Offaly Hurling 2020

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2020

Post by SearingDrive »

JimBwobb wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 pm Offaly 1.09 - Down 1.08 at Half Time

Miserable day in Newry for hurling. Let's start with the negatives:

Too much wayward shooting
Too many fouls
Hurling as individuals
No gameplan

Now on to the positives:

A point ahead. Same conditions for both sides. Who had the wind in first period. Nervous time for Offaly in second half.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Disaster. Cant even win the christy Ring.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

We cant even reach the Final of Christy Ring Cup (3rd Tier). :cry:
If dropping down to this level was hoped to be an aberration last year, not bouncing back is the proof of our level. Can we accept that? :evil:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Everyone will say this is our level and it clearly is.
Never expected this.
Gobsmacked.
Devastated.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Pretty horrible.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Difference between the team.
Down tried to play hurling.
Offaly tried to play hand ball.

Offaly Played with no full forward line Our backs were forced to hold on to the Ball.

There nothing here that can't be fixed but our players have been brought up playing SHIT hurling under the Name Modern Hurling and it bullshit.

The Worst moment in Offaly Hurling History was when we appointed a Hurling Development Officer who has destroyed the game of hurling in Offaly.

By the way Dave Fitz once again has gone to another county and destroyed a good team. It will take Wexford 4 years to recover. The "modern Hurling Guru"

The Next Manager has to forget about the fitness of the players and get them to play hurling again. No matter how fit you are if you can't play the game in a effective manner then your not an intercounty hurler.

Having players trying to run a marathon every week has Failed for Offaly hurling.
Today we flood players back and forward until they just couldn't walk. They S&C is fine but asking players to play an game basic sole on running the other team to dead is fucking stupid. Cahill need to be keep on the field at all cost and we ran him to dead.
If we stay going this way out club teams with be beating anyone and out county team will be getting beat by Leitrim.

I renamed Modern Hurling "Wankers hurling" for now on.

Wankers Hurling has failed. Starving our forward of ball and forcing players to hit the ball under pressure for way too far out the field.

Lets just fucking put a full forward line and spread then out and try to hit them earlier. It reduces the need for players be marathon runners and give the team a chance to move forward and back as unit.

AND ENOUGH OF THE WANKER HURLING WE PLAYED TODAY.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

I think your the wanker stuck in the 80s. Davy won a leinster with wexford and should've beaten tipperary and would have gone very close to win an all ireland. So try and not be so blind. In modern hurling you need to be able to run. Like it or not , that's reality. Don't know what happened today but the problem in offaly is far deeper than the problems of this senior team.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

First off well done to Down. I belive two teams get promoted this year so they are going up. I felt the ref gifted us a free to level it at the end of etxta time. They pick from a tiny base so its a great achievement.

We cant stay playing hurling from the past, but today in the conditions we did need to be more direct. I can recall one great point where we worked it through the lines and Kiely struck it over, bit i can recall many times the ball being turned over in our own half after we had chances to cleat them. You sometimes have to look at the conditions and say right, lets get back to basics.

Thanks to the lads for their efforts, i know they train as hard as any other county.

2020 cant end soon enough.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

joe bloggs wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:05 pm First off well done to Down. I belive two teams get promoted this year so they are going up. I felt the ref gifted us a free to level it at the end of etxta time. They pick from a tiny base so its a great achievement.

We cant stay playing hurling from the past, but today in the conditions we did need to be more direct. I can recall one great point where we worked it through the lines and Kiely struck it over, bit i can recall many times the ball being turned over in our own half after we had chances to cleat them. You sometimes have to look at the conditions and say right, lets get back to basics.

Thanks to the lads for their efforts, i know they train as hard as any other county.

2020 cant end soon enough.
Congrats to Down. Offaly players and management will be very disappointed. Just have to move on to 2021. This has been a year to forget in every sense. There are worse things in life than losing a game.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Following the year we all are having I wouldn’t be to hard on the team or management . Yes we needed to get promoted sooner rather than later but I don’t think this team is capable of competing in the McDonagh cup yet. When Kildare and Down are ahead of us we wouldn’t stand a chance against the Carlow, Kerry or Antrim’s. There is no quick solution this is going to be a long and hard road back if we get there at all. I just hope we can stick together and build something for next year

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

oneshot wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 am fairplayalways wouldn’t agree with you on cillian kiely comment, i think centre or fulback is the place for him played a good bit minor for county and club in the backs . i remember him hurling minor i think he was only 16 at the time again carlow in portlaoise at number 6 he was outstanding. anyway best of luck to the players and backroom team . last weeks game will bring them on offaly by 10 points.
I will live with the debate about Kielys position, I hate to have to say but I got alot right in my predictions though too (I said we would win I know but I was genuinely unsure as you will know from reading my lenghty post last night before the game)
Agaain, a no show show from some of our so called star players, as I said about the Derry game (and was dismissed by some posters) too many individual players on the team, and if they were good that would be one thing, the time has come now accept, that Offaly are where they are, there is no devine riight for us to be at the top table, (we think we have the right but only we do) alot of deadwood on that panel from what I see, young as some of them are they are there long enough now some of them and are not raising a whimper in most games, From the starting 15 today, I will single out Kiely, Conneely, Paddy Rigney, David King, Shane Kinsella, Damien Egan, and I will leave Eoghan Cahill as I think he will be a fine hurler (needs to muck in abit more now too) Young Langton I would give another spin too, after that, bye bye lads, go back to your clubs and we will look at ye again next year during the club championship...the panel could be gone through too, alot of lads there, brough on, and absolutely no impact, worse in some cases than the lads they replaced...yes, we will have the "they are young and neeed to develop£ brigade on now with that line, I will pull no punches, if you are not hurling at high level (hurling now, now not getting picked for the county panel - there is a difference) at 21/2 or 3 years of age, whats the story, how long does it take and Offaly hurler to "develop"..watching the Kilkeny team tonight on the pitch, took of their helmets, and some of them are only gosoons, the newer players, but by jaysus can they hurl...how anyone thought in the lead up to todays game with Down, having watched Derry game last week, Offaly would win this game easily, I dont know, the game against Derry was rubbish, polish it up all you like with working the ball this way and that way etc., Eoghan Cahill scored a ton of frees, to boost up the score, but the performance, was rubbish I thought, only slighly better than today maybe or similar I am that annoyed I cannot compare the games to be honest, but people talking it up as if we are Kilkenny or Galway, about moving the ball etc..we are not capable of doing that, we dont have them type of hurlers, we are not phsyically big enough all over the field, and of he big players we have only around 2 of them have the level of skill necessary to go with the physical to make them good players...We were very poorly organised even for the penalty shoot out, some names not showing to take them, I know its about lads putting their hands up, but the management need to make sure the best players are taking them too...we are now where we are, and will be for a while...a good while.....

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

For all the believers who came on here after last week thinking it was a super win well you have been brought back down to earth after today.

I can't blame management because no matter what way we tried to play we should of had enough to beat Down and that is no disrespect to them.

We got into a dog fight with no fight in us and to be honest it wouldnt be hard to do that because our lads just thought they would wonder around and win as they liked.

I think the first goal tells today's story, how we were turned over highlighted where our mindset was at.

Kiely shooting from 70 yards giving away frees as usual, backs running out with ball with no end product or clue what they were going to do with it , forwards not up to the level that it requires!

Going backwards instead of forwards I didnt think it could worse well it did.

Well done Down you worked hard and beat a team who showed ye little respect so you deserve the win!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

It really is a desperately sad time for Offaly hurling and trying to piece through the rubble of 2020 will be difficult but as is the merits of internet forums I'd like to add my two cents in more than likely an unstructured meandering post.

First of all Offaly's gameplan today was and is hugely concerning. Good managers come to counties, assess the players and devise a game plan that best suits those players. Inept managers come to counties and have a game plan long formed in their head and are so dogmatic that even after assessing the relative strengths and weaknesses of their players, they inflict that pre-designed style of hurling on the team even if it's patently unsuitable to the squad. Guess which side the current Offaly manager falls into?

For instance, what current Offaly Senior A or Senior B team hurls in the same style as Offaly hurl today? The answer is none so our current crop of players have had no experience of hurling like that at club underage, club adult or intercounty underage yet they are supposed to adapt to it as adults. Not going to happen. The closest any club has done to hurling like that was the Kilcormac team under John Leahy and the St Rynaghs team of the early 2010's. When both teams moved away from this one dimensional approach they became successful. It's quite clear the best teams bring a variety of a short, long and running game to their hurling (That's why Limerick won an All Ireland and Wexford didnt - Limerick vary it, Wexford stick to the system) and they don't stick rigidly to one way of hurling. Offaly couldn't adapt on the fly today and weren't given licence to do so. That's all on the manager.

Michael Fennelly's appointment was greeted by fanfare by many but I found it a very strange appointment. When appointing an intercounty manager I feel the first thing to do is look at his previous body of management work. However Fennelly's CV was to all extents and purposes blank. So how exactly was he the outstanding candidate? I'm not privy to who was interviewed or was there any interest but surely there were people out there with at the very least some sort of senior club management experience. Did we overlook them for the high profile candidate. A rookie was the last thing we needed in 2020.

I now think it is imperative that the county board move with conviction. We need to quietly thank MF for his year and move him on. Following this we need to move to appoint a manager who knows the club scene well in Offaly so we are not starting from fresh again in 2021. While overall I would have reservations about him I think the best candidate at the moment is Ken Hogan. Has won county finals with Coolderry and Banagher and won an All Ireland U21 with Tipperary. At least unlike the current incumbent he has a wealth of experience built up.

Make no mistake about it if we don't achieve promotion from Div 2 of the league and the Christy Ring Cup in 2021 our condition may move from critical to terminal.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

SearingDrive wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:22 pm
JimBwobb wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:15 pm Offaly 1.09 - Down 1.08 at Half Time

Miserable day in Newry for hurling. Let's start with the negatives:

Too much wayward shooting
Too many fouls
Hurling as individuals
No gameplan

In other words same as last week.....
Now on to the positives:

A point ahead. Same conditions for both sides. Who had the wind in first period. Nervous time for Offaly in second half.

not able to pull away when we were ahead, lucky not to loose it in normal time with the nerves in the last few minutes....dreadful day for Offaly...I see lads here criticizing Cillian Kiely!!!!!...we need 4 or 5 more of him and Coneely and Damien Egan and lads like that, and get rid of the "look at me's" on the team...if the forwards dont score enough (some not at all all) you will more often than not will not win the game...blaming the backs now is a bit rich, with so called star players in the forwards who might as well been at home in bed, and not for the first time...clear out needed...start again, earn your place on the panel, not because you had a great club game a year ago...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fennelly has johnny kelly along side him who would know the club scene in offaly very well and has huge success at club level. Ken hogan woukd be a good appointment but he wouldn't touch this team with a 50 ft barge pole. The reality is, players who put in huge effort just fell short. This is offalys level for now. Which is pretty shocking.