Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just on this. Having been at both games, I believe they took more or less a similar trend. Dublin led for much of the quarter-final, at times it seemed like Offaly were on the verge of being tipped off the edge, but they kept battling, stuck to the plan and came with a late run of scores to force extra time.
Something similar happened against Wexford, with the Offaly seemingly on the precipice, but they kept hurling and had got back to within a score but Wexford hit a late goal. (Based on hazy recollection.)
frankthetank wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:46 pm
seany123 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:39 am Minors should win comfortably, we are decent and apparently Kildare v poor this year. 20s will win well I think, we have a really big strong team who can hurl, and time of year won't do any harm, plus Dubs are without their dual players due to U20 Football All Ireland. Unbelievable chance to reach at least a Leinster Final by beating Wex in semi after that. Should be a good weekends work, the future is looking good.
Can't see them getting over Dublin to be honest. Dublin won the Leinster Minor in 2018 scoring 6-19 in the final against Kilkenny (6-19 to 7-12!!!) so it would be quite the surprise if we knocked them out.

Also we haven't been in the same stratosphere as Wexford in underage for quite a while. Even after we had that great win vs Dublin last year, Wexford were comfortable 5 point winners over us in OCP.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Hi POTH,

Can you expand on this a bit?

'Westmeath v Offaly is a local derby for Westmeath, but not for Offaly.'

Interested to understand the context/perspective.

Many thx.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Hurling2022
Junior B

Post by Hurling2022 »

Just watched the game between Dublin and Wexford in the u20 Dublin won 1-19 to 1-10

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Offaly will surely win christy Ring. Very poor teams in it with maybe wicklow been the strongest. Have to win both league and championship.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

should have won the christy ring cup this year . :oops:

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Offaly and Westmeath playing a Leinster MHC semi final in Mullingar. Closest Midlands Radio 3 are to covering it is playing the song Teenage Dirtbag on the radio. No joke. Poor.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Its on YouTube. Big win for offaly. Two minor teams in leinster finals is no mean feat

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 pm Offaly and Westmeath playing a Leinster MHC semi final in Mullingar. Closest Midlands Radio 3 are to covering it is playing the song Teenage Dirtbag on the radio. No joke. Poor.
It's a pity it's not live on radio 3 but it was live on YouTube

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

great win as like the kildare game once offaly got going westmeath had no answer and won pulling up in the end. its great to watch the games on tg4 youtube . kilkenny now in the new year first time since 1989 that we got to both finals winning both . the replay final again kilkenny in portlaoise was won 4-13 to 0-13 . i remember that final replay for the display of the late grear Adrian Cahill in midfield who was outstanding that evening. and his nephew is leading the charge this year with offaly .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Excellent win , for a small dual county it’s a great achievement to reach both Leinster finals. Go out and win both now we need it

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:15 pm Offaly and Westmeath playing a Leinster MHC semi final in Mullingar. Closest Midlands Radio 3 are to covering it is playing the song Teenage Dirtbag on the radio. No joke. Poor.
I noticed this in recent times (probably from lock down and trying to clutch onto something live going on around the place)...I know its a minor etc. but I listen to Galway Bay alot too while out walking and any games on in Galway, be it inter county, club, in hurling/football or camogie, they may not commentate full game but go over 2 or three times a half, and do you know its interesting even if your not from the county just to hear a live game going on and see how its going...I think our county board or whoever sends in our results is fairly lack lustre too, when Offaly are playing and if I dont get the result and go on to Hoganstand website and click on results, Offaly result is almost always last, there is intermediate camogie semi final results, Connacht Minor semi final results played in far off places and then the Offaly result sitting last....I know it could be the way the website puts them up but its strange our (Offaly) results are nearly always last....

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:35 pm
I noticed this in recent times (probably from lock down and trying to clutch onto something live going on around the place)...I know its a minor etc. but I listen to Galway Bay alot too while out walking and any games on in Galway, be it inter county, club, in hurling/football or camogie, they may not commentate full game but go over 2 or three times a half, and do you know its interesting even if your not from the county just to hear a live game going on and see how its going...I think our county board or whoever sends in our results is fairly lack lustre too, when Offaly are playing and if I dont get the result and go on to Hoganstand website and click on results, Offaly result is almost always last, there is intermediate camogie semi final results, Connacht Minor semi final results played in far off places and then the Offaly result sitting last....I know it could be the way the website puts them up but its strange our (Offaly) results are nearly always last....
Westmeath Ladies were in the Intermediate Final v Meath yesterday. I sometimes felt over the years Offaly teams and GAA activities, did not get the same coverage as the other 2 counties. I presume the provincial finals will be fully covered on local radio.
Happy Christmas to all posters. I hope next year sees the end of COVID, and we can attend matches again. We can have a normal life again.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

the same to all posters, its a great form, and supporters of all standings have made great points and observations on here...we migh not always aggree but its good healthy debate..hopefully this Covid will be consigned to history this time next year and we will be posting on here on some sort of progress for Offaly teams in all codes and levels...happy Christmas all and keep the fire lit on here, it is great to come on and see someone has posted something to distract us away from the covid situation...pity we didnt get our senior A hurling final played, that shouldnt really have happened with all the matches that were going on around the county...no doubt have opened another debate by even saying that..happy Christmas all and take care!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Only getting around to this query now. While Offaly and Westmeath share a lengthy boundary, the countys' respective traditional hurling areas don't border each other. Though in fairness, that might be changing now with Ballinamere-Durrow making a significant contribution. Westmeath's traditional hurling area is to the north of Mullingar.

Back in 2010 I watched Drumcullen's Leinster club quarter-final in the company of Séamus Cooney, who was there for Radio 3. Séamus is from Westmeath and was sound and was good company. As Drumcullen closed in on the win, news was coming through that Westmeath Intermediate champions Delvin were winning their quarter-final, and Séamus began to get excited at the prospect of a "local derby" in the next round. Now, Drumcullen and Delvin must be 40 miles apart and wouldn't be what I'd consider a local derby by any means. But if Westmeath hurling people consider Offaly to be a local derby, then they will draw energy from it.

There was a risk prior to Sunday that Westmeath Minors would draw energy from this 'derby' craic that Offaly wouldn't match, and that maybe a Limerick manager wouldn't identify. It turned out that they didn't.
Kevin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:29 pm Hi POTH,

Can you expand on this a bit?

'Westmeath v Offaly is a local derby for Westmeath, but not for Offaly.'

Interested to understand the context/perspective.

Many thx.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Liam2020
Senior
Club: Kinnity

Post by Liam2020 »

Back to level 5 so both leinster final deferred. Does not look like our senior hurling final will be played any time soon.
I be interested to hear opinions on offaly senior all star team for 2020 in hurling and football.
Players would have to played senior a in 2020 só some county lads won't be eligible.