Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The master fixtures plan lists the second round of the SHC/IHC for Sunday 10th June with the stipend "if". Now, I'm not sure if this is 'if' the hurlers beat Wexford or 'if' the hurlers lose to Wexford.

Perhaps it's if they lose to Wexford, because if they beat Wexford they would be playing Galway the following weekend. What Offaly Senior footbal panellists are expected to play club Senior hurling?

I see Round 3 is fixed for Sunday 22nd July.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

Paddy Power odds

Coolderry 2/5 Draw 10/1 K/K 2/1
Brosna Gaels 8/11 Draw 9/1 Shamrocks 6/5
Tullamore 15/8 Draw 9/1 St. Ryanaghs 4/9
Shinrone 1/8 Draw 14/1 Drumcullen 9/2
Birr 1/16 Draw 20/1 Belmont 6/1
Seir Kieran 4/6 Draw 9/1 Kinnity 5/4

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't bet, and won't be betting here, but I still keep an eye on bookies' stuff. These odds are just wrong. Whadd'ya think, Lone Shark?
the weasel wrote:Paddy Power odds
K/K 2/1
Drumcullen 9/2

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Jaysus I don't know. I certainly wouldn't be inclined to trust Coolderry who I would assume aren't long back in training, but even so K/K should still be clear outsiders here. Maybe not 2/1, but as near as makes no difference.

As for Drumcullen, if it was 9/1 maybe, but even allowing for Shinrone consistently failing to live up to their potential, they had essentially the second best U21 team this year and they are top of the league with six wins from six - there's something badly wrong if they go from that to losing to Drumcullen.

9/2 corresponds with a five point handicap in hurling. If it was Shinrone -5 or Drumcullen +5 at even money, I know I'd want to be with Shinrone- but then that's just one opinion.

I actually think the bookies have called these more or less correctly.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Certainly Gerry
Junior B

Post by Certainly Gerry »

Could be money to be made with a double on Brosna and Clareen me thinks.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Read a preview of the Lusmgagh v Ballinamere IHC game on Lusmagh dot com here -
http://lusmagh.com/category/gaa/

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

sean robbins coming back to banagher great u21 tem with dermy horan back this year to get the scores, shes done and dusted.

allsorts
Junior B

Post by allsorts »

Lone Shark wrote:Doon's pitch would certainly be big enough and good enough, though I'd say Pullough or Ballycumber would be a little bit closer to the natural heart of Brosna Gaels really.
i think this comment is a bit off the mark, Brosna Gaels grew to an adult team from the original Doon Og set up...
and continues to have a committee and players from throughout the parish

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

shannonbanks14 wrote:sean robbins coming back to banagher great u21 tem with dermy horan back this year to get the scores, shes done and dusted.
Hahahahahahahahaha....... Ur a funny man :)

shannonbanks14
County player

Post by shannonbanks14 »

Funny but true, and offaly wont be anytin either till rynaghs come back, last time we won anything the majority of panel were rynaghs and birr lads.club hurling was strong to not like now. rynaghs set to dominate like it or lump it :D

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

shannonbanks14 wrote:Funny but true, and offaly wont be anytin either till rynaghs come back, last time we won anything the majority of panel were rynaghs and birr lads.club hurling was strong to not like now. rynaghs set to dominate like it or lump it :D
Ah will ya stop, we've been hearing about rynaghs going to dominate for the last 10years and ye haven't even got to one final. What makes this year any different. Yer a top4 team at best and that's being generous. But come the end of October If I'm proven wrong i'll hold my hands up, can't see it though.

thecornerback
Junior C

Post by thecornerback »

Clearly shannonbanks14 is only trying to get a reaction allstar. Hes probably not even from Rynagh's! rynaghs have a good team and should be challenging in the next few years but nobody from rynaghs believes theyre set to dominate! dont rise to it!

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

Are we having a predictions competition this year...Lone Shark maybe you could organise something :)
Anyway, here's my take on the weekend's matched.

Friday evening
Coolderry v Kilcormac at Birr
I think Coolderry will have too much for KK, even though they probably only have a few weeks training done. Kilcormac will feel this is a great opportunity to take a big scalp but I think Coolderry will have too much firepower for them, particularly if Grogan is missing from the backline. Coolderry by 5 or 6.

Saturday evening
Brosna Gaels v Rahan at OCP at 7pm
Probably the toughest game of the weekend to call. I don't know a great deal about either team but I fancy Shamrocks to maybe shade this one by a couple of points, especially if Derek Molloy is at his best. Shamrocks by 3

Sunday
Rynagh's v Tullamore at OCP at 3pm
I fancy Rynagh's to come through here. The U-21 win will have given them a boost and I expect a good few of them to be involved - Quirke, O'Connor and Lyons if he's not injured. I think I'm right in saying they've beaten Tullamore in their previous 2 meetings. Also, Tullamore tend to be slow starters so this is a good time to be meeting them. Rynagh's by 5.

Drumcullen v Shinrone at Carrig at 3pm
I think Shinrone will win this one pulling away. They have a good young team and a lot will depend on how and where Del Morkan plays. Drumcullen will fight hard and Conor Gath will punish and frees Shinrone give away but I think Shinrone have the better hurlers and will win by 8 or 9 points.

Belmont v Birr at 5.30pm (Lusmagh)
I think Birr will probably come through here with 4 or 5 points to spare. I believe they're carrying a few injuries, especially in the backs (Verney,O'Meara & Hannify) but I think they'll still be too strong for Belmont. 6/1 with Powers is a huge price though and I expect it to be closer than that. A lot will depend on Dylan Hayden and how he performs after being out injured for some time. Birr by 3.

Clareen v Kinnitty at Lusmagh at 7pm
I really fancy Clareen here and think they will be much too strong for Kinnity. Kinnity had a terrible year last year and even though their league form suggests they have improved I still think Clareen will be too good. James Mulrooney will be missing but they still have 6 or 7 other in with the county and this will stand to them. It's also probably the reason behind their poor league from. Clareen by 7 or 8.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Someone should contact Hoganstand to let them know that one of the contributors has escaped over to here! :wink:

Snowman
Junior C
Club: X

Post by Snowman »

shannonbanks14 wrote:sean robbins coming back to banagher great u21 tem with dermy horan back this year to get the scores, shes done and dusted.

Rynaghs me eye-ball - wouldnt be one bit suprised if they are bet well by Tullamore, after last weekends u-21 success a lot of them probably over-indulged...