Páirc Uí Chaoimh to OCP in 180 minutes

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Páirc Uí Chaoimh to OCP in 180 minutes

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Anyone going to try it? Myself, I’ll go to Cork but I won’t be rushing back. I’ll drink a relaxing pint of Murphys while I’m by de Banks!

For anyone going to make it back to OCP, it probably is do-able, what with the motorway all the way from Dunkettle to Portlaoise. Problems will be getting from the Park to the tunnel on the one hand, which will be dependent on the size of the crowd, and getting through Portlaoise on the other. The Leix v Tipperary qualifier will be finishing up around 6.30pm.

Above all, drive carefully and don’t take unnecessary chances.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Re: Páirc Uí Chaoimh to OCP in 150 minutes

Post by black and red exile »

Will give it a go myself POTH, I don't expect to make the throw in for the football but should make most of it, Im exhausted even thinking about it :)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Portlaoise can be bypassed by taking the first exit off the motorway. To make it you would have to get to Dunkettle from the park in half an hour which would be very tough. Wouldnt fancy trying it myself.
"Ohhh mamma!"

black and red exile
All Star

bula bula where is the first exit off the motorway?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I wont overdo it but I'll have my ear to the radio and if it's close I'll try and make the second half. God bless motorways!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That would be the one after the toll-booth which would be on the Borris-in-Ossory (Roscrea) road out of Portlaoise. Carry on past Lewis Opel garage, into Portlaoise, straight through the first 2 roundabouts (a right at the 2nd of those brings you to OMP), and before you hit the town there is a left turn which will bring you back onto the Mountmellick Road. Not sure precisely how you do this, but it avoids OMP and the Town Centre.
black and red exile wrote:bula bula where is the first exit off the motorway?

black and red exile
All Star

Fair play to ya POTH, Ill follow that, it will be a relief to avoid the town centre.

KingLurk
Junior B

Post by KingLurk »

Are you basing that on 3pm throw in? If so you, you have an extra half hour, throw in at 2.30 in Cork

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Páirc Uí Chaoimh to OCP in 180 minutes

I was, Lurk. So the hurlers now have to be on the road 30 minutes earlier. Title of the thread changed. I'm still staying for a Murphys anyway :)
KingLurk wrote:Are you basing that on 3pm throw in? If so you, you have an extra half hour, throw in at 2.30 in Cork

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

[removed message]

Realised on the way in this moring that POTH's directions were spot on - I was mixed up in my roundabouts :)
Last edited by Treasurer on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

I really hope the hurling wasn't brought forward half an hour to give people a chance to make the football aswell. Cork and Tullamore are just too far apart to be realistically looking to (safely) make both games, outside of moving the games further apart time wise as has been done.
The thing is 3pm was plenty early enough for the hurling considering most of us have a few bits to do on a Saturday morning that we didn't get round to because of work during the week. To have to do the 2 and a half hour(ish) drive for the earlier throw in is pushing it slightly... looks like the missus will have to cut the lawns herself this week (she won't be happy!!)

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: The Leix v Tipperary qualifier will be finishing up around 6.30pm.
Laois and Tipp are playing at 7.

Assuming leaving Cork at 4.15 to 4.30, I'd imagine ye'd be coming through Portlaoise about 6 to 6.15, well before the huge crowds which will no doubt be flocking to Pairc Ui Mhordha!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

bula bula wrote:Portlaoise can be bypassed by taking the first exit off the motorway. To make it you would have to get to Dunkettle from the park in half an hour which would be very tough. Wouldnt fancy trying it myself.
I've often been below at Dunkettle 20 minutes after the final at club games down at PUC. They won't be a big crowd at the this game. I leave the car on the Blackrock side of PUC, just off Church Rd/Blackrock hurling club, walk down Barringtons Ave, Atlantic Pond onto the stadium. 10 min brisk walk from the car. Going home through Blackrock, Mahon,Tunnel, Roundabout. I reckon 30 minutes to Dunkettle is very easy unless they are roadwords in Mahon.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the game is at 2.30 i think.