Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Next Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am Actually to the best of my knowledge Tommy Byrne was manager of the Gracefield Junior Hurlers this year so he probably had a lot more input into hurling in 2019 than most of the posters on this site.
He hurled for Gracefield (back when they were a intermediate side) for 20 years so all said he'd be well placed to provide a word or two to Fennelly about the hurling scene in Offaly. He and the committee deserve some credit for landing Fennelly, he's worth a shot so lets hope it works out.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Killeighman wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:04 pm
frankthetank wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am Actually to the best of my knowledge Tommy Byrne was manager of the Gracefield Junior Hurlers this year so he probably had a lot more input into hurling in 2019 than most of the posters on this site.
Gary Cahill must have been a selector with Gracefield so
Gary Cahill was involved aswell but I'm pretty sure Tommy Byrne was manager. He was definitely part of the management team.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Won't be long before he is pulling a panel together.

I think there needs to be at least 90% of the panel between 20 and 26 and carry with carry 4 or 5 lads with experience in the camp. The likes of Shane Dooley, Joe Bergin, Conor Mahon, Colin Egan need to be kept to a minimum.

It will be at least 2 years if not more before we are hurling at the top level again.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

kaiserchief wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am Won't be long before he is pulling a panel together.

I think there needs to be at least 90% of the panel between 20 and 26 and carry with carry 4 or 5 lads with experience in the camp. The likes of Shane Dooley, Joe Bergin, Conor Mahon, Colin Egan need to be kept to a minimum.

It will be at least 2 years if not more before we are hurling at the top level again.
That leads us to the next point then. who is on the panel for next year if all players are available? U20s included.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I suppose intially our county QF's and semis and finals in Senior will be alot of what he will go with, I dont follow outside Senior A andkeep an eye on Senior B, outside of that Ime sure there might be a hurler or hurlers playing intermediate/Junior with non so called recognised hurling clubs who deserve at least a trial run on the panel if that is possible..great if we can look at every one and then pick from everyone..as usual I suppose some wont be able to commit for one reason or other and we will have to accept that..it will be interesting to see who give it a go..

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Any info if Fennelley has assembled selectors or players yet. Assume he was at the games over the weekend?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I saw him in OCP at the Birr v Shinrone game anyways.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Any word on selectors.

Having good selectors will be very important for Fennelly.