Offaly GAA Club Map

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheSalmon1
Junior B

Offaly GAA Club Map

Post by TheSalmon1 »

Hi, was looking to make a map outlining the various club territories in both football and hurling. I'd really appreciate any help in the form of PMs, or by outlining which townlands belong to which clubs, particularly in the parishes that contain multiple teams. It looks like it'll take a while to do, but it is something that I hope to enjoy. I'll post it when completed.
Thanks.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly GAA Club Map

Post by SearingDrive »

Clodiagh Gaels is a club based in the Killeigh/Killurin area of Co. Offaly, catering for adult football and hurling. Footballers are drawn from the Killeigh and Killurin areas, while the hurling teams can pick from the whole parish, including Raheen, Geashill, and Ballinagar areas. Raheen and Ballinagar are football clubs in the Geashill, Cloneygowan and Raheen areas. Ballinagar draw from the wider Ballinagar area around the village and environs.
Na Fianna is the underage club in hurling and football for the entire parish.

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:46 am Clodiagh Gaels is a club based in the Killeigh/Killurin area of Co. Offaly, catering for adult football and hurling. Footballers are drawn from the Killeigh and Killurin areas, while the hurling teams can pick from the whole parish, including Raheen, Geashill, and Ballinagar areas. Raheen and Ballinagar are football clubs in the Geashill, Cloneygowan and Raheen areas. Ballinagar draw from the wider Ballinagar area around the village and environs.
Na Fianna is the underage club in hurling and football for the entire parish.
Thanks for that. I'm from Offaly alright. It's the borders between the clubs that I wouldn't know. Cheers.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Hi Salmon, and welcome.

Something like this was discussed here a few years back. It would be worth your while to peruse that thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7084
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

TheSalmon1 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 pm Hi, was looking to make a map outlining the various club territories in both football and hurling. I'd really appreciate any help in the form of PMs, or by outlining which townlands belong to which clubs, particularly in the parishes that contain multiple teams. It looks like it'll take a while to do, but it is something that I hope to enjoy. I'll post it when completed.
Thanks.

PM sent. Should be good.
Good Luck

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 pm Hi Salmon, and welcome.

Something like this was discussed here a few years back. It would be worth your while to peruse that thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7084
Thanks. Having a look at a few of them, it's looking like townlands are the way to go. Some electoral divisions cross parish boundaries. Then there's civil parishes that vary from the Catholic counterparts. Some are relevant, then there's some that vary a bit. Anyway, it seems like townlands are the way to go.
Last edited by TheSalmon1 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

LooseCannon wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:44 pm
TheSalmon1 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:51 pm Hi, was looking to make a map outlining the various club territories in both football and hurling. I'd really appreciate any help in the form of PMs, or by outlining which townlands belong to which clubs, particularly in the parishes that contain multiple teams. It looks like it'll take a while to do, but it is something that I hope to enjoy. I'll post it when completed.
Thanks.

PM sent. Should be good.
Thanks, duly noted. It'll take a while though. Any bit of assistance is greatly appreciated. I didn't think that it'd turn out to be quite the task, well to have it 100% correct anyway.

TheSalmon1
Junior B

Post by TheSalmon1 »

Just a quick update. I was working away at it but I've a hit a bump in the road in the form of a technical problem. Should have it fixed by Friday at the latest. I'd really appreciate any little bit of guidance regarding what areas such as electoral divisions and townlands fall into a club's catchment area.
I sent a fair few PMs to people, and have received a nice bit of assistance from some posters. For that I am grateful.
I'd like to add that this is a project that I'm really interested in and the result will be shared on here if allowed. I'm not trying to make any gain out of it whatsoever, just providing something that should already be in existence.
Thanks folks, you know who you are!

P.S. Any further help is very much so appreciated. Not even a 1/5 of the way there yet in terms of having clubs' areas done absolutely perfectly.
Tullamore and its environs in particular would be nice to have.
Once again, thank you.

PMs very much so welcomed!!

JimmyMoloney
Junior C

Post by JimmyMoloney »

Hello Salmon
How is this map progressing?
Is is nearly complete?
Regards
Jimmy Moloney

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

you will have alot of work on your hands piecing all this together getting information here there and everywhere, and of course you are assuming the information you are receiving is correct. For what its worth, if I were doing this job, I would contact the Central Statistics Office, Ardee Road Rathmines (Mapping Area used to be based there) and they should have maps of all areas of the country, broken into ED's (ELectoral Divisions) and even lower breakdowns showing roads and bridges and boundaries etc. That should be relatively easy and be updated from the time of the last Census of Population and they are probably preparing for the next Census as we speak. I assume if you indentify who you are, what you want the information for etc. that they would assist you. You may think this is all alot of work, but for the sake of a few weeks to get a propper map it might save you alot, and I mean alot of piecing together etc.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

JimmyMoloney wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:48 pm Hello Salmon
How is this map progressing?
Is is nearly complete?
Regards
Jimmy Moloney
Rumour has it he had it nearly complete, but ran into a problem, something about Brexit?