Un Cambio Es Bueno

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Re: Un Cambio Es Bueno

Post by Offalys Future »

Buck Face wrote:Hear hear....

Offaly's Future - how do you know the plan or recent reviews were badly laid out when you weren't even aware of their existence?

The review at the end of 2012 and the recent club health checks were very professional.
ah yes the great plans that nobody is aware of there existence bar yourself.
A review that took place at end of 2012? Again where are the documents that were implemented after this review?

You people are so far out of your dept its unreal.
where is the Offaly strategic plan that you said existed? I have asked my secretary and county board delegate and neither are aware of such a thing.

as for the laois man he should just mind his own business.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Ah yes , this is the OF that we all missed!

Also OF, just to clarify, Club Secretary's dont go to CB meetings, and delegates are part of the problem, without doubt.

Keep posting Suckin Diesel, OF, what did he say that merits him being to "mob"? This chap is a fair minded person.

And Buck Face, could you talk to someone relevant in the CB and see if they can put the review on the Offaly website where we can all view it, or direct us to how we can get our hands on it?

Buck Face
Senior
Club: Mullingar

Post by Buck Face »

Yeah Laois man , Offaly's Future doesn't want don't any external contributions! :D

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

Offaly hurling is dying before our own eyes and this Buck Face wum is trying to pretend every thing is great because of some mystical report that nobody except for his goodself even knows exists. :roll:

Buck Face
Senior

Post by Buck Face »

Where have I said everything is great? It is far from it.

You are missing my point completely. There is simply nothing novel in recommending we carry out plans or reviews. We have being carrying out reviews and we had a strategic plan (which as I've said is just a dust gatherer) but plans and reviews alone will not improve things. It doesn't matter how good a plan is if people don't engage with it.

We need to change how we do things. We need people to realise that the county board is not some high and mighty place where decisions/plans/reviews etc are imposed on clubs but that it is a fundamental part of what we are. It represents us, if it's sh@t then it is merely a reflection on us, if it's functioning well then that is also a reflection on us (at the minute it doesn't reflect well on us unfortunately).

We need to fix the broken link between the county board and the clubs/people on the ground. At least then reviews or plans should be acted upon and things just might get better.

So instead of pointing fingers go and get involved.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

"We need to fix the broken link between the county board and the clubs/people on the ground. At least then reviews or plans should be acted upon and things just might get better".
So instead of pointing fingers go and get involved.

Think that sums it up, Buckface is not too far off the mark but would be great if main recent reviews , plans were put up on the Offaly site, and people could see for themselves have at least the problems been identified.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Great discussion all.

Offaly's Future - never lose that passion or faith. Use it in the rest of your life activities too.

Buck Face - as someone who has been prepared to be "on the inside", I give you serious credit for getting involved. I had a little experience at some Bord na nOg County Board meetings in Kildare. On the basis that there is likely to be some similarity to Board meetings in Offaly, it seriously tested my patience and faith in any real progress being done at that time. My interest was underage Hurlers. It was clear the majority interest was the progress of the big clubs in their preferred code; Football.

Maybe the Offaly County Board is different.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Postby Ahlethimoutwithit » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 am

Ah yes , this is the OF that we all missed!

Also OF, just to clarify, Club Secretary's dont go to CB meetings, and delegates are part of the problem, without doubt.
I was involved with a club ( not in Offaly) for 30 years and it solved that problem....................

Brought in a club rule :::: We had 2 Delegates .......... Rule was: One of them was the Club Sec and if he/she was unavailable the Club Chairperson was the sub............ I was the other delegate for some years, dropped out for a while and then took on the job for a year in leadup to becoming Sec for 5 years...............

The days of sending Micky J to CB has to end...............

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

not necessarily

if a club has a delegate, that should be their ONLY job.
but they must attend club meetings and be able to stand up and communicate at a big meeting.
if club officers have to go to every meeting they soon get burned out. I've been there.
only the best...

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

I have now asked 3 club secretaries and two people who are delegates on the county board.
None of them can point me in the direction of a strategic plan for Offaly GAA.

You can't make progress and look for more involvement and engagement with clubs and hurling people of Offaly if you don't have a plan.
this is incredible stuff.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

You need a plan.
In Offaly at the moment there is no plan. What's the county boards 5 year plan? there isn't one. And if there is its not documented.

The days are gone when a manager can come in achieve success with poor structures.
I am now calling for an external review of Offaly GAA.
I would ask any county board delegates that have access to this forum that at the next county board meeting demand this.

Otherwise we are wasting our time and money competing at any level at inter county for the foreseeable future.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Another awful week for Offaly hurling and the most active forum post is about a supporter on tv in an Offaly jersey.

Jesus we really are near rock bottom. Offaly hurling has become irrelevant to most.

Buck Face
Senior

Post by Buck Face »

Fortunately this isn’t, contrary to what some people seem to think, the forum where Offaly GAA business actually takes place.

It is however very welcome news that Dermot Healy has taken up an ambassadorial role in devising and implementing a hurling coaching programme for all Offaly clubs (which seems to be just a part of his scope of work).

A committee, under Dermot's stewardship, has been formed and is currently putting together a plan for Offaly hurling. The findings will be presented at an open forum in Dooly’s Hotel on the 10th of September this year.

The opportunity is there for every individual, every club and the county board itself to get involved in and support this plan/review to ensure that it doesn’t end up on the shelf like previous attempts.

Given Dermot Healy’s track record one cannot but live in hope. Uibh Fhailí abú.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

"in devising and implementing a hurling coaching programme for all Offaly clubs (which seems to be just a part of his scope of work)."

This will actually be one of the key parts of development. In my opinion it will be the changes in atitude that takes place in the clubs that will drive change in the quality of the players coming through.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Plus would be beneficial to see the same outline being done for football.

hopper82
Junior A

Post by hopper82 »

Buck Face wrote:It is however very welcome news that Dermot Healy has taken up an ambassadorial role in devising and implementing a hurling coaching programme for all Offaly clubs (which seems to be just a part of his scope of work).

A committee, under Dermot's stewardship, has been formed and is currently putting together a plan for Offaly hurling. The findings will be presented at an open forum in Dooly’s Hotel on the 10th of September this year.

The opportunity is there for every individual, every club and the county board itself to get involved in and support this plan/review to ensure that it doesn’t end up on the shelf like previous attempts.
This is such a positive step , if it is true of course .

Hopefully all clubs including non traditional hurling clubs and the county board really get behind this.

Dermot was involved with liaising with clubs in Dublin hurling in the early 20s where he "reviewed the training sessions currently undertaken; club/school links; fixtures; refereeing; competitions; dual players; intercounty issues". The results speak for themselves.
http://www.bodengaa.ie/news/dermot_heal ... 3.375.html

Dermot was given a role in Offaly in 2012 in accordance with the national hurling development plan: http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/reaffirm ... 01003.html however I don't think much came of this unless someone can tell me different ?

It would be so sad to see his expertise wasted if we don't learn from his findings and it enables us to create a strategic plan .