Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by private joker »

Final could be in July, similar to laois

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 pm Back in 2010 I watched Drumcullen's Leinster club quarter-final in the company of Séamus Cooney, who was there for Radio 3. Séamus is from Westmeath and was sound and was good company.
I stand to be corrected on this but the Seamus Cooney on Midlands 103 is from Laois. Somewhere down near the Carlow end AFAIK.
Not disagreeing with your point or anything.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 pm Only getting around to this query now. While Offaly and Westmeath share a lengthy boundary, the countys' respective traditional hurling areas don't border each other. Though in fairness, that might be changing now with Ballinamere-Durrow making a significant contribution. Westmeath's traditional hurling area is to the north of Mullingar.

Back in 2010 I watched Drumcullen's Leinster club quarter-final in the company of Séamus Cooney, who was there for Radio 3. Séamus is from Westmeath and was sound and was good company. As Drumcullen closed in on the win, news was coming through that Westmeath Intermediate champions Delvin were winning their quarter-final, and Séamus began to get excited at the prospect of a "local derby" in the next round. Now, Drumcullen and Delvin must be 40 miles apart and wouldn't be what I'd consider a local derby by any means. But if Westmeath hurling people consider Offaly to be a local derby, then they will draw energy from it.

There was a risk prior to Sunday that Westmeath Minors would draw energy from this 'derby' craic that Offaly wouldn't match, and that maybe a Limerick manager wouldn't identify. It turned out that they didn't.
[quote=Kevin post_id=61648 time=<a href="tel:1608319797">1608319797</a> user_id=28]
Hi POTH,

Can you expand on this a bit?

'Westmeath v Offaly is a local derby for Westmeath, but not for Offaly.'

Interested to understand the context/perspective.

Many thx.
[/quote]

Thx for this POTH!

AND best wishes to to you and ALL on here for the New Year!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'll be honest, I never asked him. It's something I have always presumed. SC was photographed front and centre of the Westmeath celebrations when they beat Kilkenny in U21 hurling a few years ago.
Heshs Umpire wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:16 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 pm Back in 2010 I watched Drumcullen's Leinster club quarter-final in the company of Séamus Cooney, who was there for Radio 3. Séamus is from Westmeath and was sound and was good company.
I stand to be corrected on this but the Seamus Cooney on Midlands 103 is from Laois. Somewhere down near the Carlow end AFAIK.
Not disagreeing with your point or anything.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

i thought Seamus was Westmeath,

Jack "ah that a terrible decision against Laois" Nolan and Gerry "hash Yallllah, certainly,"Russell are both Laois men.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:30 pm Only getting around to this query now. While Offaly and Westmeath share a lengthy boundary, the countys' respective traditional hurling areas don't border each other. Though in fairness, that might be changing now with Ballinamere-Durrow making a significant contribution. Westmeath's traditional hurling area is to the north of Mullingar.

Back in 2010 I watched Drumcullen's Leinster club quarter-final in the company of Séamus Cooney, who was there for Radio 3. Séamus is from Westmeath and was sound and was good company. As Drumcullen closed in on the win, news was coming through that Westmeath Intermediate champions Delvin were winning their quarter-final, and Séamus began to get excited at the prospect of a "local derby" in the next round. Now, Drumcullen and Delvin must be 40 miles apart and wouldn't be what I'd consider a local derby by any means. But if Westmeath hurling people consider Offaly to be a local derby, then they will draw energy from it.

There was a risk prior to Sunday that Westmeath Minors would draw energy from this 'derby' craic that Offaly wouldn't match, and that maybe a Limerick manager wouldn't identify. It turned out that they didn't.
Kevin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:29 pm Hi POTH,

Can you expand on this a bit?

'Westmeath v Offaly is a local derby for Westmeath, but not for Offaly.'

Interested to understand the context/perspective.

Many thx.
Late response to above. Westmeath hurling is mostly based around the Castlepollard/ Lough Lene areas in NE Westmeath. There is also a hurling club in Castletown Geoghegan, playing in black and amber, Mullingar has Oliver Plunketts, former referee Barry Kelly’s club I believe. Southern Gaels are a hurling club in Athlone.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

local derby as in inter county, but not a local derby between 2 clubs 40 mile apart, not even one each side of the border say like Meelick Eyre court in Galway and St. Rynaghs for example or Birr V Lorrha say in hurling would be a local derby distance wise...40 miles is pushing it a bit calling it a derby...

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:40 pm local derby as in inter county, but not a local derby between 2 clubs 40 mile apart, not even one each side of the border say like Meelick Eyre court in Galway and St. Rynaghs for example or Birr V Lorrha say in hurling would be a local derby distance wise...40 miles is pushing it a bit calling it a derby...
agree if thats the case kilkenny is a derby wouldnt be 40 miles from tullamore to castlecomer :lol:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ide say Castlecomer is more than 40 miles from Tullamore, without even going into aa route planner Ide say 60 miles would ball park...RTE commentators are as bad, a few years ago Longford and Carlow was called a midlands derby on Sunday Sport on RTE radio 1....but if you listen to most of these presenters and unfortunately its RTE again...Ray Darcy had a caller to his All Ireland Quiz there during the first long lockdown, and Brian Hogan from Lorrha, hurled with Lorrha and Tipp underage, no immediate relation to Ken or current goalie as far as I know, but Ray Darcy never heard of Lorrha....minutes later he heard of Bree in Wexford though, which is a small little place too, apparently Darcy spent summer holidays down there, again most of us in our 50's and speaking for myself and many more country folk, didnt do "holidays" as children, it was the bog, hay and corn and all the summer work on a farm if you lived on one...and even if you didnt back then and you lived in the country you were down on the neighbours farm giving a dig out and maybe a bit of play time in the evening before going home (walking 2 or 3 mile maybe) exhausted.. WInning Streak is as bad, yer one Kathryn Thomas pulling out the participants for next week, cannot pronounce Kilmainham Wood in Meath (and admit to having never heard of place when Marty Whelan assists, or Portroe, cannot pronounce it firstly, and secondly never heard of the place...one wonders with all the degrees these people have, do they actually read ordinary papers or articles where such places mght be mentioned from time to time...its very very common, I can understand the real young crowd not knowing of places as technology has us all finding places on sat navs now etc...but people in their 30s/40s not knowing how to pronounce a name and worse still never hearing of it is poor..and its not all little place names, its places like Mohil in Leitrim, Pallaskenry in Limerick, Bodyke in Clare etc are places that most people will or should have heard of over the years...I know i have gone off topic but it stems from people not knowing where places are...we are a small enough country...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

65kms from Castlecomer to Tullamore or to be precise, 40.65miles Fairplay, but anyway back to analysis of RTE's finest...continue....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

:) :lol:

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

a big blow for the hurlers Cillian Kiely has op out of the squad for this year a big lost to mick fennellys plans for the year. James Dempsey sean cleary Brendan Murphy Dan Doughan also gone disappoint to see so many leave the squad .

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

whats the list of the current panel?
who has gone?
who is in?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I’m going to attempt a list of the current squad, based on 2020’s panel that I am aware of, less those reported to have left/withdrawn plus those who have been called up.

GOALKEEPERS:
Stephen Corcoran
Éamonn Cleary
Conor Clancy

DEFENDERS:
Ciarán Burke
Ben Conneely
Paddy Delaney
Damien Egan
David King
Aidan Treacy
Ross Ravenhill
Paddy Rigney
Pádraig Cantwell
Jordan Quinn
Pádraic Guinan
Rory Carty
Dylan Watkins

ATTACKERS:
Eoghan Cahill
David Nally
Shane Kinsella
Jason Sampson
Peter Geraghty
Colm Gath
Oisín Kelly
Liam Langton
Thomas Geraghty
Adrian Hynes
Brian Duignan
Conor Langton
Joey Keenaghan
Paul Kinsella
Luke O’Connor
John Murphy
Aaron Maher
Eimhin Kelly

That’s 34. There may well be more. For instance, I can’t tell whether Shane Dooley is involved or not.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Heard Michael fennely saying that their building for the future, I heard that every year for the last 10 years.
Don't worry about 2022, offaly need to get they best 15 hurlers out in 2020 . Looking at that panel, there are 2 defenders with real experience b connelly and d King , there is no quality midfielder and a very light weight attack. Every good team has a physical spin to it.
Only 6 of that panel have won a senior a county final, there is a reason why the others have not , they have not been good enough..
Honestly we cannot afford to loose the two kielys, the might be hard work but they both can hurl and the have size. Where is Jack screen from kk , to me he is real talented.