where the votes were then
I really hope it's not open ballot. Then you move into the area of delegates voting, not for who they think is the best candidate, but for who they think will be the winning candidate. All in the hope of getting a few crumbs of favours thrown their way at a later time.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Absolutely agree.

But can am open ballot be called under the rules and bye laws

Edit I just checked the rules. Under gaa rule book 1 elections must be by secret ballot and via pr system.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I should have done this first - I just checked the official guide there.
Rule 3.11 (f) - Voting to fill the Elective positions specified above shall be by secret ballot and on the basis of the
Proportional Representation system.
That seems pretty clear cut.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Hasselhoff wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 am Absolutely agree.

But can am open ballot be called under the rules and bye laws

Edit I just checked the rules. Under gaa rule book 1 elections must be by secret ballot and via pr system.
Beat me to it... :D