Defunct clubs

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Defunct clubs

Post by ryot »

Millane Mellowes: I am not sure of what year/years it existed but I believe the name was chosen to reflect a Ballycumber/Bellair identity but that was a ruse to hide its real identity as DOON, who once again had some dispute with County Board--- and yes the Rohan/Ryan/Pillion names reflect the true identity....... I also suspect that the registered Club Officers were bogus and while they may have been real people the use of their names may not even have been know to themselves.. While as a child I heard many tales on Doon's travails it was only in very recent times that I heard of Millane Mellowes. It may have been the years 1935/40 apprx when some Doon players played with Ballycumber or after 1949 when my source was not living in the area for a few years up to 1955.

I would, like Plain of Herbs & others, love to hear the real story especially as I have lived away from Doon for over 50 years.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm St. Coleman's were a Daingean Parish side I think. Someone from the Daingean area will no doubt put me right.
Yes, St.Colmans were the U21 Daingean Parish team that preceeded St.Vincents. Operated as a senior team on and off in the 50's+60's but used primarily since then for the U21 team as the 4 clubs stabelised. St.Vincents started to run underage up to Minor but Colemans stayed for a while until all underage ran under the St.Vincents umbrella.

I believe there was a Sarsfields team in around 80's, a loose combination that used a couple of Ballycomon players, and Daingean to Ballyfore and maybe Clonmore Harps, a kind of East Offaly. Might have just been a tournament effort but I heard of it a few times.

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

Mellowes operated from around 1944 for about four or five years. They were designed to allow players from Doon, Ballycumber and Erin Rovers to play Junior with their own club and Senior with Millane. The name may or may not have been provided by Tom Keena.
Con Lehane NT of Ballycumber appears have been heavily involved. I think the Lowrys of Ballycumber, uncles of the later Ferbane players lined out. Doon and Erin Rovers had played in the 1943 South Offaly Junior Final. I believe Ballycumber played their football in the North Offaly division.
There was a long standing 'Gentleman's Agreement' between Ferbane/Wheery and Erin Rovers. At the time most of the Erin Rovers players were from Turraun in Wheery parish and the agreement allowed for this. There was some issues as to the agreement covering another team. Turraun Peat Works was in its heyday at the time.
Sarfields played Senior in 1990, with players from St Brigids, Ballyfore, Clonmore and Ballycommon; their attempt to affiliate in 1992 including a number of teams was refused

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The St Coleman's referred to on page 1 of this thread were the one who won Intermediate football in 1958. They operated at Senior grade for few years following that championship success. They were centred around Cappincur but wouldn't have been a parish team as Daingean were Senior throughout that period.
Geansai Gorm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:34 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm St. Coleman's were a Daingean Parish side I think. Someone from the Daingean area will no doubt put me right.
Yes, St.Colmans were the U21 Daingean Parish team that preceeded St.Vincents. Operated as a senior team on and off in the 50's+60's but used primarily since then for the U21 team as the 4 clubs stabelised. St.Vincents started to run underage up to Minor but Colemans stayed for a while until all underage ran under the St.Vincents umbrella.

I believe there was a Sarsfields team in around 80's, a loose combination that used a couple of Ballycomon players, and Daingean to Ballyfore and maybe Clonmore Harps, a kind of East Offaly. Might have just been a tournament effort but I heard of it a few times.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

What GAA areas does Wheery take in that Ferbane / Belmont doesn't encompass?

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:53 pm What GAA areas does Wheery take in that Ferbane / Belmont doesn't encompass?
Think it's the old parish name for ferbane in 1800's, same boundaries as Ferbane belmount but wheery is ferbane side of the parish

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

Just like lemonaghan-Millane- Ballinahown the parish name can vary from Wheery and Tisaran or killagally and Tisaran or Ferbane and Belmont
Instead of using a Saint’ Wheery is usually used when amalgamation occurred or when Ferbane used permission players as a sort of non controversial name. examples being the u21 teams of the 90s when Belmont had a football side or Birr in 2007 final or at present with Shannonbridge. Always understood there were some conditions around naming to allow those independent teams. I had imagined similar situation existed around St Patrick’s St Michael’s and St Brendan’s. There was some discussion behind the use of the use of Gaels beside Ballinamere instead of St Davids in 2011.However, it may be a custom rather than a precondition. I am not 100% sure the the St Rynaghs u21 hurling team used any additional title in 2012. Although it is quiet possible Gaels or Og was used.
I would imagine that “independent teams” are a regulation mine field

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Yes, there is some bye-law around using alterations to club names in the case of amalgamations. So it was indeed St Rynagh's Óg who won that U21 in 2012. Kilcormac-Killoughey Gaels (K-K and Drumcullen) reached 2008's U21 hurling final which they lost to Seir Kieran. And Seir Kieran Óg reached the U21 deciders of 2009 and 2010.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

I remember my father told me years ago that certain clubs would be set up especially at underage, as they were recognised as a club when it came to getting All Ireland tickets that they were entitled, he said it caused uproar as one small club had a cute secretary and had multiple team names, this compared to Tullamore who didn’t get a fraction of the allocated tickets.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:37 pm Yes, there is some bye-law around using alterations to club names in the case of amalgamations. So it was indeed St Rynagh's Óg who won that U21 in 2012. Kilcormac-Killoughey Gaels (K-K and Drumcullen) reached 2008's U21 hurling final which they lost to Seir Kieran. And Seir Kieran Óg reached the U21 deciders of 2009 and 2010.
Seir Kieran Óg I had never heard of. Who were they with?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Seir Kieran, Drumcullen and Keith Mullally. Beaten by Kilcormac-Killoughey in 2009's U21 final, while the following year it took three games before Coolderry beat the combination in the final's second replay.
frankthetank wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:12 pm Seir Kieran Óg I had never heard of. Who were they with?