Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2014

Post by sam88885a »

sharp eye i would prefer to have most big hurling games in birr too but its not the venue that is the problem especially at inter county level .
the style of hurling, they poor standard of hurling , lack of game plans, badly trained teams with no team spirit and clueless manager at all levels , managers that fail to bring up to 20 of our best hurlers , managers that dont belive in players and see no potental there only seen faults .
county board that seem intrested in power rather that development of hurling . it was clear last year by ignored d owens and only giving the late d hogan 8 weeks to prepair the u 21 they county board didnt care .
these are the reasons why supporters stay at home .
if thing dont change we will only need a bus for our home supporter .
if there is quality hurling played people will come wherther it birr or tullamore

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

The lads above sum up the weekend very well.
They only a few thing i like to add.
Kilcormac Killoughey vs Ballinmere. Ballinamere were really up for this and got stuck in from the start. a little too stuck in and their midfield was lucky to stay on the field after he struck Keilly on the arm about 5 mins after been booked.
Paddy Murphy and Kilmartin were outstanding. Paddy Murphy should been on the Offaly panel this year and he was missed and he was missed last year by the U21.
The one thing that let down Ballinamere was some of the players striking on their weak side. Something to work on for next year for the coach, To take them for top 7 to top 4.

Rynagh Vs Belmont. Rynagh were the better team from start to finish. Stephen Wynee and Dermot Shortt at centre back was outstanding. The send off was just so silly. Connally should have more sense. Belmont losing Mark Egan and David Kenny didn't help them but in fairness they were a mess before that. they look like a team low on confidence and not use to or happy with the style of hurling they were playing. Belmont were all in heap in the half forward line and midfield. As for the extra man i'm not even sure where he played.

Cooderry Vs Shirone. Shirone tried to match up to Cooderry physical and got their arse handed to them. it was stupid. they dropped a forward out into middle and tried to crowd midfield and the Big and Stronger Coolderry lads distoryed them. Hurling isn't Shirone problem. they need to keep away from the physical stuff, a 5'10, 12 stone, 21 year old running into a 6'3, 15 stone 29 years old is only going to result in one winner. Coolderry were an well oiled machine. Joe Brady at centre back won and used the ball well. Still load to Work on for them. The less said about Parlon Sideline cuts the better.

Birr Vs Seir Keiran. Keiran were miles the better team But let start with the Birr team selection. Hanniffy at full back ahead of the young man that has been their all year was horse shit. We talk about bring on young players. Decision like this bug the shit out of me. Hynes has been improving all year. Dropping him Off the team for the biggest match of the year was a really poor decision. No believe in the young player.
If ever a club need its coaches, management and some players need to go on a training course and an attitude adjustment its Birr.
I fear they be talking about the one great team they produced for the next 50 years but that Birr for you.
Adiran Hynes was excellent, Brave, strong and determined. The only Birr forward to make an inroads was Cahill. All the Clareen backs were excellent. Brian Mullurroy head high tackle wasn't good but i give him the benefit and say that the hurl slip up the shoulder and ended up around the neck.

For the 1st time in years all 4 favourite win at the 1/4 final stage.

As for St Brendan Park. I like the stadium but only Birr could fight to get games and them have dirty facility. Jesus the floor in the toilet must have never have been washed, Washed my hands and nothing to dry them with. The toilets themselves were in a poor state. The pitch itself was in OK condition but it a good bit behind Rath and O'Connor Park.
Birr want matches they need to do the work to make it a good experience. A clean bathroon and a little soap would be nice.
“Common sense is not so common.”

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Tox you are always trying to find fault In Birr going on about the toilets now you never have anything good to say about the club so I will dismiss any further comments you make about Birr.Regarding Birrs performance it was brutal but everyone knows Birr have a panel of players who are capable of better and for me they are not as bad as they were shown up to be like if Rory Hannify, Paul Cleary Emmet Nolan and Colm Mulrooney hurled well and Birr were beaten you could say yes the better side are after winning but the thing is birr are just not performing.The same team was in a county final last year at the end of the day and they beat the same Clareen 15 in a league final a few weeks ago.Yes there is issues around the team that need to be fixed but to say that team is finished is a bit much.The Coolderry team are alot older than the birr team and I don't hear people saying that the coolderry team are finished. Also why people keep referring to Paul cleary as old I don't know he is 27 most hurlers are at the prime of there career at that age..There is issues but they can be fixed.kk for the county final as I think coolderrys back line is not good enough while clareen and banagher are just not good enough.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Ah Jayz Babs, he is entitled to pass a comment. Sure he's not going to make it up. As a paying punter he is entitled to expect reasonable toilets. No shortage of clean toilets and driers in OCP :wink:

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Sharp Eye wrote: Pat Horan is as you state "an ex-referee" and is now "a paying customer" at Offaly GAA Matches. Pat Horan is fully entitled to attend or not attend any match at any venue that he may wish to do so. Your response is typical of the Offaly County Board's attitude to its customers. If the Offaly Co Board had any interest in attracting people to games ("paying customers") they would not have fixed the Birr v Shinrone group hurling championship game in O'Connor Park, Tullamore. Some people are still surprised at the poor attendances at our games. In Business "THE CUSTOMER is ALWAYS RIGHT.
Excuse me, he is not a paying customer because he was let in the gate for free. That's one of the main reasons that Birr are hosting the county final anymore.

I agree with you. The group match betwen Birr and Shinrone should not have been in OCP. Its stupid bringing two teams their for a group match. But its shouldn't be in Birr either, just like Birrs quarter final shouldn't have been in Birr. Why should Birr get home advantage?!

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

lads i over heard two men complaining about the cost to watch sundays quarter finals in birr . only to hear them both saying they were over 65 and were free other than that the would have stayed athome . how do u win

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

babsandbond wrote:Tox you are always trying to find fault In Birr going on about the toilets now you never have anything good to say about the club so I will dismiss any further comments you make about Birr.Regarding Birrs performance it was brutal but everyone knows Birr have a panel of players who are capable of better and for me they are not as bad as they were shown up to be like if Rory Hannify, Paul Cleary Emmet Nolan and Colm Mulrooney hurled well and Birr were beaten you could say yes the better side are after winning but the thing is birr are just not performing.The same team was in a county final last year at the end of the day and they beat the same Clareen 15 in a league final a few weeks ago.Yes there is issues around the team that need to be fixed but to say that team is finished is a bit much.The Coolderry team are alot older than the birr team and I don't hear people saying that the coolderry team are finished. Also why people keep referring to Paul cleary as old I don't know he is 27 most hurlers are at the prime of there career at that age..There is issues but they can be fixed.kk for the county final as I think coolderrys back line is not good enough while clareen and banagher are just not good enough.
Aw Bads. You watch a lot of Birr. Do you think that The young full back deserved to be dropped and do you think that Rory Hanniffy is a better Full back than Cleary or Hynes?? My problem with Birr isn't that they don't have the hurlers. its that they don't develop then correctly.

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Tox eoin hayes played in the div 2 league final the week before and was carried off the field when he went over on his ankle he went for an x-ray and there was fears his ankle was broke luckily enough it wasnt but he couldnt train all week.Birr played st thomas of galway that weekend and hayes couldn't play and hannify played full back and played well someone had to be dropped and i suppose the fact there was question marks over his fitness johnny decided to drop him cos of that.I think he would of been the right man for hynes...look Birr didn't see this coming they as a team are under performing and i think everyone knows that.To say this team are gone is not a correct statement.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kaiserchief wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote: Pat Horan is as you state "an ex-referee" and is now "a paying customer" at Offaly GAA Matches. Pat Horan is fully entitled to attend or not attend any match at any venue that he may wish to do so. Your response is typical of the Offaly County Board's attitude to its customers. If the Offaly Co Board had any interest in attracting people to games ("paying customers") they would not have fixed the Birr v Shinrone group hurling championship game in O'Connor Park, Tullamore. Some people are still surprised at the poor attendances at our games. In Business "THE CUSTOMER is ALWAYS RIGHT.
Excuse me, he is not a paying customer because he was let in the gate for free. That's one of the main reasons that Birr are hosting the county final anymore.

I agree with you. The group match betwen Birr and Shinrone should not have been in OCP. Its stupid bringing two teams their for a group match. But its shouldn't be in Birr either, just like Birrs quarter final shouldn't have been in Birr. Why should Birr get home advantage?!

theres many a person does not pay into o'connor park either

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:The lads above sum up the weekend very well.
They only a few thing i like to add.
Kilcormac Killoughey vs Ballinmere. Ballinamere were really up for this and got stuck in from the start. a little too stuck in and their midfield was lucky to stay on the field after he struck Keilly on the arm about 5 mins after been booked.
Paddy Murphy and Kilmartin were outstanding. Paddy Murphy should been on the Offaly panel this year and he was missed and he was missed last year by the U21.
The one thing that let down Ballinamere was some of the players striking on their weak side. Something to work on for next year for the coach, To take them for top 7 to top 4.

Rynagh Vs Belmont. Rynagh were the better team from start to finish. Stephen Wynee and Dermot Shortt at centre back was outstanding. The send off was just so silly. Connally should have more sense. Belmont losing Mark Egan and David Kenny didn't help them but in fairness they were a mess before that. they look like a team low on confidence and not use to or happy with the style of hurling they were playing. Belmont were all in heap in the half forward line and midfield. As for the extra man i'm not even sure where he played.

Cooderry Vs Shirone. Shirone tried to match up to Cooderry physical and got their arse handed to them. it was stupid. they dropped a forward out into middle and tried to crowd midfield and the Big and Stronger Coolderry lads distoryed them. Hurling isn't Shirone problem. they need to keep away from the physical stuff, a 5'10, 12 stone, 21 year old running into a 6'3, 15 stone 29 years old is only going to result in one winner. Coolderry were an well oiled machine. Joe Brady at centre back won and used the ball well. Still load to Work on for them. The less said about Parlon Sideline cuts the better.

Birr Vs Seir Keiran. Keiran were miles the better team But let start with the Birr team selection. Hanniffy at full back ahead of the young man that has been their all year was horse shit. We talk about bring on young players. Decision like this bug the shit out of me. Hynes has been improving all year. Dropping him Off the team for the biggest match of the year was a really poor decision. No believe in the young player.
If ever a club need its coaches, management and some players need to go on a training course and an attitude adjustment its Birr.
I fear they be talking about the one great team they produced for the next 50 years but that Birr for you.
Adiran Hynes was excellent, Brave, strong and determined. The only Birr forward to make an inroads was Cahill. All the Clareen backs were excellent. Brian Mullurroy head high tackle wasn't good but i give him the benefit and say that the hurl slip up the shoulder and ended up around the neck.

For the 1st time in years all 4 favourite win at the 1/4 final stage.

As for St Brendan Park. I like the stadium but only Birr could fight to get games and them have dirty facility. Jesus the floor in the toilet must have never have been washed, Washed my hands and nothing to dry them with. The toilets themselves were in a poor state. The pitch itself was in OK condition but it a good bit behind Rath and O'Connor Park.
Birr want matches they need to do the work to make it a good experience. A clean bathroon and a little soap would be nice.

do you sit down to piss toxic city your like a woman giving out about toilets, so a nice place to piss is the answer to offalys hurling problems, why don't you ring into Joe Duffy show thats the place where you will meet the likes of yourself something to moan about,

sam88885a
All Star

Post by sam88885a »

townman i think u missed tox point birr needed to make a good impression . so the county board couldnt say o connor park is better .little things like p a system was poor , toilets poor only give boland and excuse . i want hurling back in birr and i guess tox does too . these are little thing that with attention to detail can be corrected

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote:do you sit down to piss toxic city your like a woman giving out about toilets, so a nice place to piss is the answer to offalys hurling problems, why don't you ring into Joe Duffy show thats the place where you will meet the likes of yourself something to moan about,
No i don't sit down to piss but i do to shit. unlike you magic man.

If you read anything i've said about this you know that i want Hurling in Birr.

That doesn't mean that Birr can put 4 lads on the gate. take in the money and not look after the facility.

An Hour One Person,a mop and a pack of Paper towels would have make the place excellent But Birr Club didn't do the simple little thing. That frustration.

The Normal Birr Attitude of We have a god give right to this and it doesn't matter what we do is dissapointing.

Birr Fans, Birr Gaa Club and Birr hurling all need to grow up.

If you want the privilege of hosting Offaly Hurling Matches that come with the responsibility of looking after the supporters.

As for your comment about Been a Woman. Half the population of Offaly is women.
every hurler has a mother.
What is Mark Twain said
“What would men be without women? Scarce, sir...mighty scarce.”

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Cant believe the talk about bendans park v OCP is still ongoing. Birr is in no fit state to host the top club games never mind county games. OCP is a top class facility.

Yes its a bit of an inconvenience to travel from the south. But lads I have to say I hurled most of my championship games in the south against teams 5 minutes down the road. Nobody was too worried about us "footballers" who had to travel. Like it or not that was the view.

birr needs to get that pitch and facilities into decent condition before it should host county finals. Its grand for earlier games as a neutral ground for teams closer to birr. Common sense with fixtures and fair play is all that is needed. Birr and shinrone should not of had to travel to tullamore for a group game. County finals a different story.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Cant believe the talk about brendans park v OCP is still ongoing. Birr is in no fit state to host the top club games never mind county games. OCP is a top class facility.

Yes its a bit of an inconvenience to travel from the south. But lads I have to say I hurled most of my championship games in the south against teams 5 minutes down the road. Nobody was too worried about us "footballers" who had to travel. Like it or not that was the view.

birr needs to get that pitch and facilities into decent condition before it should host county finals. Its grand for earlier games as a neutral ground for teams closer to birr. Common sense with fixtures and fair play is all that is needed. Birr and shinrone should not of had to travel to tullamore for a group game. County finals a different story.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Townman, you dont have make it hard to have any time for your views here. A reasonably clean jacks is surely a minimum. And the fact that ye cant even dispute how unfit for purpose shows how pointless your attack on Tox is.

I loved travelling to Birr for matches and will do so again. But lets face it the new ticketing system in Tullamore has made it tighter financially, plus it was common knowledge all over the county that the takings were not what they should have been out of Birr over the years.