O'Byrne Cup 2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly v DCU

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Newstalk reporting a 0-17 to 0-8 win for DCU, including a run of 7 points without reply for the students.
From Irish Independent

AN impressive Dublin City University side gave a fine display of sharp-shooting as they recorded a very comfortable win over Offaly in Rhode last night.

The students were far fitter and sharper than the home side and their place against Kildare in Newbridge on Sunday was assured well before the final whistle was blown.

Offaly started brightly enough and they were the better side for the opening quarter. They led by 0-4 to 0-1 after just six minutes, but this was as good as it got for them.

The hosts continued to hold their own for most of the rest of the half, but DCU became increasingly potent as it wore on.

With Donie Shine and Shane Roche in fine form up front, they didn't miss anything and they were level, at 0-4 apiece, after 23 minutes.

John Coughlan blasted over the bar with the goal at his mercy for Offaly in the 25th minute, but DCU took over control subsequently as they strode into a 0-8 to 0-6 half-time lead.

The second half was one-way traffic towards the Offaly goal as DCU totally dominated.

The Midlanders ran out of steam and ideas and DCU could afford the luxury of introducing five substitutes -- none of whom weakened their overall team performance.

They were 0-15 to 0-6 ahead before Offaly got their only two scores of the second half from frees by Ken Casey and Noel Graham.

DCU finished well and points from Bryan Cullen and Martin McElhinney put the icing on the cake.

SCORERS - DCU: D Shine 0-5 (0-3f), S Roche 0-4

(0-1f), M McElhinney, C McGuinness 0-2 each, D Kinnan, D O'Gara, B Cullen, M Murphy 0-1 each. Offaly: K Casey 0-4 (0-3f), N Graham (0-1f), C McManus (0-1 '45'), J Reynolds, J Coughlan 0-1 each.

DCU -- R Hennelly; N Collins, K Gavin, S Ormsby; J McCarthy, N McAdam, C Rafferty; F O'Shea, M McElhiney; D Kinnan, D O'Gara, C McGuinness; S Roche, D Shine, D Kelly. Subs: M Murphy for Kinnan (h-t), B Cullen for Rafferty (h-t), B Waters for McGuinness (41), P McMahon for Collins (48), L O'Donovan for Kelly (48).

OFFALY -- A Mulhall; J Keane, S Brady, S Pender; S Lonergan, R Brady, S Ryan; N Smith, R Dalton; N Graham, K Slattery, C McManus;J Reynolds, J Coughlan, K Casey.

Subs: N Dunne for Slattery (45), W Crampton for Smith (49), P Bracken for Dalton (54), W Mulhall for Reynolds (64), M Cocoman for Ryan (64).

REF -- D Gough (Meath)

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Bryan Cullen must have just about studied every course in DCU at this stage. Either that or the questions just have not suited him in exams.

Poor show last night. Was expected as college side had alot of training under their belt. Not much good to report but Slattery badly needed at half back. Both Lonergan and Ryan are a bit at sea. Ryan to be fair is not a backs man.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Long John wrote: Both Lonergan and Ryan are a bit at sea. Ryan to be fair is not a backs man.
I would argue that of the two of these players, Stephen Lonergan is closer to being the traditional "forward". I'd also be happy to see Seán Ryan given some time here, given that it's not a position where we have a lot of strong contenders, other than Slattery of course. It's a trademark move of Tom Cribbin's to make a forward into an attacking half back and Seán ticks a lot of the boxes for that.

One could argue that the modern half forward is more defensive than the modern wing back anyway.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyguy
Junior B

Post by offalyguy »

I though Ryan had a decent game in the backs. Great to see Joe Quinn back in the fold. Could be in contention for full-back?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

offalyguy wrote:I though Ryan had a decent game in the backs. Great to see Joe Quinn back in the fold. Could be in contention for full-back?
I thought myself he was far too loose. His man picked up an amount of ball to set up attacks. Its well and good being good going forward but a backs priority is to snuff out the opposition attack. I dont feel he does that. Dont get me wrong, I like Ryan as a footballer and think he offers something to the team, not in my opinion as a half back though. Offaly cant be looking at an attacking half back line because the bottom line is they havent the players in Midfield to give that platform and I dont think anybody in there beside Slattery is capable of not just doing it well but doing it wisely.

Regarding Quinn, yes totally agree it would be a great boost if he could nail down the full back position. Id like to Scott either at 6 or midfield. Ross I just dont rate in the slightest. Very over rated player.

offalyguy
Junior B

Post by offalyguy »

Yea Id like to see scott at 6 or even midfield with Smith, ross tends to hit the ball long everytime with about 1 out of 5 kicks hitting its intended destination. I dont think Dalton is up to the standard at all, Its crucial we have a steady partnership in midfield throughout the league and into the championship.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

how did the younger lads and new lads do, ie noel graham, J Keane, willie crampton and padraig bracken( good to see him there and should be challenging for a champ spot with a bit of experience unde his belt)????
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

offalyguy wrote: I dont think Dalton is up to the standard at all, Its crucial we have a steady partnership in midfield throughout the league and into the championship.
You better get used to it. Cribbin is determined to try and make young Dalton into a footballer. Its been painfully obvious in the 5 championship games and the league games he's played so far that he has been woefully out of his depth but Cribbin persists and I expect him to continue to persist with him. Because of Cribbin I expect this to be a dire year for the footballers......but thats for another day. I think Scott is our best bet for full back, I don't think he he has the legs to play midfield at intercounty. As for Ross I've never really seen what he offers, maybe I'd have him as a sub.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: O'Byrne Cup 2011

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly crushed Longford today in the O'Byrne shield. 1-9 to 1-8.

offalyguy
Junior B

Post by offalyguy »

Dublin next week

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

bracknaghboy wrote:
offalyguy wrote: I dont think Dalton is up to the standard at all, Its crucial we have a steady partnership in midfield throughout the league and into the championship.
You better get used to it. Cribbin is determined to try and make young Dalton into a footballer. Its been painfully obvious in the 5 championship games and the league games he's played so far that he has been woefully out of his depth but Cribbin persists and I expect him to continue to persist with him.

This is the same Dalton that roasted everyone's favourite son McManus in the club championship in 2010???

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Dunne points the way as Offaly hold off Longford comeback
Offaly 1-9
Longford 1-8

Monday January 17 2011

Nigel Dunne's five points helped an experimental Offaly outfit get the better of Longford in a lacklustre encounter at Pearse Park yesterday.

Tom Cribbin's men were three points up at half-time, having played with the breeze, but Longford quickly used the wind advantage to full effect on the resumption and a Noel Farrell goal helped them draw level with 20 minutes remaining.

As the game entered the final quarter, both sides were reduced to 14 men -- Longford's Paul Kelly was red-carded when his arm caught the head of Karol Slattery, and Offaly's Niall Smith was sent off for punching Donal McElligott.

Offaly, though, were less affected and took the lead. Longford did have a chance to force the game into extra-time, when Bernard McElvaney pushed forward in a last-ditch attack, but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Slattery denied him with a terrific block.

The hosts had started intently and had a golden opportunity to bag an early goal, but full-forward Sean McCormack drilled a shot straight at Offaly 'keeper Eoin Brennan.

The visitors took the lead for the first time in the 21st minute, when a sweeping move ended with a fine goal from Brian Kelly.

Despite the introduction of Slattery and Ciaran McManus, Offaly struggled after the break and Longford came back into contention, but Dunne's scores proved decisive.

Scorers -- Offaly: N Dunne 0-5 (1f), B Kelly 1-0, S Lonergan, S Ryam, N A Graham, C McManus 0-1 each. Longford: N Farrell 1-0, D McElligorr 0-3 (2f), S McCormack 0-2, B McElvaney, D Barden 0-1 each.

Offaly -- E Brennan; M Cocoman, B Kehoe, J Keane; S Lonergan, C Kelly,S Ryan; N Smith, P Bracken; NA Graham, J Coughlan, B Kelly; W Mulhall, W Crampton, N Dunne. Subs: S Pender for Kehoe (21), K Slattery for Mulhall (h-t), C McManus for WCrampton (h-t), R Dalton for Coughlan (69).

Longford -- J McKenna; T Gallagher, B Gilleran, D Brady; S Mulligan, E Williams, G Farrell; J O'Shea, B McElvaney; P Kelly, D McElligott, D Barden; N Farrell, S McCormack, W Crawford. Subs: P Foy for Mulligan (59), D Reilly for Brady (59).

Ref -- P Finnegan (Louth).

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Who's that C.Kelly centre back?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Misprint from the paper - Ciarán Kiely of Gracefield.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

And the B Kehoe? what clubman is he?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything