Leinster Club Hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Leinster Club Hurling

Post by Wing Back »

Coolderry take on the Carlow Champs Mount Leinster Rangers in qtr final of Leinster. Leinster looks quite open to me this year now that Cuala are out. New Champions in Wexford, and Ballyhale were very lucky to win Kilkenny, I was at it and they were completely out on their feet in the final. Fitness levels were very suspect. Poor decision making cost Bennetsbridge. I think Ballyboden will be the team to beat....Camross I'd actually fancy to give Naomh Eanna a rattle. They'll have been galvanised by all the abuse they've gotten because of the melee in the Laois final. Could be dark horses to take a scalp or 2.

But Coolderry won't be afraid, They've been there and won Leinster so have the experience. Should hopefully have enough to get over the line this weekend....we can reassess after that.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Leinster Club Hurling

Post by bracknaghboy »

Wing Back wrote:But Coolderry won't be afraid, They've been there and won Leinster so have the experience.
So have Mount Leinster Rangers! Coolderry need to be tuned in here because Carlow no longer fear Offaly and why should they? MLR have half an intercounty team in their ranks. A fully focused Coolderry should win but anything less and it could spell trouble.

King Kev
Intermediate

Post by King Kev »

Half a county team that a fourteen man KK beat by 17 points last year let's not forget. Yes respect your opponent but don't blow them up either. I'd expect a well drilled Coolderry to get the job done on Sunday.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Ballyboden to win it out in Leinster if they get over clonkill. Tired legs after replay.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The county champions from a Liam MacCarthy county versus a Jimmy Cooney cup ranked county.

And James Hickey, famous for the "I WANT to go to Croke Park on Paddy's Day, I WANT it more than anything" bank advert, told us last summer that "Carlow are 10 points better than Offaly and I have no problem in saying that". I suppose that's about it. Right?

Seriously, Coolderry were poor the last time they featured in Leinster. Beaten something like 1-23 to 0-13 or the like, Brian Carroll sent off. I expect they will have amends to make for that episode. That, and reminding James Hickey who's the best team in Bord na Móna Park on Sunday. Hurling speaks louder than words.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The county champions from a Liam MacCarthy county versus a Jimmy Cooney cup ranked county.

And James Hickey, famous for the "I WANT to go to Croke Park on Paddy's Day, I WANT it more than anything" bank advert, told us last summer that "Carlow are 10 points better than Offaly and I have no problem in saying that". I suppose that's about it. Right?

Seriously, Coolderry were poor the last time they featured in Leinster. Beaten something like 1-23 to 0-13 or the like, Brian Carroll sent off. I expect they will have amends to make for that episode. That, and reminding James Hickey who's the best team in Bord na Móna Park on Sunday. Hurling speaks louder than words.
A very dangerous game for Coolderry. Ironic you say that when Offaly are the Joe McDonagh team and Carlow are the McCarthy cup team! By all accounts there was a bit of unrest in the MLR camp last year before KK game which was evident to KK people close by. They will see this as a chance to make a mark again on the hurling world and don't forget that they won Leinster a few years ago so they can't be too bad. If Coolderry are any way off they will be beaten. MLR have some big men and a lot of the Carlow team incl a few good forwards that went very well in 2018.

That said, Coolderry have been very impressive this year and they are a big team down the middle with some classy forwards. If they can get the ball to Carroll and Connolly in space, they will win. If they can't, they will struggle as their scorers outside these are not plentiful. Cathal Parlon could play a big role yet for Coolderry. I Think it will be tighter than people think. Coolderry by 2 or 3 for me.
jimbob

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Super win especially a man down for most of second half. Rangers were extremely dirty I thought in the first 10-12mins they had 5-6 yellow cards. Connolly was outstanding his work rate and score taking was phenomenal, there’s no better in the county. Corcoran in goals had a good day a bit slow at times coming out with ball but his free taking was superb and he made a great save from penalty. When I seen big Joe starting I was scratching my head as I would have saved him for the final 20 mins but he got stuck in up until his finger injury. When Coolderry were down two men they played it smart leaving Carroll in full forward line on his own he ran himself into the ground. Bigger and tougher tests ahead where teams will have a lot more hurling than MLR, but Coolderry can and will mix it with the best. Well done today

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Great win for Coolderry over those absolute knackers!

LooseCannon
All Star

Post by LooseCannon »

allstar2010 wrote:Great win for Coolderry over those absolute knackers!
Can we safely assume that you endorsed Peter Casey :?: ?
Good Luck

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

Delighted walking out of O'Connor park today. Coolderry really had to work hard for it the win. Losing Kevin Brady so early was a huge loss and I was worried as he had broken down a lot of their attacks, but all the lads stepped up to the plate and knuckled down. Bergin got 3 fantastic points especially the last. Probably shouldn't have pulled across the MLR player as it was just about seeing out the game at that stage. It was hard to blame him though.....as they were incredibly unsporting throughout I thought. Im biased I guess though in fairness. Although it was hard to credit that Coolderry were the ones who finished with 2 lads sent off when MLR were the ones .....that other posters point out....who were very dirty.

I watched the delayed coverage of 2nd half once I got home and Brady and Bergin cant complain though, and bergin will be loss the next day. I was very proud of Connolly the way he let his hurling do the talking for all the off the ball stuff he had to take. Steven Burke again was super I thought. Had some tricky customers today and they werent able to live with him running out to any ball. He made an ejit out of the MLR number 10 in 2nd half with him not knowing which way Burke had gone. Corcoran was very good again in goals. His long range free raking was the difference in the 1st half....a serious weapon for Coolderry to have in the locker. Carroll again was very good and worked tirelessly. He covered an awful lot of ground in the 2nd half. He took some lovely scores but also set up lots aswell for Connolly and one for Molloy too. Conor Molloy came into the game more and more.....got 2 lovely scores and set Carroll up for the goal. I'd imagine Cathal Parlon will start the next day instead of Bergin.

On MLR, they had some good hurlers as well and started like a train. They were incredibly accurate in 1st half and I don't remember them hitting any wides at all. If they concentrated more on their hurling and less on the nasty stuff....they would have been better served. I admired them in 2013 and was delighted for them winning Leinster before getting to club showpiece...but didn't like what I saw from a number of their fellas today and was very satisfied beating them.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Watched the TG4 coverage and Brady was blessed not to get a straight red for the wild pull. Ironically, the first yellow that was dubious actually saved him getting a straight red, as it was an easy option for the ref to reach for a second yellow.
Coolderry were sharp with their striking and touch today and their speed off the mark for breaking ball was impressive. Best of luck to them in the next round.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Looking at the footage when I got home there’s no doubt both were red cards, but looking at the first 10 -12 mins there were Coolderry players down all over the pitch with 5-6 yellow cards for Rangers players. The full back was lucky not to get more for a blatant pull on a shoulder, Brady needs to keep the head the next day as he is the spine of this team playing in a vital position and a man down against a better team would have serious consequences.

Wing Back
County player

Post by Wing Back »

llkj wrote:Watched the TG4 coverage and Brady was blessed not to get a straight red for the wild pull. Ironically, the first yellow that was dubious actually saved him getting a straight red, as it was an easy option for the ref to reach for a second yellow.
Coolderry were sharp with their striking and touch today and their speed off the mark for breaking ball was impressive. Best of luck to them in the next round.
Brady was lucky alright. Better to learn his lesson in that game than against better opposition as has been said.

Does anyone know how the home or away venue is decided in the Semi final?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

By the looks of it, it's first out of the hat. BSE v Clonkill is listed as 'game 1', Coolderry v MLR listed as 'game 2' on the Leinster Council site, with the winners of game 1 being at home. It's not on a 'home and away' basis anyway, as this is the second successive year the Carlow champions have travelled to Tullamore.
http://leinstergaa.ie/competitions/aib- ... ship-2017/

I don't agree with the 'first out of the hat' policy, you could win 5 in a row and theoretically have to travel to Wexford every year of the five.

Anyway, even if it was on a 'home and away' basis, Coolderry would still have to travel to Parnell Park for the semi-final as the last Offaly v Dublin tie was 2015's Coolderry v Cuala one which was in Tullamore.
Wing Back wrote:Does anyone know how the home or away venue is decided in the Semi final?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

@Wing Back, does Coolderry parish border county Laois to the east, and if it does, what club is on the Laois side - is it Camross?