Byrne v Duignan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Next County Board Chairman?

Tommy Byrne
54%
Michael Duignan
46%

Total votes: 41

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Byrne v Duignan

Post by greenairfield »

I did not realise a certain club man of my own was still on the county board....who said we had made improvements at CB level? :roll: :roll:

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

kingscounty wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:20 am
LooseCannon wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:54 am If you look at the county board management committee for 2019.
Tommy Byrne (Gracefield-Dual) Chairperson
Niall Gleeson (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Vice Chairperson
Pat Horan (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Secretary
Pauric Pierce (Raheen-Football) Assistant Secretary (fixtures)
Jimmy Hogan (Birr-Dual) Treasurer
Brian Flynn (Ferbane-Football) Assistant Treasurer
Mary Dunne (Ballyfore-Football) PRO
Paddy Scales (St Rynagh’s Hurling-Hurling) Central Council Delegate
Dolores Slevin (Kilcormac/Killoughey-Dual) Leinster Council Delegate
Joe Higgins (Tubber-Football) Leinster Council Delegate
James Murphy (Rhode-Football) Development Officer
Nora Kavanagh (Tullamore-Dual) Childern’s Officer
John Maloney (Tullamore-Dual) Cultural Officer
Martin Cashen (Carrig & Riverstown-Hurling) Coaching Officer
Ger Maher (Shinrone-Hurling) Coiste na nÓg Chairperson

Breakdown of clubs:
Dual: 6
Football only: 5
Hurling only: 4

The idea that it’s a football orientated board is kinda farcical. Pretty balanced actually. That being said, it’d be great if the people were from a greater spread of clubs, but it’s fairly balanced between the two codes.
I wasn’t referring to the county board my good man I was referring to the committee in Edenderry as to having all football orientated members on the committee, that’s not farcical at all!
Apologies. A mixture of tiredness and Halloween!
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 pm Lone shark I did not lambast him once in that post I have to give it to you your a great man to put words in other peoples mouth.
Your first line was...
Okay so I wont give you all the negatives on why Tommy is not the man to take us forward I think anyone with any brains would realise he is not.
Anyway, on to the substance of the matter.
greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:04 pm Duignan is a phenomenal fundraiser, someone who is phenomenal fundraiser is a hard worker,organised, good with people and usually works of a structure...all traits which would be so valuable to a good county board chairman.

For that reason along with the progress in the B/D club hurling scene because of him and couple of others hes a stand out candidate for me.
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. This is what I was looking for in the first place - I'm not convinced that a good fundraiser needs to be the CB chairman, but at least now you're getting into reasons why MD is the right man, as opposed to (in your opinion) Tommy being the wrong man, and literally anyone else being better.

Again I will stress that until I talk to MD for the paper, and he's suggested to me that he will be happy to do that later this month, I'll reserve my personal judgement. Obviously TB will be given the same chance, the same space, and the same talking points. For now, I'll just say again that I'm delighted there's a contest. Not that it matters hugely in that my club membership is here in Roscommon now, so my viewpoint is hardly that relevant.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

offalyman08 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am They've started from scratch but there are actually 3 underage hurling teams in Edenderry in 2019 & you'd have to imagine that should grow to at least 4-5 next year. Someone suggested here a while back that this was done in order to get money but refused to clarify the comment. I've never heard of the county board paying clubs to enter teams but perhaps that is a new rule I'm not familiar with. I always thought you actually paid the county board to enter a team....

It may not please everyone, especially does intent on being negative, but you have to start somewhere. From the outside looking in, similar to Offaly hurling, this problem didn't start in the last 5 or 6 years. Hurling must have been neglected going back over the last 20 years.

With the addition of teams from St Broughan's and St Vincent's (7 clubs in total huge population) there's no reason why hurling shouldn't grow in North Offaly. Unless the "we've no tradition of hurling" brigade start piping up again trying to cover up their own clubs flaws.
Well considering Bracknagh Boy is so concerned with the plight of Offaly hurling in North Offaly surely he could start a parish team for St Broughans? Like in fairness he'd have three clubs to pull out of to get it going. Numbers shouldn't be an issue.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:27 pm
offalyman08 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am They've started from scratch but there are actually 3 underage hurling teams in Edenderry in 2019 & you'd have to imagine that should grow to at least 4-5 next year. Someone suggested here a while back that this was done in order to get money but refused to clarify the comment. I've never heard of the county board paying clubs to enter teams but perhaps that is a new rule I'm not familiar with. I always thought you actually paid the county board to enter a team....

It may not please everyone, especially does intent on being negative, but you have to start somewhere. From the outside looking in, similar to Offaly hurling, this problem didn't start in the last 5 or 6 years. Hurling must have been neglected going back over the last 20 years.

With the addition of teams from St Broughan's and St Vincent's (7 clubs in total huge population) there's no reason why hurling shouldn't grow in North Offaly. Unless the "we've no tradition of hurling" brigade start piping up again trying to cover up their own clubs flaws.
Clodiagh Gaels are a dual club in North Offaly, as are Shamrocks, Tullamore, Ballinamere/ Durrow underage, hurling end Ballinamere, and Clara IHC champions.
I think the point is to promote hurling in traditional football areas, in North East Offaly. A great idea, as Offaly hurling needs the widest possible base.
Edenderry did have an adult hurling team, and Gracefield have a hurling team.
Well considering Bracknagh Boy is so concerned with the plight of Offaly hurling in North Offaly surely he could start a parish team for St Broughans? Like in fairness he'd have three clubs to pull out of to get it going. Numbers shouldn't be an issue.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Frank, stop trying to deflect from what we originally were discussing. You said that Colm Cummins is a former chairman "of probably the most progressive club in the county".

I wish to dispute that use of the term "progressive" in this case.

Progressive is defined as "of, relating to, or characterised by progress". I would suggest that the bit by bit decline of hurling in Edenderry over the past 10 years is anything but progressive to the point that adult hurling has vanished altogether. It hardly happened overnight and if things were as progressive as you say they are there then surely those running the club would have halted or reversed this gradual decline. If this is our most progressive club then God help us. If anything this is evidence of regression. You can pint to an underage team here or there but will there ever be an adult team again?
Stop trying to compare Edenderry to other clubs that don't have a previous 100 year history of hurling.
Right now there is as much adult hurling in Bracknagh as there is in our 2nd largest urban centre.....NONE!

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

worked with a man from Edenderry a few years ago and he said the demise of hurling in the town was that it was interfering with football in the club .

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

It's unreal 8 years on and to see the same nonsense with Offaly GAA.

There is this line been peddled out at the moment that things are going great. Are people fuckin serious. The senior hurlers are not even eligible for the walsh cup ffs. And apart from 2 lucky draws in the qualifiers the footballers would be in the same boat as they always are.
Its very interesting to see outside of match scores how the twitter has increased no end over the past 2 months.
There is still no plan in place for the future of Offaly GAA.

Duignan i hope gets in. He along with Kieran Keenaghan and their committee raised the money for the faithful fields it had nothing to do with Tommy Byrne.

What is very obvious over the past few years is that as the county GAA has been totally mismanaged there are quite a few people that have filled the airwaves and newspapers with pure and utter tripe in order to enhance their profile. Namely - K.E, P.N, M.V, WOC, JT, BG, DR ..............the list goes on.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

offalys future2 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:58 pm It's unreal 8 years on and to see the same nonsense with Offaly GAA.

There is this line been peddled out at the moment that things are going great. Are people fuckin serious. The senior hurlers are not even eligible for the walsh cup ffs. And apart from 2 lucky draws in the qualifiers the footballers would be in the same boat as they always are.
Its very interesting to see outside of match scores how the twitter has increased no end over the past 2 months.
There is still no plan in place for the future of Offaly GAA.

Duignan i hope gets in. He along with Kieran Keenaghan and their committee raised the money for the faithful fields it had nothing to do with Tommy Byrne.

What is very obvious over the past few years is that as the county GAA has been totally mismanaged there are quite a few people that have filled the airwaves and newspapers with pure and utter tripe in order to enhance their profile. Namely - K.E, P.N, M.V, WOC, JT, BG, DR ..............the list goes on.
Couple of issues with this post.
Firstly, if you are going to say namely, then name people, giving initials is a cop out. There’s two that I can’t necessarily decipher, but still, name the names.

Secondly, Pádraig Boland was chairperson when the Faithful Fields project commenced.
Good Luck

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

So this lad hopes Duignan becomes chairman because he reckons he was a good fundraiser for The Faithful Fields! Besides that being a ridiculous argument for being a good chairman what evidence is there that he was anymore of a fundraiser than anyone else?

And then you just mention local guys that are either journalists/radio presenters/commentators and accuse them of talking tripe?? Really??

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

The one thing that I have a problem with in that post is that he mentioned a couple of journalists who are anti CB.

My question to you guys what makes Tommy Byrne a good chairman ?

You all seem very quick to ask the same question about Duignan...it would take Tommy Byrne a lifetime to raise funds on any project as he is incapable of doing a god job.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Duignan raised 800k apparently for the faithful fields. He was also part of getting ocp redeveloped. He has good business connections.

I think he is worth a shot for reasons I outlined already in this thread.

Lads are always giving out about County board and he is a credible alternative and lads here won't back him.

Its bad for any organisation and club to have the same lads over it all the time. We need change and areas to be addressed. Duignan has said so in the media and he has a vision of where he wants to go. He has not sat on the sidelines but put himself forward.

I have put my argument forward for duignan. What are the arguments for Tommy?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Hasselhoff wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:35 pm Duignan raised 800k apparently for the faithful fields. He was also part of getting ocp redeveloped. He has good business connections.

I think he is worth a shot for reasons I outlined already in this thread.

Lads are always giving out about County board and he is a credible alternative and lads here won't back him.

Its bad for any organisation and club to have the same lads over it all the time. We need change and areas to be addressed. Duignan has said so in the media and he has a vision of where he wants to go. He has not sat on the sidelines but put himself forward.

I have put my argument forward for duignan. What are the arguments for Tommy?
This is the bit that I'm looking forward to hearing about. It's one thing to complain about things that have happened, it's quite another to put on record your views on specific goals that you think are achievable, and how you plan to get there. Michael Duignan has said that he wants to talk to the clubs first before doing any interviews, and I respect that - but I genuinely look forward to hearing what he has to say on stuff like this in the next week or two.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Lone Shark wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 am This is the bit that I'm looking forward to hearing about. It's one thing to complain about things that have happened, it's quite another to put on record your views on specific goals that you think are achievable, and how you plan to get there. Michael Duignan has said that he wants to talk to the clubs first before doing any interviews, and I respect that - but I genuinely look forward to hearing what he has to say on stuff like this in the next week or two.
Me too.

Tommy Byrne isn't the man to drive on. All agreed. But either are the like of Christy Todd or Andy Gallagher. Thanks for all you've done but now move on.... harsh but it's what it takes.

But what makes Michael Duignan. Whats his vision and mission statement, 3 and 5 year plan, 10 year plan. Development of underage - schools, clubs. Where does he see things going?

For me, all this detail will determine if he deserves the job or not

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

This “high powered” group that met to come up with an alternative to Tommy Byrne at the helm definitely missed a trick by not putting forward someone that is universally thought of in high esteem. Thinking of maybe Stephen Darby for example. The fact that Tommy Byrne (who we prob will all agree has been at the helm way too long and presided over prob our worse run of results) is still leading a poll here for the chairman job tells its own story about the alternative.