football championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: football championship 2014

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If two teams are level then placings are decided on head-to-head.

If three or more teams are level on points then placings are decided by scoring difference on the first hand. There is one exception to this, where a walkover has taken place. Then a playoff is to be played.

See section 6.20 (5) on page 82 on the link
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/pub ... _Part1.pdf
Offalyabu wrote:Could someone please tell me in the event of two or more teams being tied on points in the Senior/ Intermediate/ or Junior championships; is it goal- difference or head-to-head that decides which team gets ahead of the other in their respective group? I have heard contrasting opinions on this!!! Are the official rules of these championships written down online or elsewhere? Ps. Think Clara might win the championship by a whisker!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Alarm bells going off everywhere at the one sided scorelines from the senior championship!

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

A bit disillusioned with the footy in general. The intercounty championship has been complete muck. Ive found most of the games horrendous to watch. Gaelic football could be dying a death. Fitness and athletism have completely taken over the game in my opinion and the skills are just not important anymore.
People say the GAA needs Dublin to do well but they are cruising to an All Ireland more or less because they have invested so much time and effort in developing athletes to play the game and they have done that very efficiently albeit with with huge financial backing and population. And it looks like they will control it for a while to come.
Id neary go as far as to say that I would like to see the hand pass removed from the game completely or restricted. It may force players into kicking more and having to be skillfull. A very fit but limited footballer may struggle a bit more then. Radical maybe but I dont know, Ive lost all interest in watching it. Dont get me wrong Ive played a huge amount of football and enjoyed it hugely but their is very little entertainment the way the game has gone. Hurling is just on a different planet with the entertainment value it is providing.

Back to the Offaly championship. From what I have seen the standard is terribly poor. Id say Rhode are 10 or 12 points a weaker team than they had around 2005 to 2008. But they are still cruising through most games even though they have slipped back themselves. A number of teams in the senior chamopionship would struggle at intermediate level in other counties. Nobody showing any great protential in the intermediate either. Probably between Raheen and Shamrocks but its very very poor football.

A very negative post I know but im just sensing that there is very little interest in the county and alot of players are not too bothered anymore. Its not that long ago that the club standard was quiet decent in the county.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Have to agree wit timber.

Its all about being an athlete at inter county level now. The lads who are miles ahead of the rest like Brogan, O Donoghue, Flynn, Connolly are all athletes with ability.

The club football in Offaly is dead. Great to see tullamore winning last year. Cant beat the underdog winning but apart from that its fairly straight forward wins for the favourite temas.

Hopefully the Senior B introduction will give a more competitive championship next year!! There has to be a positive to it.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

I agree with points made about the standard of inter county football. The old skills seem to neglected in favour of strength and physique, is the natural talent being coached out of players?.
I suggest that after receiving a handpass, that player must kick the ball.

Football at home is at a low ebb, 2 poor games on Sunday evening, Rhode not tested by St. Rynagh's, while Gracefield pulled away from a battling St. Brigid's. The attendance i'd say was less than 100, and small crowds are the norm at championship matches now.
Paying 50 cent for a team sheet, which is handed out free at other venues is too much!!.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Have to agree the club football scene in Offaly is terrible poor, but as a whole in the country its all about fitness and conditioning . Of the games this year at county level I have been to 5 county hurling games and a good few club hurling games and enjoyed them all even though one or two games were one sided . Compare that to the football, I went to a few games and I just didn't enjoy it at all, I to have played football for years in the days when you had to play football , not this craic of fisting the ball from the full back line all the way down the pitch reach your half forward line and then be met with a wall of defenders and then you have to turn back and start fisting the ball across the field because god forbid anyone kicked the ball. I find myself turning on the football on TV looking forward to a game on a Sunday and then after 20 mins either falling asleep or changing channel . The hurling last weekend was just gripping from start to finish in the worst weather possible. In the club football scene in Offaly I am going for a Rhode v Edenderry final , both teams are putting up big scores and conceding very little and for the sake of Offaly football a local derby is badly needed to spice things up a bit . Raheens are looking very strong in the intermediate , Shamrocks, Durrow and Cappincur all in with a shout . The Junior A is looking very likely to be Clonbullouges with Clonmore and Daingean in the hunt to . Anyone know what is the format for next year , 8 teams in senior , how many in senior B ,how many in intermediate etc ?

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

The only way to stop the slow and laboured hand-passing is to either penalize (1) this behaviour or to give incentive (2) to players to kick pass.

Possible options:

(1) Restrict number of consecutive hand passes (restriction to one is probably too harsh)
(1) Restrict zones of hand-passing (Hand-passing can only be executed from inside 45s)
(1) Restrict number of players in each zone (only 6 players from either side [exception of keeper] can be inside their own 45 at any given time)
(1) Restrict the total number of hand passes in a game per team... would add excitement if a team reached their quota after 50mins and from there on they would have to kick every ball
(1) Restrict direction of hand pass (Hand-passes can ONLY be forward or hand passes can ONLY be backward)
(1) Create a "shot clock" like in basketball where you have a certain period of time to score

(2) Introduce a mark for a caught kick pass longer than 30m
(2) Introduce a mark for a caught kick after 2 consecutive 20/30m kick passes (rules out marks for kick outs)
(2) Introduce an "advantage" for a caught kick after 2 consecutive 20/30m kick passes

Would like to hear other ideas / suggestions.

I agree some of these suggestions might be unmanageable and might even slow the game up further, so please suggest alternatives instead of criticizing suggestions.
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think 1 of the main problems with Football is that teams all tend to play the exact same way...soon as a team is successful then all the other teams try to copy that model until someone wins doing something slightly different & then that becomes the only way football should be played.

I must admit that I have enjoyed watching Dublin this year...RTE commentary aside which is actually quite nauseating to listen to when Dublin are involved, they have been a superb team to watch & they do play a great brand of football that no other county can really do!!

I think a lot of the rules suggested would be very hard to referee at club level when we have so few people making themselves available to ref nowadays...but 2 changes I would like to see at least tried is teams playing 13 a side which I think would mean less blanket defense & I'd also like to see 2 points awarded for scores outside of 45 yards from play...this might help to encourage more long distant score taking by players & thus negate the blanket defense approach completely as this really only works if teams continually try to work the ball in close to goals to score!!
The Untouchable

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

So after tonights results we know 5 of the 8 teams in senior B next year Walsh Island, Tubber, Ballycumber, Kilcormac/ killoughey and Raheen.

Likely quarter finals in senior will be Ferbane vs Gracefield and Tullamore vs Clara. The second of these a repeat of the semi final last year with Tullamore winning, if my memory seves me correct Clara finished with 12 or 13 men and were lucky not to have another one or two sent off.

Goodsupporter11
Junior A
Club: Offaly

Post by Goodsupporter11 »

Have the times & places for the 1/4 finals been set yet?

Truesupporter
Junior A

Post by Truesupporter »

Senior Football Quarter finals:
O Connor Park, Saturday 6th September
Ferbane vs Grace field at 4pm and at 5.30pmTullamore vs Clara .

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Edenderry v Gracefield /. Clara v Rhode semi final pairings for 2014 championship . An Edenderry v Rhode final for me still.

elmoceltic
Junior C
Club: them all

Post by elmoceltic »

Was it an open draw

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

No, group winners were kept apart, at both senior and intermediate.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kingscounty wrote:Edenderry v Gracefield /. Clara v Rhode semi final pairings for 2014 championship . An Edenderry v Rhode final for me still.
don't know there hasn't been much about Gracefield they have been the darkhorses all year be great
for offaly football if they won the county again 1984 the last time .