Meeting In Tullamore

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Meeting In Tullamore

Post by Lone Shark »

GAHMAD wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:10 am But they did have a meeting and they did invite a wide circle of people.
Did they though? I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but there doesn't seem to have been any method or process to who was deemed worthy to invite to this meeting, or even what information they're willing to share to the general public. I'm open to be corrected on this, but for all we know a few lads went through their phones and just texted whoever they happened to guess might want to come along.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:59 am Well unfortunately for you I have organised a meeting of a “deity powered group” next week and we would like to meet the county board, the high powered group and your extremely higher powered group.
mmmmm.... I’m hearing that the Scientologists are willing to fund floodlights for SBP, provided that they’re allowed to develop their own facilities in Birr😂😂😂

Word going around that Tom Cruise will be in to officially open it.
Good Luck

GAHMAD
County player
Club: Over 50's club

Post by GAHMAD »

My guess is that in the main they have gone to the senior more high profile clubs who they know they need to get onboard and are engaging in diplomacy as opposed to democracy.

Well Lone Shark, That's my point above, they are trying to gauge the appetite for change from a selection of people that they feel they might need to work with them or get involved directly.

I think if I was to look into doing something to change how things are done in the county I might be inclined to go down the route these guys have taken. Test the waters so to speak to gauge who might be willing to get involved.
Then if they think they have something, have an agenda of actions, and individuals willing to put their names forward, potential investors in funding for OY GAA, they might bring concrete proposals to all.

But until they have this in place, they may want to keep the powder dry. I think it can be a good thing and should not be shot down for procedural reasons at this stage. It may not necessarily be all confrontational either, because in fairness to the county board they have made decent progress in many areas in the last 3 years since the opening of the Faithful Fields.

Yes, hurling is in a poor place, and that would be a priority for this new grouping, which I as a football man would support wholeheartedly. But the hurling clubs for too long have not stepped up to the mark in putting candidates forward for County Board positions.

Lets see what comes forward from this and if you guys are involved in your clubs and want to challenge the fact as to why your club was or wasnt contacted then feel free to do so. As a matter of interest have any of you done that already?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

LooseCannon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:47 pm
mmmmm.... I’m hearing that the Scientologists are willing to fund floodlights for SBP, provided that they’re allowed to develop their own facilities in Birr😂😂😂
They should sell off SBP altogether and use the funds from the sale to install floodlights in OCP.
I await your responses to this measured proposal :lol:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We could give this group the benefit of the doubt and believe that these are people pulling together to put their shoulder to the wheel in a more organised manner. There is plenty of coaching, fundraising and strategic management experience going by the names mentioned.

On the other hand this may just bunch of folks who aren’t particularly keen on the taking on the responsibilities and workload that go with elected positions, but still want to create a veto on certain strategic decisions that they don’t like. The suggestion about strong arming the CB into moving hurling to Birr hints at this possibility.

As a general principle and in no way related to anything suggested above, I’d be reluctant to allow any self-appointed group install themselves in a place where the county board become answerable to them.

We could do with hearing more about what the high powered are aiming for and how they intend to operate.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

We have always wanted change at the top table specially of Tommy Byrnes seat.

Some here said it's not good to look for change unless suitable candidates are going to challenge we now have them and ye are backing them cowboys....madness!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm We have always wanted change at the top table specially of Tommy Byrnes seat.

Some here said it's not good to look for change unless suitable candidates are going to challenge we now have them and ye are backing them cowboys....madness!
Am not seeing people 'backing them cowboys'.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

bracknaghboy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 pm
LooseCannon wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:47 pm
They should sell off SBP altogether and use the funds from the sale to install floodlights in OCP.
I await your responses to this measured proposal :lol:
Or we could just sell Bracknagh....😜.

Or South Offaly, and give up this hurleyball nonsense 😂😂.
Good Luck

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm We have always wanted change at the top table specially of Tommy Byrnes seat.

Where have you seen that these people intend to contest key positions, including the chair? I'd be far more positively disposed towards them if they came out and said that.

Instead all we've heard is that they want to bend the ear of the county board, like some sort of passenger seat drivers. I wouldn't see that as helpful to be honest.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

i read somewhere (i'm 90% it was Kevin Corrigans article in the tribune) that this group had people that would contest sitting at the top table.

I agree for me also this is also the first step that needs to happen. not ear whispering.

Everyone is trying their best for Offaly, Tommy Byrne included. He is obviously is not performing and needs changing. Need to treat Offaly county board like a business now.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Any word on who are the people that are putting themselves forward for the county board.

One thing I see is that many in the media will give out about the county board , but wont put themselves forward due to the amount of actual work involved.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It seems like a number of the group are going to contest for positions at county convention this December. Chiefly Michael Duignan running for chairman and some the others going for different roles.

It's good to see there is a willingness from the group to get inside the white lines rather than shout from the sidelines. Hopefully there will be a robust debate in the build up and clubs can then make an informed decision on who will best serve Offaly GAA.
Whatever the outcome is, it is positive to have options, democracy and people willing to put themselves forward to take on the responsibilities that go with these roles.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Lone Shark it seems I was right about the committee they will contest positions...

Michael Duignan going for chairman which is great

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Michael Duignan really wouldn't be a good move.
Moving games back to Birr would be such a backward step and keep the county in denial over what are the real issues. Its not 1994 anymore, just because lads won an all Ireland doesn't mean we should follow what they say. Little more to it than that.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Who said anything about hurling back to Birr there is bigger issues on the table.?