Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No rush to be played? Ever heard of Shamrocks, Tullamore and Drumcullen? Probably not, but maybe think of someone else for a change.

The mind games have begun.

The Final is on Sunday in OCP. Deal with it. And don't be all day coming out for the second half. Some of the Rynagh's players might want to see the football on the television.
shannonbanks14 wrote:Well done our seniors on sunday, back in search of the holy grail at last.Semis all about the result, hopfully one more good hour can do the job.Unbelievable decision by the county board to fix intermediate final for next sun OCP at 1(All Ireand Football Sunday). Only a week turnaround from semi for a competiton that is in no rush to be played.Some of the rynaghs players had planned to go to the football match.Also surely playing the game in birr the following weekend would have created a decent atmosphere and a few quid for the county board, something very fishy about the whole thing!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:No rush to be played? Ever heard of Shamrocks, Tullamore and Drumcullen? Probably not, but maybe think of someone else for a change.

The mind games have begun.

The Final is on Sunday in OCP. Deal with it. And don't be all day coming out for the second half. Some of the Rynagh's players might want to see the football on the television.
I would imagine that Shamrocks, Tullamore and Drumcullen would much prefer if St Rynaghs had a decent recovery time after contesting a much more competitive semi-final. Surely it is not too much to expect our County Board to give County-Finalists 2 weeks to prepare for a County-Final and that no County-Final be fixed on the day of an All-Ireland Senior Final. The Intermediate Hurling Final is second only to the Senior Hurling Final and not just a match to get "out of the way".

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Mind games what crap!what difference would waiting an extra week have made, the final has been belittled as sharp eye said(when he made total sense),more atmosphere in a graveyard than OCP for club games, which brings back the argument to all who know anything about the game why not birr the home of hurling in offaly for these games,and by the way some of the rynaghs lads have played senior club football all year,some have played for the county and been captain so their entitled to have an interest in the all ireland football final.In any other county with the all ireland hurling and football finals on they wouldnt have a club final the same day.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm around too long, chap, not to recognise mind games emanating from the town when I see one. If it moves like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck . . . guess what?

I don't see the problem with playing the match on the wide open spaces of the County Ground. That only adds to the occasion, not belittles it, in my view. Seems to me ye have become all agoraphobic in there in town.
shannonbanks14 wrote:Mind games what crap!what difference would waiting an extra week have made, the final has been belittled as sharp eye said(when he made total sense),more atmosphere in a graveyard than OCP for club games, which brings back the argument to all who know anything about the game why not birr the home of hurling in offaly for these games,and by the way some of the rynaghs lads have played senior club football all year,some have played for the county and been captain so their entitled to have an interest in the all ireland football final.In any other county with the all ireland hurling and football finals on they wouldnt have a club final the same day.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'm around too long, chap, not to recognise mind games emanating from the town when I see one. If it moves like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck . . . guess what?

I don't see the problem with playing the match on the wide open spaces of the County Ground. That only adds to the occasion, not belittles it, in my view. Seems to me ye have become all agoraphobic in there in town.
shannonbanks14 wrote:Mind games what crap!what difference would waiting an extra week have made, the final has been belittled as sharp eye said(when he made total sense),more atmosphere in a graveyard than OCP for club games, which brings back the argument to all who know anything about the game why not birr the home of hurling in offaly for these games,and by the way some of the rynaghs lads have played senior club football all year,some have played for the county and been captain so their entitled to have an interest in the all ireland football final.In any other county with the all ireland hurling and football finals on they wouldnt have a club final the same day.
You would think the way you're going on that what is written here will make a difference on Sunday.

The valid point being raised is that it is strange to have a county final the same day as an All Ireland final.

The venue is also a poor choice for supporters of both clubs, and I doubt many neutrals from south offaly will go to the game, whereas if it was in Birr you would have a good few wander in from around the area. That is a fact borne out by quite a number of people I met during the week who said they wouldn't be going over to the game. Before you accuse me of mind games I actually think the venue should suit Rynaghs as they have more experience playing in Tullamore
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

pure madness playing it the day of the all ireland and in tullamore to boot, it will be watched by one man and his dog. :(

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't have a dog . . . 8)
townman wrote:pure madness playing it the day of the all ireland and in tullamore to boot, it will be watched by one man and his dog. :(

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I don't have a dog . . . 8)
townman wrote:pure madness playing it the day of the all ireland and in tullamore to boot, it will be watched by one man and his dog. :(
of course there will be alot of supporters from Lusmagh there and it will be great to see them back senior, but they might have got
a few more if it was on the saturday .

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

The Intermediate final should not be played in Tullamore with this pairing and given it is the only match on! A packed Rath would lead to a great atmosphere, or are they hoping to defuse any flashpoints by bringing it to OCP?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

The County Board will suffer greatly by playing the second most important hurling county final on a date and at a venue which is most unsuitable for fans. The local press were given very little time to help promote this final. It has all the hallmarks of "get it out of the way". The date and venue will have no effect on the outcome of the game as the Lusmagh Players were all playing Senior Hurling last year, while the Rynaghs players were playing Junior Hurling. I dont think that any of the Rynaghs 6 forwards that started last year's county final are available this year. It is a David v Goliath clash.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A memorable day for the small parish in Tullamore today, beating 'Rynagh's 4-11 to 2-14 in a pulsating match. Everyone played a part, I'm not going to single anyone out, you couldn't. Brilliant!!

Declan Tanner, returned following a broke finger, scored the first goal, a ball that dropped into the net from 50 years out. Eoin Kelly came upfield to bury a 20m free to the net two minutes later after Austen Lynch again was held in possession. The key moment of the match came three months later when Aidan Hanrahan was sprung from the bench and took his place at full-forward. five minutes later the sub might have scored a goal - Austen Lynch's shot hit the crossbar, Hanno got on the rebound but his first-time shot rolled wide. Level after 30 minutes, Lusmagh took a three point lead to the dressing-room, someone connecting with Gary Kelly's long free and the ball finished up in the net.

Leading 2-5 to 1-5 at half-time, Eoin Kelly's penalty goal made it 3-6 to 1-6 after 37 minutes. Rynagh's reeled off four points in as many minutes, reducing the gap to two. The gap was three when Aidan Hanrahan fielded Eoin Quinlan's ball in, turned and buried it for 4-9 to 1-12. 4-10 to 1-14 going into stoppage time, Alan Camon's goal made it 4-10 to 2-14 but Eoin Kelly put three in it with a long-range free.

The celebrations began and a parish, which had held it's breath for 60 minutes, could breath again.

A big crowd made the trip, the atmosphere was electric as both sides got behind their teams. Great to see the flags up around the parish, greater still to see so many who wouldn't be regular matchgoers making the trip and being part of what was a memorable occasion.

It was disapponting that one of the papers, in a preview, expected sendings off today. That was unlikely, fact is it's 20 years since a player was sent off in a Shanninside derby. It's over five years since lusmagh had a man sent off in Senior or Intermediate championship.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Congrats to Lusmagh, a quick and well deserved return to the senior ranks. They probably struggle with numbers more than others and to be able to get everyone on board to win an intermediate championship after holding their own in senior for many years is testament to all involved. Great hurling club and always enjoyed the tussles we had with them down through the years. It'll also be a big lift to the youngsters in the area to see their local heros bring home a championship. Well done.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

A good win yesterday for Lusmagh. Like in the donegal match, goals win games, and Lusmaghs 4 goals were vital to their cause, espescially the last one as it really knocked the rynaghs lads.
I would have to say that Hanrahans introduction was vital, and while he did miss a sitter soon after, his other contributions were very important for the reds.
being relegated may have been the best thing to have happened to Lusmagh for years as they will now return to the senior ranks with that winning feeling under their belts. I hope they give Leinster a rattle after they drink banagher dry
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

well done lusmagh goals do indeed win games, and it was a good sporting one.well done rynaghs it was a great effort from our second team that just fell short.well done our u14s on sat winning the A final versus a very decent KK team, roll on sunday week.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Cheers for the good wishes, bloggs. Sound. I do agree that relegation and subsequent promotion is more beneficial than staying Senior would have been.

Now when's that portar lorry coming to town to replenish stocks?
joe bloggs wrote:A good win yesterday for Lusmagh. Like in the donegal match, goals win games, and Lusmaghs 4 goals were vital to their cause, espescially the last one as it really knocked the rynaghs lads.
I would have to say that Hanrahans introduction was vital, and while he did miss a sitter soon after, his other contributions were very important for the reds.
being relegated may have been the best thing to have happened to Lusmagh for years as they will now return to the senior ranks with that winning feeling under their belts. I hope they give Leinster a rattle after they drink banagher dry