Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Fairplayalways »

Cillian (Kiely) is a massive loss for the year...they may (or may not!) get by without him in the lower division, but he is a tremendous loss..the young brohter an equal loss but Cillian is most certainly...and a few more have opted out, strange (or not?) to see so many of the Shinrone lads opting out, I was hoping they might add a bit of metal to their resepctive postions/lines of play on the field...a few more fringe squad players gone too I see..look, its a woeful commitment and we have to realise that alot of the lads (other than Cillian Kiely) are just going to be fringe players at most, and with Offaly not punching at top weight, its tough to stay the pace...I certainly wouldnt have done it in my own day if I were that good...so Kielys reasons are personal and we have to accept that and indeed the same from the rest of the lads who opted out...posters will know I would have Kiely further up the field nearer the enemy goals so to speak, he has a bit of devil about him, will give you 100% every time, anyone that watched the Derry and in particular the Down semi final defeat, could see his bewilderment at times at the amount of ground he had to make up and help out his lines...he scored his penalty when it was most certainly needed...he was clearly deflated at the final whistle...

hopefully he and others will return if possible later in the year or even next year..best of luck to the lads called up...its some commitment to give your county in this day and age..

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:11 pm I’m going to attempt a list of the current squad, based on 2020’s panel that I am aware of, less those reported to have left/withdrawn plus those who have been called up.

GOALKEEPERS:
Stephen Corcoran
Éamonn Cleary
Conor Clancy

DEFENDERS:
Ciarán Burke
Ben Conneely
Paddy Delaney
Damien Egan
David King
Aidan Treacy
Ross Ravenhill
Paddy Rigney
Pádraig Cantwell
Jordan Quinn
Pádraic Guinan
Rory Carty
Dylan Watkins

ATTACKERS:
Eoghan Cahill
David Nally
Shane Kinsella
Jason Sampson
Peter Geraghty
Colm Gath
Oisín Kelly
Liam Langton
Thomas Geraghty
Adrian Hynes
Brian Duignan
Conor Langton
Joey Keenaghan
Paul Kinsella
Luke O’Connor
John Murphy
Aaron Maher
Eimhin Kelly

That’s 34. There may well be more. For instance, I can’t tell whether Shane Dooley is involved or not.

Thank You POTH

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ime picking a defence no bother with plenty of cover for postions, midfield is a bit iffy, and as for 6 forwards whom are going to score enough to win matches is tighter again, yes there are big names in there and they are developing etc. is there a settled scoring forward line there to go with, I doubt it..dont get me wrong, it would be a great forwad line on paper but would it function on the pitch is the problem...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I know there are way more pressing things going on with the Covid 19 and the alarming situation we are in, I thought there wold be a few more on here discussing the in's and outs (literally) of the Offaly panel...Cillian Kielys opting out for the year in particular is massive loss...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Best of luck to the lads who opted out.

But more importantly, let's get behind the lads who have opted in!
Not interested in discussing either of the Kiely's situations, or any of the other lads...all are losses given where we are now. Big committment required and lets see how we cope without them. Some lads have a tendency to reappear again.

I read in the paper that Shane Dooley has committed so hopefully he can offer something this year.

However the big worry I see from some of the names involved is that there is more of an attraction to playing club than county these days. This is a challenge given where are in the rankings.
The biggest challenge is that this group and especially the new lads wont get access to the type of conditioning that's needed this year, but patience is needed in the S&C side as takes a bit of time to get up to speed. League will be a challenge, but if we get hurling championship on the dry ground hopefully we can get up to the Joe Mc.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

nothing wrong with discussing the lads who have opted out, some here no doubt will want to, fair enough if you dont want to, I know more than the Kielys are huge losses in their own way I know, but they are in particular given they were both more than likely to be on starting teams, and Cillian being versatile and play anywhere type of chap..

as you say, who are in are in, and we need to hit the ground running, but none of this "it will take time" we dont have that time unfortunately, we need a promotion in the league, and at the very least a final appearance in the Christy Ring (CR) (will a final defeat to some "football" county be a good year??..No)...if neither of the promotion or CR final materialise, then thats it for another year, more established players will be a year older and may question their own commitment giving the return for same..., the idea of lads wanting to play more for their clubs was mooted as a reason for the Shinrone lads opting out two years ago in a bid to win the county final apparently, maybe so, maybe not, only those at the top know that and the players involved...Sean Dolan has opted out too, another massive loss given his club form..he isnt opting club over county as he has his senior medals...its a huge comittment especially given we are playing for lesser competitions....we do have some excellent quality of young hurlers in there, and we need to get them up to a level of hurling (ASAP) to keep them hurling...that said I do think we will be ok in the league..the CR is the tricky one for us (yet again)...hopefully those that are in the squad will step up to the plate now this year and give us something to celebrate in some guise....
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10 pm nothing wrong with discussing the lads who have opted out, some here no doubt will want to, fair enough if you dont want to, I know more than the Kielys are huge losses in their own way I know, but they are in particular given they were both more than likely to be on starting teams, and Cillian being versatile and play anywhere type of chap..

as you say, who are in are in, and we need to hit the ground running, but none of this "it will take time" we dont have that time unfortunately, we need a promotion in the league, and at the very least a final appearance in the JMCD (will a final defeat to some "football" county be a good year??)...if neither of the promotion or JMCD fina materialise, then thats it for another year, more established players will be a year older and may question their own commitment giving the return for same..., the idea of lads wanting to play more for their clubs was mooted as a reason for the Shinrone lads opting out two years ago in a bid to win the county final apparently, maybe so, maybe not, only those at the top know that and the players involved...Sean Dolan has opted out too, another massive loss given his club form..he isnt opting club over county as he has his senior medals...its a huge comittment especially given we are playing for lesser comepetitions....we do have some excellent quality of young hurlers in there, and we need to get them up to a level of hurling (ASAP) to keep them hurling...that said I do think we will be ok in the league..the JMCD is the tricky one for us (yet again)...hopefully thos that are in will step up to the plate now this year and give us something to celebrate in some guise....
Can't see us doing well in the Joe McDonagh Cup at all. In fact I'd go so far as to say we'll be a non-entity in it.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

that fear is in my heart too..or we will be competitive until the game enters crunch time and then we will panic and implode...I know it sounds cruel, but that has been a habit in recent competitions including league games...I stems I think from lack of winning mentality, fear of loosing (i.e. we are not going to hold out here) Unfortunately one of the best ways to break that cycle is to win a few tight games...Ide rather see us win a few tight games by maybe 4/5 points and score a few goals in tow, rather than win by 20 points with a points only total....I really hope we get a nice run going in the league and field a settle team by the end of it (giving all players a chance during the group stages to lay claim to a place...might be no harm to to try something different like a brand new midfield pairing, putting known ball winners into the centre of the field rather than light skilful players who I would be having in my inside forward line...

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10 pm nothing wrong with discussing the lads who have opted out, some here no doubt will want to, fair enough if you dont want to, I know more than the Kielys are huge losses in their own way I know, but they are in particular given they were both more than likely to be on starting teams, and Cillian being versatile and play anywhere type of chap..

as you say, who are in are in, and we need to hit the ground running, but none of this "it will take time" we dont have that time unfortunately, we need a promotion in the league, and at the very least a final appearance in the JMCD (will a final defeat to some "football" county be a good year??)...if neither of the promotion or JMCD fina materialise, then thats it for another year, more established players will be a year older and may question their own commitment giving the return for same..., the idea of lads wanting to play more for their clubs was mooted as a reason for the Shinrone lads opting out two years ago in a bid to win the county final apparently, maybe so, maybe not, only those at the top know that and the players involved...Sean Dolan has opted out too, another massive loss given his club form..he isnt opting club over county as he has his senior medals...its a huge comittment especially given we are playing for lesser comepetitions....we do have some excellent quality of young hurlers in there, and we need to get them up to a level of hurling (ASAP) to keep them hurling...that said I do think we will be ok in the league..the JMCD is the tricky one for us (yet again)...hopefully thos that are in will step up to the plate now this year and give us something to celebrate in some guise....
Can't see us doing well in the Joe McDonagh Cup at all. In fact I'd go so far as to say we'll be a non-entity in it.
I agree - cant see us winning any matches in the Joe McDonagh Cup this year :lol: :lol:

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Hard to win a competition your not in.

OffalyGaa2020
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by OffalyGaa2020 »

Just while on the topic of players in and out. I read the article during the week which named the players that apparently opted out for this year. That article wasn’t fully correct as I know some of them lads were actually dropped before Christmas which is grand as that is what happens but the article makes it sound like a few lads left cause they don’t want to play for Offaly in the coming season. I know for fact that Doughan was going back in but was dropped before the Christmas and there was a couple more Aswell obviously to make room for new blood.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

as you say, who are in are in, and we need to hit the ground running, but none of this "it will take time" we dont have that time unfortunately, we need a promotion in the league, and at the very least a final appearance in the Christy RIng (CR) (will a final defeat to some "football" county be a good year??...No)...if neither of the promotion or CR final materialise, then thats it for another year, more established players will be a year older and may question their own commitment giving the return for same..., the idea of lads wanting to play more for their clubs was mooted as a reason for the Shinrone lads opting out two years ago in a bid to win the county final apparently, maybe so, maybe not, only those at the top know that and the players involved...Sean Dolan has opted out too, another massive loss given his club form..he isnt opting club over county as he has his senior medals...its a huge comittment especially given we are playing for lesser comepetitions....we do have some excellent quality of young hurlers in there, and we need to get them up to a level of hurling (ASAP) to keep them hurling...that said I do think we will be ok in the league..the CR is the tricky one for us (yet again)...hopefully thos that are in will step up to the plate now this year and give us something to celebrate in some guise....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

better to think we are better than we are maybe :lol: imagine if it was the Lowry Meagher Cup I quoted :cry:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:02 pm

as you say, who are in are in, and we need to hit the ground running, but none of this "it will take time" we dont have that time unfortunately, we need a promotion in the league, and at the very least a final appearance in the Christy RIng (CR) (will a final defeat to some "football" county be a good year??...No)...if neither of the promotion or CR final materialise, then thats it for another year, more established players will be a year older and may question their own commitment giving the return for same..., the idea of lads wanting to play more for their clubs was mooted as a reason for the Shinrone lads opting out two years ago in a bid to win the county final apparently, maybe so, maybe not, only those at the top know that and the players involved...Sean Dolan has opted out too, another massive loss given his club form..he isnt opting club over county as he has his senior medals...its a huge comittment especially given we are playing for lesser comepetitions....we do have some excellent quality of young hurlers in there, and we need to get them up to a level of hurling (ASAP) to keep them hurling...that said I do think we will be ok in the league..the CR is the tricky one for us (yet again)...hopefully thos that are in will step up to the plate now this year and give us something to celebrate in some guise....
better to think up a competition than down :lol: ..lucky it wasnt the Lowry Meagher I quoted :cry:

OffalyGaa2020
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by OffalyGaa2020 »

Just while we’re on the topic of the ins and out of the hurling panel this year. I read the article during the week about the players that have opted out. But that’s not the case with all the players mentioned some of the players were actually dropped from the panel before Christmas which does happen as we know. I do know Doughan and 1 or 2 other lads were planning on going back in but we’re dropped before the Christmas to make room for new blood . The way the article was done it makes it sound like the lads don’t want to hurl for Offaly in the coming year which is the case for some and which is okay also too cause people have lives outside of hurling and it is a big commitment these days.