Defunct clubs

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
hamstrings
Junior A

Defunct clubs

Post by hamstrings »

Just seen a club in Cork called redmonds has now ceased to keep operating.
Just wondering is there many clubs through the years to disband in offaly?
Just seen a few names on the roll of honour like quarrymount that obviously don't exist anymore. Usually plain of the herbs good for this info

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Defunct clubs

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suppose, because of the parish rule, everywhere is going to have a club attached to that territory, so defunct clubs are going to be 'breakaway' clubs that operated for a few years, or a decade, before dissolving back into a bigger club in the parish, or being part of a merger.

I will return to this at a later date as it is a fascinating subject and I'm particularly busy at this time of year, but to start the discussion: -

Killeigh and Killurin (now merged as Clodiagh Gaels)
The original Ballyskenagh and Killavilla clubs, now merged.

Going further back in time -
Were Éire Óg a parish team, or were they just Walsh Island?

Shannon Harbour and Ballivor, now part of St Rynagh's. Come to think of it, you could include Banagher and Cloghan here too.
Blackwood Rovers reached about four Junior hurling finals in the 1950s and 1960s. I think they were from Rahan parish, though near enough to the Blue Ball, and merged with Rahan forming St Carthage's.
Come to think of it, Mucklagh were a club too, before merging to form Shamrocks.

Brosna were a breakaway from Shinrone (I think). There was a Corlanty from around Shinrone in the 1950s too.

Eglish broke away from Drumcullen for a time, winning Junior and Intermediate in 1938 and 1939 respectively and playing Senior for a few years after.
Kilcolman did likewise, after they broke from Coolderry for a time.

On the football side, Tinnycross had a club once. Something tells me there was a Ballyglass from somewhere. St Mary's seem to have became Raheen somewhere along the line.

But I will return to this in time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

St Columbas to Durrow

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Ballyglass were a club in Daingean Parish.

Eire Og football team in the Walsh Island area, they may have represented the whole parish. Clonbullogoe, Bracknagh, and Walsh Island are football teams in Clonbullogue Parish.

St. Mary's were the football end of Killeigh Parish, Killeigh representing the hurling side. St. Mary's won 2 Offaly SFC titles, and were based in the Geashill/ Cloneygowan area. They are now called Raheen, previously called Killeigh Raheen.

Blackwood Rovers,and Mucklagh, were former clubs in Rahan Parish, representing those areas of the parish. St. Cartage's were the parish team. There may have been a team once in The Island, but no doubt a Rahan native will confirm this.

Na Piarsaigh were a forerunner of Kilcormac/ Killoughey.

North Portarlington were the predecessors of Gracefield.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just on this - here are some of the clubs listed on the official adult rolls of honour in the county, ones that don't currently exist:

Hurling

Cadamstown
Fortal
Eglish
Kilcolman
St. Carthage's
St. Flannan's
St. Saran's
White Rovers
St. Columba's
Mount Heaton
Lockeen
Gortnamona
Brosna
As well as Killeigh, Killoughey, Ballyskenach, Rahan, Banagher, Cloghan, Ferbane, Killavilla, Kilcormac and Mucklagh.

Football
St. Mary's
St. Patrick's
Quarrymount
St. Coleman's
Na Piarsaigh
Wheery
St. Kieran's
Delvin
And Geashill, Cloghan, Banagher, Clonmore, Cloneygowan, and a few others that are already listed on the hurling list above.

I'm not a great historian, but it might be a decent start to attribute most of those - albeit the majority are intuitive.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Here goes, off the top of me head and I didn't peek!: -

(there are two distinct time periods here, one before 1909 when the parish rule was introduced to Offaly, and one thereafter)

Cadamstown - in Kinnitty parish, and have played with KInnitty since the parish rule introduction.
Fortal - a townland on the Clareen side of Clonoghill cemetery on the Clareen road out of Birr, drew from Birr, Clareen and that general area. would have became defunct following the parish rule introduction.
Eglish - discussed in my post of Friday evening, a club from the Eglish side of Drumcullen (someone once told me Drumcullen is a townland in Eglish-Rath-Killyon parish that did not have any inhabitants at the time of that club's foundation).
St Carthage's - the name adapted by the Rahan parish team after Blackwood Rovers and RAhan reunited around 1965.
St Flannan's - a Kinnitty/Clareen amalgamation of the 1950s (rural depopulation and all that).
St Saran's - Belmont for a time from (perhaps) the late 1970s until the mid 1990s.
White Rovers - Crinkill in the 1950s
St Columba's - Durrow until the early 2000s, when the present arrangement with Ballinamere, where they hurl as Ballinamere and kick football as Durrow began. Ballinamere were Ballinamere-Kilbride for a year around 2002 when they were distinct and separate clubs. The Durrow who won the Senior football championship in 1952 were a breakaway Tullamore club (see Pat Nolan's book on the Furlongs for further info) and I do believe St Columba's did their own thing alongside that Durrow club.
Mount Heaton - an early name for Ballyskenagh.
Lockeen - a townland in Carrig & Riverstown territory under which C&R hurled for a time in the 1930s or thereabouts.
Gortnamona - not sure, is this around Killoughey, Blueball?
Brosna - in Shinrone parish, a breakaway club, discussed Friday evening above.

St Mary's - Searing Drive has dealt with this above.
St Patrick's - an amalgamation of Gracefield and St Mary's (now Raheen) who won the Senior football championship in 1959, enabling Dónie Hanlon to captain Offaly in 1960.
Quarrymount - in Killeigh parish, there is a piece on this club in either 2017's or 2016's Senior county final programme.
St Coleman's - dunno.
Na Piarsaigh - the first effort at a Kilcormac-Killoughey merger, lasted from 1970 to 1978 or 1979.
Wheery - Ferbane parish for U21 football.
St Kieran's - Shannonbridge parish team, should arguably have been St Ciaran's.
Delvin - no idea, but at a guess is Ferbane.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Quarrymount article in 2017 Senior Football final programme. The club were asked just over the Laois border from Killeigh.
They had a mix of players from Tullamore, Killeigh, and Tullamore, winning the Offaly championship in 1901. They played in
Corbett's field, which was in Offaly.

St. Coleman's were a Daingean Parish side I think. Someone from the Daingean area will no doubt put me right.

Who were Sons of Erin? They were a hurling team in the early years of the 20th century.
Gortnamona is a townland near Pallas Lake, in Killoughey Parish.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

St. Kieran's had 2 existances,

First in the 1930's/40's ( & possibly earlier) now Shannonbridge...

The second coming as it were was in the Fifties when an Intermediate team played under the name drawing players from Doon and the Clonfinlough part of Shannonbridge (or should it be Clonmacnoise Parish) ....I believe the use of the name was a sop to County Board and to assuage another club who claimed the right to the players from that Parish or to engineer transfers. I did hear, back in the day, that the Clonfinlough players were officially allowed to only play with St Kierans, but in reality the they played with Doon in Junior and the same players played Intermediate as St Kierans... This dual role may have played a part in the events of 1959 after trouble at a St Kierans v St Patricks Intermediate game in Cappincur and a Doon v Erins Rovers game in Ferbane....

After CB ordered re-fixtures for both these games St Kierans/Doon refused to play them and were out of existance for some years. some animosity with the Reverend Chairperson of the time did not help affairs. The club meeting at which it was decided not to turn-up for those refixtures was the first GAA meeting I attended (it was help in my parents house).

I tried a few years back to find out if in fact St Kierans and or Doon were suspended but hit a brick wall.

Doon manged, despite the Reverend Gentleman, to affiliate in 1964 to the then South Offaly Board led by the famous Mr Carroll from Shinrone.

St Kierans are still waiting to be brought back to life !!!!!!!!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Sons of Erin, apparently, were from Eglish parish (so Drumcullen).
SearingDrive wrote:Who were Sons of Erin? They were a hurling team in the early years of the 20th century.
Gortnamona is a townland near Pallas Lake, in Killoughey Parish.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I recently discovered another now-defunct club I hadn't came across before. Millane Mellows operated in the 1940s. Surnames like Rohan, Currams, Egan, Lehane, Daly, Ryan, Pillion would indicate they hailed from Leamonaghan parish. Ryot, any thoughts?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

them names sound maybe more doon like?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

hamstrings wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:12 pm Just seen a club in Cork called redmonds has now ceased to keep operating.
Just wondering is there many clubs through the years to disband in offaly?
Just seen a few names on the roll of honour like quarrymount that obviously don't exist anymore. Usually plain of the herbs good for this info
Quarry mount were in Co. Laois, just across the county boundary from Killeigh. Theywon the Offaly SF title in 1901. While based in Laois, they played in what was called Corbett’s field, but in Co. Offaly. Their players were from both counties, and their achievement is remembered in a plaque in Quarrymount.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

While Rohan, Ryan and Pillion are Doon names, Currams and Lehane would be associated with Ballycumber. So it appears to be a Leamonaghan parish team.
biffinbanner wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:19 am them names sound maybe more doon like?

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

Millane Mellowes were a parish side. The names used by parishes are often a movable feast. The parish has been variously labelled Ballinahown/ Lemonaghan/ Millane . Barney Mellowes brother of Liam and a notable revolutionary in his own right was supposed to be a frequent visitor to Bellair before his untimely death in 1942.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thanks WG. Brilliant!